U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 12:02 PM

222 posts, read 161,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
Having been on public assistance when I was a child and now as a member of the upper-middle class, I find your post both disgusting and ignorant of any true understanding of people's circumstances. I gladly pay into a safety net that once prevented my family and me from starving while we were down.
Agreed. My dad took unemployment for over a year during the recession while looking for a job. I'm glad we didn't lose my childhood home during that time.

The idea that someone would seriously just sit down and "enjoy" a few hundred bucks a month (and the kind of housing section 8 usually affords) is just crazy. Most people want to work and be successful. Some can't because they've been screwed up (abused, addicted, sick, whatever). A very few might really be "just lazy"... and you know what? That's ok. I'd rather a few people get a "free ride" (of a certain quality) and we take care of everyone, than we start deciding who's "good enough" or not for public assistance. Some people get so bent out of shape that someone, somewhere, is getting away with a welfare check, it's ridiculous. Why don't you turn that outrage towards the bankers that tanked our economy? Or the "school reform" charter school grifters out to make a buck on the public school system... that's REAL thieving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 12:12 PM

805 posts, read 1,226,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmiesix View Post
bankers that tanked our economy
I don't think bankers are right with what they did but citizens took the mortgages willingly or even eagerly. A lot of people are to blame for tanking our economy and it's us!

Old 05-29-2013, 12:24 PM

72 posts, read 40,253 times
I have one for you, I have rented two of my homes to Section 8 renters in Cali.

1. Single Mom: 3 Kids to different fathers all under 10: Income 24K a year: She received 1400 in Section 8, 290 Food Stamps, and go knows what else from Obama (phone, xbox for internet, etc). She defaulted 6 months in because she couldnt come up with 300 more a month for rent/utilities.

2. Single Mom: 2 Kids and 2 kids not hers. Fathers incarcerated, on bail, and parole. Income 28K. She received 1200 Section 8. Food stamps 400. She defaulted 3 months in.

California is a joke. Maryland is not so generous.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:52 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,012,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upinflamezzz View Post
I know I work and own my house and do all the things people are expected to do, but I wanna start being lazy and freeload off my government (fellow tax payers). I just need to find a lucky woman to start having my babies and she needs to agree to ALWAYS be pregnant. The more babies we have the more money we can get. The way I figure it, if I get a Section 8 voucher and food stamps and a welfare check, I can stay home with my kids and watch TPIR everyday. I can also find an under the table job to get myself a nice ride. I'll be all set.

BTW, I'll have no encouragement to ever get a better job because all my free stuff would go away.
Section 8 has a waiting list a mile long. Good luck landing it.

In the meantime, enjoy living in government housing. I'm sure you'll find those places relaxing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianExec View Post

1. Single Mom: 3 Kids to different fathers all under 10: Income 24K a year: She received 1400 in Section 8, 290 Food Stamps, and go knows what else from Obama (phone, xbox for internet, etc). She defaulted 6 months in because she couldnt come up with 300 more a month for rent/utilities.

2. Single Mom: 2 Kids and 2 kids not hers. Fathers incarcerated, on bail, and parole. Income 28K. She received 1200 Section 8. Food stamps 400. She defaulted 3 months in.

Unfortunately, Section 8 does not come with classes that teach poor people how to manage money or how to behave in a neighborhood of homeowners. It is indeed a problem, there needs to be a way to screen for people who really are ready for the opportunity.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:15 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,175,123 times
The problem in both cases is what do we do with the kids? It's one thing to cut an adult off but unless we're going back to orphanages or large scale group homes there isn't crap we can do about this.

Also, you stated an income so they do work but their wages are just too low. I'm sure the mom with the jailbird dad gets nothing from him and she should be getting something for taking care of the extra kids she has but maybe she doesn't?

The other mother should be getting something from each of the fathers for the kids but I bet she isn't either.

Quote:

Last edited by Jasper03; 05-29-2013 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: I realized that foster mom/jailbird dad are the same person.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:

OH NOES NOT AN OBAMA PHONE!!!!ELEVEN!

Old 05-30-2013, 06:38 PM

31 posts, read 25,766 times
I could never understand why the working class are so vile against those on welfare. I mean, be honest, would you want to live in a crappy neighborhood with crappy schools and have to depend on whatever cash assistance and food stamps allotted for you and your family? Like someone posted above, some really do need the assistance, some are disabled, some lack the resources to gain employment or are poorly educated. Yes, there are some who are lazy, I know a couple of them. But to unfairly target all of the above in the same group, is uncalled for.

Personally, I could not or would not want to be on welfare, pushing kids out every year and get that measly amount of money, but I will not turn my nose up at others. we don't know their life story.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafGirl View Post
I could never understand why the working class are so vile against those on welfare.
Because they are trying to make it by working and supporting people on welfare by paying taxes that could also work like them

Everyone should care about the system and want it to work to help make society better, not just keep the poor fed and housed.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboltonman View Post
Because they are trying to make it by working and supporting people on welfare by paying taxes that could also work like them

Everyone should care about the system and want it to work to help make society better, not just keep the poor fed and housed.
I agree that there are many reasons to support a social state, not least of which is for the people that don't fall through the cracks because of it. But in my most selfish moments, I support it also because it means I'm more likely to walk down a city street without being knifed or shot for $10, because someone is THAT desperate. I don't want to live in a gated community like in Mexico.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:34 AM

Walk around some areas with section 8 and welfare
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore