U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 09:39 AM

759 posts, read 1,084,584 times

Advertisements

So the Ravens are going to the Super Bowl. So it's the Fourth of July. So it's New Year's Eve. So it's Peanut's birthday. Fill in the celebratory event of your choice...
If your neighborhood is like the ones I've lived in here in Baltimore (Gardenville, "Station North", Upper Fells, Sowebo/Hollins Mkt.) these occasions are marked by drinking, partying, revelry in the streets, honking, fireworks, and lots of gunfire. Why? I've lived in several other urban areas and have never experienced people who mark an ostensibly significant event by discharging weapons in the street. My wife actually called me at work last night to warn me to be careful on the drive home because there were so many shots being fired in our generally (fairly) peaceful NE neighborhood.
Why does this go on? When did it start? Why here? Why is it allowed/condoned/overlooked? I remember that in a riflery class I took as a child being told that a .22 Long round could travel nearly a mile before gravity took it toll and it fell to earth. What goes up must come down, so it must be literally raining bullets. I'm all for people owning whatever weapons they want or feel are necessary, but this sort of behavior is ridiculous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 02:03 PM

1,548 posts, read 2,509,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
So the Ravens are going to the Super Bowl. So it's the Fourth of July. So it's New Year's Eve. So it's Peanut's birthday. Fill in the celebratory event of your choice...
If your neighborhood is like the ones I've lived in here in Baltimore (Gardenville, "Station North", Upper Fells, Sowebo/Hollins Mkt.) these occasions are marked by drinking, partying, revelry in the streets, honking, fireworks, and lots of gunfire. Why? I've lived in several other urban areas and have never experienced people who mark an ostensibly significant event by discharging weapons in the street. My wife actually called me at work last night to warn me to be careful on the drive home because there were so many shots being fired in our generally (fairly) peaceful NE neighborhood.
Why does this go on? When did it start? Why here? Why is it allowed/condoned/overlooked? I remember that in a riflery class I took as a child being told that a .22 Long round could travel nearly a mile before gravity took it toll and it fell to earth. What goes up must come down, so it must be literally raining bullets. I'm all for people owning whatever weapons they want or feel are necessary, but this sort of behavior is ridiculous!
In all my years, I have never experienced this (gunfire in celebration in downtown Baltimore). Are you certain they weren't fireworks? That, I have experienced and witnessed when the Ravens won.

I'm certain if guns were going off, it would have been on the news coverage of the drinking, partying, honking, revelry in the streets that was broadcast. Nope, all that was reported was peaceful cheer, and you know the news. They sniff out even the most innocent situation and make it sound life-threatening, so gunfire in celebration, they would have been drooling over that and it would have been plastered on every network.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:22 PM

102 posts, read 141,104 times
I had some doubts yesterday in Patterson Place. I thought I heard 2 gunshots, I was in shock, my first gunshots in Baltimore. But when I went out to walk my dog a couple of minutes after, there was a smell of birthday cake candles. SO I concluded that was fireworks that I heard. They can be mistaking I think....

Old 01-21-2013, 02:26 PM

123 posts, read 245,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
In all my years, I have never experienced this (gunfire in celebration in downtown Baltimore). Are you certain they weren't fireworks?
OP lives in NE Baltimore, not downtown.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:34 PM

867 posts, read 1,084,046 times
Well down here in Hampton Roads they shoot in the air on July 4th and New Years...and the always have for some time...maybe it comes from the Revo;utionar War or somethin...who knows.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:04 PM

No, while there where fireworks as well, there were plenty of gunshots. This behavior has occurred in all the Baltimore neighborhoods in which I have lived, and I have heard it discussed in the media. Not an isolated incident.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:24 PM

805 posts, read 1,828,946 times
I hear this same **** in Bolton Hill and just wonder what's going to happen in they win the super bowl.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:34 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,166,616 times
If you live on the east or west side, gunshots are quite common for any celebration. I work with a woman who is an avid Ravens fan. When I asked how she enjoyed the game Sunday with the Patriots she replied,
"I was under my bed for an hour waiting for the shooting to stop". So, although not prevalent throughout the city, there are plenty of areas where gunshots (NOT fireworks) are routine to celebrate. It is disheartening.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:42 PM

541 posts, read 496,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
Why does it happen ? Well, it's just the nature of some Baltimorans (or "Baltimorons", take your pick). Not all. But plenty enough.

Now, if you live in the Inner Harbor, you'll find that the Ravens mobs only drink, scream, honk horns all night, and relieve themselves behind parked cars. No shooting. But it's a much classier neighborhood, higher income you know, than the ones you mention.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelian View Post

Now, if you live in the Inner Harbor, you'll find that the Ravens mobs only drink, scream, honk horns all night, and relieve themselves behind parked cars. No shooting. But it's a much classier neighborhood, higher income you know, than the ones you mention.
So, classy, high income persons don't own guns or toilets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore