Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2013, 09:55 PM

5 posts, read 10,775 times

Advertisements

So as we know, a lot of people talk about a lot of negative things involving Baltimore. We all know Baltimore has it's rough patches, but I decided to start a positive thread. When people think of Baltimore, they think of "Drugs, crime, dangerous, etc." And in fact never been to Baltimore to experience it personally. Just like any other city, Baltimore has it's specific areas you have to watch out for. Baltimore have some of the best city-wide schools available (Dunbar, Poly Tech, NAF, BSFTA, etc.) You pay include anything here, just remember to keep it positive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 10:34 PM

11,369 posts, read 9,282,640 times
What makes Baltimore worth it despite the negatives?

Old 01-01-2013, 10:58 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,034,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loading View Post
So as we know, a lot of people talk about a lot of negative things involving Baltimore. We all know Baltimore has it's rough patches, but I decided to start a positive thread. When people think of Baltimore, they think of "Drugs, crime, dangerous, etc." And in fact never been to Baltimore to experience it personally. Just like any other city, Baltimore has it's specific areas you have to watch out for. Baltimore have some of the best city-wide schools available (Dunbar, Poly Tech, NAF, BSFTA, etc.) You pay include anything here, just remember to keep it positive.
I love this. You are right. I hear so much negativity on the Baltimore C-D board which astonishes me because I certainly don't hear the same negativity in real life Baltimore. If C-D were my only resource on Baltimore, I'd be very misguided. I truly believe there are a few trolls on the Baltimore board with multiple accounts (a few have been confirmed and hopefully banned) so it just seems like there are more unhappy people in Baltimore than there really are, as that just isn't the case in real life. Most people in Baltimore are die-hard for their town and there is a tremendous deal of multi-generational pride. Even transplants can't say enough about how much they love Baltimore.

In any case, thank you for the much-needed breathe of fresh air on this board. I rarely come here for that very reason. I prefer, rather, to talk to the positive voices in Baltimore in real life, versus coming to this predominantly negative board that doesn't match reality.

Thank you for keeping C-D real.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:21 PM

5 posts, read 10,775 times
I know I'm a bit late on this thread, but I would like to share some of my knowledge with you all based on Baltimore. All people do in the "Baltimore" section of the forum; basically is bash Baltimore with negative post (not everyone, but almost everyone). People that try to bash Baltimore by saying things such as "Oh, there's Ally's filled w/ drug needles, trash filled streets." probably haven't experience the whole Baltimore, but better yet when it comes to posting about another city (NYC for example)
"Oh, they have some nice tall buildings, lovely homes." But no one looks at the negative sides of it, oh why? It's because people providing somewhat false unwanted information, and this information is getting in people heads as fully accurate. Before trying to bash a city, take a look at what is has to offer, and the go on about the positives. It's nice providing the negatives so others can be warned, but y'all over think and do to much, and make it seem like a totally different city from what it actually is.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:52 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,482,998 times
I visited Baltimore twice and I really enjoyed myself. I loved it so much that I am leaving NYC and moving to Mount Vernon in a couple of weeks. I look forward to enjoying all of the amenities Mount Vernon and the Inner Harbor has to offer at an affordable price. Yeah!

Old 01-04-2013, 07:46 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,034,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I visited Baltimore twice and I really enjoyed myself. I loved it so much that I am leaving NYC and moving to Mount Vernon in a couple of weeks. I look forward to enjoying all of the amenities Mount Vernon and the Inner Harbor has to offer at an affordable price. Yeah!
That's fabulous! An early welcome!

Old 01-05-2013, 01:25 PM

140 posts, read 256,203 times
Like any other city in America, Baltimore has and has had its issues. Problem is, so mucj of the "problems" have been burned into the collective conscience of the masses through studd like The Wire and other media outlets. That's in addition to people who generalize everything and assume that just because they see, hear or read about the bas things that happen in certain areas, the whole place is like that. (That mindset if off-the-charts rampid in and around Indianapolis, where I currently live—if you wanna even call it that.

Anyway, my point is this: I was stationed at Fort Meade almost three years ago, and during that time I spent a LOT of time up in Baltimore (City and some parts of the surrounding County)...fell in love with the place. Sure its pricey as hell, especially for a single guy (but then the same could be said of the entire Bos/Wash Corridor), but the place was just so full of life, the vibrancy, the energy...all this while also being a blue-collar-type, down-to-earth environment. I got a partner that stays up in Mount Vernon and a homegirl that used to live down in Brooklyn Park, and I used to go hang with folks up in Towson, down in Laurel, Columbia and Odenton, and I spent a lot of time in D.C. too...enough to know you couldn't pay me to live up in there. (I've been all through NYC, and in my opinion the air of smugness and conceit is way higher in the District than it is up there.) And here's the one thing that's always stuck with me: how friendly people were, or at least communicative to passers-by. I should note that I'm a native of northwest Florida, and that central Maryland reminds me a lot of home.

I do miss that place—even more so since I've been trapped out in the corn the past two years and counting—and if I ever get my money right, I still one day hope to get back out there. I've been trying pretty much ever since I got sent away (I wound up in Indiana as a result of a military move—I'm out now though so I'm on my own as far as trying to get back out there). Hopefully one of these days it'll all work out and I can re-assimilate myself back into the Baltimore environs. Can't wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore