Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 02:00 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,417,247 times

Advertisements

Personally, I like the street vendors and carts!!! Most of these people can't afford the astronomical rental properties, so they become street vendors. Just like vendors in NYC, Philly and other places where everyday people are trying to do for themselves. It could be a bit more structured and organized, and cleaned up. But it gives Lexington Market a more of a cultural feel. On and around Park Ave., I'm starting to see more Ethiopian, Jamaican and Vietnamese restaurants along that corridor. Now, those junkies in front of market, they definitely need to go!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Its seems like they are gearing up for the potential gentrification of the area.. What is going to be interesting is if some of the smaller "mom and pop" and many of the other cart vendors get displaced. If they do.. they will likely end up on Eutaw Street along with the others.. Some people like that cluttered and busy urban environment with street vendors.. others not so much.....I guess we shall see.. The clinics are being moved over into Washington Village and Hollins Market to the dismay of the folks that have worked so hard to revive those areas....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 02:03 PM

Default Interesting..

Being afraid is right, but you can't blame people for being this way because some of these individuals are f*&^%d up literally, high off of coke, dope, pills, methadone and alcohol. You have to move with caution with that market even though the police are there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Good news. Never had a problem going to the market myself. People just need to stop being afraid of minorities.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:06 PM

I just know so many good small, clean "mom and pop" stores in Lexington Market that loved patronizing when I worked at a bank downtown. But, as most business in Baltimore, they seem to don't last very long.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:06 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
The market is perfectly fine in the morning and around lunch time. Later on in the day, it gets a bit rougher. But, I go there quite a bit for lunch, and fish from Faidleys. I love frog legs and so far, they're the only place that has them for sale.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:32 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamPilot View Post
I've been to Cross Street Market several times and I love it there. Haven't had the chance to check out Lexington yet but I've meaning to for some time
IMO the best crabcake in the country is in Lexington Market, at Faidley's. I hope it hasn't changed since I was last there several years ago. IIRC there's a light rail stop a block away, on Howard St.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:35 AM

759 posts, read 1,356,024 times
Though I enjoy the occasional trip to Lexington Market for variety and people watching, my personal favorite of the still-open city markets has long been the Northeast Market at Monument and Chester. Still urban, still gritty, but still an actual working city market where local folks actually go to eat and shop for quality produce, meat, and seafood at reasonable prices. Interesting array of food stalls-Home BBQ and Fish has the best Laketrout in Baltimore IM(not so)HO. Broadway Mkt. has become little more than a place for trendy coffeehouses and carryout, Cross St is just too yuppified (except for my friend Henry, B'more's best old-school butcher at Fenwick's Choice Meats), The Avenue Mkt. has virtually nothing to offer anyone, and Hollins Mkt is just plain scary.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:21 AM

Default Lol

Some of that hometown flavor is antiquated, counter-productive and extremely ignorant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoregrimey View Post
good move for the city, hopefully they dont get rid of all of the hometown flavor in an effort to attract the tourist

Old 04-07-2013, 09:23 AM

Default No

I can make better crabecakes than Faidley's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
IMO the best crabcake in the country is in Lexington Market, at Faidley's. I hope it hasn't changed since I was last there several years ago. IIRC there's a light rail stop a block away, on Howard St.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:16 AM

226 posts, read 363,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Some of that hometown flavor is antiquated, counter-productive and extremely ignorant.

Notice i said dont get rid of ALL of the hometown flavor, besides most vendors at the market are very decent. Mostly i just go to people watch but i always see people i havent seen in a while when i go to lexington market. The loitering outside needs to be addressed but then everyone standing outside is not someone looking to committ crime either. But i understand that the authorities will not be able to differentiate.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:26 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Its ironic that Baltimore has not developed a true intermodal transit center.. We know it wont happen around Penn Station for a variety of reasons and now with the plans to build the Elijah Cummings Greyhound Station... thus eliminating interstate bus service from the equation... But Lexington Market seems like a good place.. When I say intermodal at this location.. atleast it would include Commuter Buses, Metro Subway, and most of the MTA City Buses that are spread out throughout downtown now on numerous corners. If all of this activity is concerntrated.. atleast the MTA Police and BPD can get a better handle on protecting the legit riders from those bent on using bus shelters as places to sell drugs, loiter or rob people. The surface lot between Eutaw and Paca Street next to the Market seems like a logical place to start given its proximity to the Metro Subway, Light Rail and Fayette Street. It could also be the central area for tour buses thus giving visitors a starting point.

By indudating the area with commuters, tourists, and other shoppers along with common sense community policing.. you will push most of the illicit activities out of the area (and unfortunately into other areas) but atleast you can reclaim the market and some of the business district that surrounds it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore