Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2007, 02:35 PM

2 posts, read 8,664 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend is moving down to Baltimore from New Jersey. He is bringing with him his older female omega (non agressive) friendly, terrific, docile pit bull. I have a cat...and currently live in a house with three other people.

The plan was to live in my house until the lease is up, then find somewhere else for the two of us...however, in doing some random research, I've found that almost no one will allow a pit bull to live in their home. We really would like to stay downtown in the nicer areas.

Does anyone know of any resources available to search for pit friendly housing...or any specific landlords or management companies that allow pit bulls?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone may offer.

Also - Washington Village/Pig Town - any opinions? Safe? Clean?

Thanks! Stephanie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 06:27 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,569,875 times
Fells Point, Patterson Park and Butchers Hill are very dog friendly, and there are a number of pleasant pitts walked on a daily basis in Patterson Park. As to finding a place to rent, you most likely need to stay away from the big rental companies. I found my old rental via craigslist, and the owner didn't mind that I had two dogs. Perhaps, putting up an ad with an inquiry when you are ready to move would find you a landlord who knows that all pits aren't bad.

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 10-16-2007 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: Deleted upinflamzz post

Old 10-10-2007, 02:15 PM

13,323 posts, read 26,772,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supergirl21030 View Post
or any specific landlords or management companies that allow pit bulls?
Craiglist is a good idea. Maybe you should also run an ad in the Baltimore City paper.

Pit Bulls have been getting a lot of bad press in the newspapers lately. The papers have been saying that they are always associated with drug dealers and people running dog fights. Best of luck with you apartment hunt.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:56 PM

269 posts, read 1,050,535 times
You might want to consider Hampden too.
We took our dogs to the Wyman Park and saw a good number of pits and pitmixes - we have a rottweiler mix and a boxer/pit mix.

If your dog isn't aggressive, you won't have issues in the dog friendly neighborhoods.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:13 PM

168 posts, read 1,209,290 times
I don't think the issue is a dog friendly neighborhood or not...the issue is specifically a pit bull in a rental. I would never rent to someone with a pit bull. I understand she's friendly and super nice, but that's what everyone says about the pit who just bit someone. The risk of liablity is too high in my opinion. In fairness, I would also not rent to someone with a Rottweiler, a Doberman, or a number of other dogs which are naturally protective. It is part of their instinct to "protect" and they can kill while doing so. If properly trained and socialized, these are all great dogs, but not everyone trains and socializes their dogs well...and how is a landlord to know whether you did a good job? No one is going to say they want to rent with a really nasty pit bull....they would lie if they had a nasty one, so again--how is a landlord to know?

FYI, this is the same with home ownership. With certain breeds the homeowners insurance is far higher than with say...a lab. A pit bull would invariably fall into this category and cost you more.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:26 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,542,460 times
I will try not to judge a book by it's cover. I have known friendly pits but they are few and far between and I automatically get nervous while I am walking my dogs and see a pit. Thank God I don't see as many as I used to see but I am still careful. Sorry for being judgemental but they have created quite a stir. (Not their faults; usually the owners.)

Old 10-12-2007, 07:28 PM

168 posts, read 1,209,290 times
I agree with jonjj...I get nervous whenever I see a pit bull. I don't understand why anyone would own one, knowing that people get nervous around them and knowing how many people do use them to dog fight, etc. To me, it seems like anyone who decides to get one must really want to scare the #$# out of people. Otherwise, why wouldn't you get anything BUT a pit bull?

Old 10-15-2007, 04:28 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,569,875 times
Default Perhaps its kindness

Adoptable, friendly pitt bulls are increasingly available at adoption centers because of the number of puppies that are found or seized. Perhaps people adopt pit bulls out of kindness and hope that when people meet a friendly pit bull, which I do often in th park, that the myth that all pit bulls are agressive will be proven false.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:44 PM

13,908 posts, read 39,079,600 times
Heads up! it was on tonites news that in Baltimore MD they are trying to band pitbulls!
If you haven't move yet & love your dog ... I think you need to look into another area.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:13 PM

2 posts, read 10,293 times
Default Wyman Park - very dog friendly

Look in Hampden, Remington, Wyman Park, or anywhere around Johns Hopkins university (not hospital). Wyman Park, which is very close to all of those areas, is incredibly dog friendly. Nobody freaks out about what kind of dog you have, as long as you are a responsible owner (pick up its poop, pay attention and intervene if play gets too rough, etc.).

Remember, unless there is specific language prohibiting specific breeds of dogs, you don't have to tell the landlord what kind of dog you have. Ask if they allow dogs and leave it at that. Some may have weight restrictions, but other than that you should be fine. Just don't volunteer the information that it's a pit.

Contact a pit rescue group in the area - maybe they can help?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore