Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 08:11 AM

8,136 posts, read 13,183,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoregrimey View Post
Plus the city has some upcoming developments for druid hill park as well. As part of federal law they have to secure water systems that are exposed to open air like the druid lake reservoir and ashburton amoung others. Well the city was going to cover the reservoir but many reservoir hill residents fought against the plan citing a drop in property values. Well the city is now proposing covering a small edge of the lake and taking the reservoir out of the public water supply system. They will keep the reservoir open and feed it with another lake within the park. There is a lake within the park that used to be open to the public located near the zoo area. This other lake used to have paddle boats and lots of other recreational activities for the community. They are proposing to reopen this lake and possibly even allow people to use paddle boats again. Plus the city will redo the fountain in the reservoir as well. Additionally it looks like they are currently building new baseball diamond and new outdoor stadium seating in the park as well. Im thinking they may try to host a few shows or concerts there in the future.

That would be excellent.. adding a outdoor theatre for concerts and paddle boats will certainly enhance the area... I agree.. putting a nice tree lined median that is wide enought to walk on from Pennsy Ave down to the North Ave Bridge would do wonders for that stretch ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 11:37 AM

68 posts, read 264,997 times
Quote:
I think it would help to maybe even merge bolton hill and reservoir hill which would be good for both neighborhoods. The city should even think about narrowing that stretch of north ave between mount royal and eutaw place.
The reason you sense, intuitively, that merging Bolton Hill and Reservoir Hill together is a good idea that would benefit both neighborhoods, despite some of their differences, is because the two neighborhoods were, at one time joined together as part of a larger neighborhood called "Mt. Royal"....and, indeed, things were better for both neighborhoods during this time.

And North Ave wasn't as wide, then, either.....it was widened at one point, taking out buildings, leaving a sense of demarcation, and the neighborhood has suffered for it. Imagine a North Avenue that has shops, townhouses, a cinema house, a neighborhood saloon, dry cleaner, etc etc.....all of this lining both sides of the street, instead of the poorly utilized no-man's land that is there now of gas stations, unused or underused shabby and graffittied-up old school buildings and daycare centers (on one side), and walled-off townhouse developments and educational facilities (on the other side)...before, both sides were unified and there wasn't much difference between one side and the other.

I've seen photos of this long-ago North Avenue, and you wouldn't even recognize it, there's been so damn much demolition. I don't know if things can ever be as they were, but it sure is fun to imagine it.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Plus the city has some upcoming developments for druid hill park as well. As part of federal law they have to secure water systems that are exposed to open air like the druid lake reservoir and ashburton amoung others. Well the city was going to cover the reservoir but many reservoir hill residents fought against the plan citing a drop in property values. Well the city is now proposing covering a small edge of the lake and taking the reservoir out of the public water supply system. They will keep the reservoir open and feed it with another lake within the park. There is a lake within the park that used to be open to the public located near the zoo area. This other lake used to have paddle boats and lots of other recreational activities for the community. They are proposing to reopen this lake and possibly even allow people to use paddle boats again. Plus the city will redo the fountain in the reservoir as well. Additionally it looks like they are currently building new baseball diamond and new outdoor stadium seating in the park as well. Im thinking they may try to host a few shows or concerts there in the future.
I thought the plan was to bury water tanks up in the park, and take the reservoir off the water supply....don't remember anything about covering part of the lake? Is that now a part of the plan, somehow? If it's being taken out of the water supply, why would they cover part of it?

Can't wait for the fountain to be fixed again, finally...but what I'm REALLY waiting for is the restoration of the Madison archway -- the old entrance to Druid Hill Park. When the heck is that happening?!

Old 05-28-2013, 11:51 AM

226 posts, read 361,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginbelt View Post
I thought the plan was to bury water tanks up in the park, and take the reservoir off the water supply....don't remember anything about covering part of the lake? Is that now a part of the plan, somehow? If it's being taken out of the water supply, why would they cover part of it?

Can't wait for the fountain to be fixed again, finally...but what I'm REALLY waiting for is the restoration of the Madison archway -- the old entrance to Druid Hill Park. When the heck is that happening?!
The city will bury the water tanks but they will use a small part of the lake, i believe near the north western edge which they deem as a "deadzone." The city will take the reservoir off of the water supply and i believe they mentioned a new water supply for the reservoir would come by connecting it to an underground stream that runs from the old boat lake near the zoo

Also in response to connecting bolton and reservoir hill by narrowing north ave, I have read thats how it was long ago but i would love to see pictures of it. Do you have any you could post for everyone to see?

Old 05-28-2013, 11:53 AM

226 posts, read 361,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
That would be excellent.. adding a outdoor theatre for concerts and paddle boats will certainly enhance the area... I agree.. putting a nice tree lined median that is wide enought to walk on from Pennsy Ave down to the North Ave Bridge would do wonders for that stretch ...

Yeah I agree a tree lined median strip would be a great idea for the area.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:34 AM

757 posts, read 2,544,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginbelt View Post
Can't wait for the fountain to be fixed again, finally...
Last I heard is that the fountain won't be fixed because it's uncertain if that section of lake will exist after the lake is taken off the water supply and tanks are buried.

But I did enjoy driving by lake at night during the few years when the fountain was working in the past decade. It was a nice sight and made me question why some of the properties along the water were so dilapidated.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy_d View Post
Last I heard is that the fountain won't be fixed because it's uncertain if that section of lake will exist after the lake is taken off the water supply and tanks are buried.
???!?!?????!???!??!

??

SERIOUSLY? I haven't heard this....are you a resident here, too? Is this the latest information....can anyone else here (Res Hill friends/fellow residents) weigh in?? Remstone...?

If this is true, it's really discouraging, bad news....in a week with a lot of discouraging, bad news going on here. Not just for the loss of the fountain, and all it represents for the neighborhood, but because it's essentially the city admitting that we're going to be definitely losing a portion of the lake. And, you know if anything, the city is understating, not overstating, the amount of lake we'll actually be losing....it could potentially be a LOT of water lost. How could they not have known this, back when we got the promises of the "redone fountain."

Last edited by ginbelt; 06-24-2013 at 10:50 PM..

Old 06-24-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Not sure why u would wanna bash the home owner's association but ok
Quote:
Originally Posted by remstone View Post
Not even bashing - it categorically is not composed as and does not act like a homeowners association. It can do good and bad things here. But if you're assuming it will act one way when you're not looking, there's a good reason to believe it may act another way.
Bmoregrimey used the term "home owner's association" when the term I think he actually meant was "neighborhood association".....but, given I'm almost certain he's speaking of the so-called Reservoir Hill Improvement Council (RHIC), I'll go even further than remstone and state that it isn't even THAT....it categorically is not a true neighborhood association. What it is, is a social work organization in neighborhood association clothing. It pretends to be a neighborhood association, but true neighborhood associations concern themselves with crime, and alerting residents about important things like development issues in the neighborhood, and oh, I don't know, times when you aren't going to be allowed to PARK your CAR for 24 hours where you usually do, because the President is going to be coming up your street, etc etc.....that's what most neighborhood associations I'm aware of do....they do not typically concern themselves with the (extremely) peripheral issues that the RHIC seems to focus on. You see....there is no GRANT MONEY for them to suck up for crime-fighting or alerting residents. There is, however, apparently THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS of grant money there for the taking for "greening efforts" and "doing stuff in the poorly performing local elementary school", and generally advocating for the poor. If only there were grant dollars available for pitting neighbor against neighbor with misdirected class warfare BS....they'd be gold medalist Olympic Champions of that grant category....

And, anyway, it's not even as if Reservoir Hill doesn't already HAVE a functioning, neighborhood-wide social work organization; it does -- St. Francis Neighborhood Center. St. Francis has been there longer and, I suspect, does more with less....if I were them, I'd resent RHIC for stepping on their toes.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:32 AM

206 posts, read 470,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy_d View Post
That's the opposite of what I'd heard, but I didn't get any late update. The fountain was actually the first thing the city led with as a benefit when they were still talking about a treatment plant, as if any promise of a working fountain would just make us so excited we'd agree to screw the neighborhood forever. And the fountain is definitely nowhere near enough the northwest corner that it would disappear based on the tank plan. I still wonder about issues with sufficient water flow from the upstream springs or whatever else they'd use to fill the new "lake" but there's no word about depth yet. The cost of the fountain is a small fraction of the water works plan so it's not like it needs to get cut out of the budget.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:08 AM

158 posts, read 215,329 times
Baltimore is run by retards at best. Baltimore should do whatever it can to lure big business and upscale housing. Sell and give tax breaks. It will probaly take a neo-conservative and progressive Guilliani type to come in and clean house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore