Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 10:12 AM

581 posts, read 2,307,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Every time I leave Roland Park, I thank my lucky stars that I got out alive!!!!!!!

Careful, LRG will tell you that you don't have your facts straight..

(As if she used any facts at all when proclaiming "Bmore is no more
dangerous than any other city")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 10:11 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborEastGuy View Post

Have you even been to Roland Park? My comment was pure sarcasm. The emoticon should have clued you in.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:38 PM
LRG

74 posts, read 111,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborEastGuy View Post

Then you better get out while you can! After all, the data you quoted from four years ago surely means your life is in imminent danger. They stoned a man in front of Epoch Pratt Library, you know. Never know when the next gunfight in Fells Point will take place.

And yes, I'll say it again: Baltimore is no more dangerous than any other city. So will you now stop derailing this thread with your sky-is-falling complaints, HarborEastGuy?

Old 06-15-2013, 10:40 PM
LRG

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Every time I leave Roland Park, I thank my lucky stars that I got out alive!!!!!!!

Run for cover, helenejen! Maybe you can find a safe outpost in White Marsh until the Taliban leave!

Old 06-16-2013, 07:28 AM

581 posts, read 2,307,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRG View Post
Then you better get out while you can! After all, the data you quoted from four years ago surely means your life is in imminent danger. They stoned a man in front of Epoch Pratt Library, you know. Never know when the next gunfight in Fells Point will take place.

And yes, I'll say it again: Baltimore is no more dangerous than any other city. So will you now stop derailing this thread with your sky-is-falling complaints, HarborEastGuy?

Your comments are ridiculous. Claiming that "Baltimore is no more dangerous than any other city" is just plain stupid. Your argument holds zero credibility based on Bmore's high murder rate. You should get
your facts straight instead of posting petty replies. When you waste time arguing your opinion which is
clearly disproved by the published facts, then you are in fact the person whom is derailing.

The ski is not falling, but Bmore is not as safe as MOST American cities so people need to be aware and
stay out of the trouble areas. Bmore has a lot to offer but safety is not high on the list.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:39 PM
LRG

*yawn*

Old 06-18-2013, 09:10 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,487,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasReeves View Post
My wife and I recently moved to Baltimore. Our apartment is located in Roland Park, inside a mansion that the landlord has converted into a 3 apartments. The landlords occupy 1 unit, while my wife and me, plus 1 more tenant occupy the other 2.

Unfortunately, not even a week in - I feel like my wife and I can't stay here any longer. The reasoning stems from a small confrontation that we had with him last week. In my view, his reaction showcased behavior that I found to be really unacceptable.

Our landlord confronted my wife and I on (only) our 4th day about the front door to the building being accidentally left unlocked. Certainly, it was not intentional. I took responsibility for my actions. I kindly asked the Landlord to show me how to lock the door properly (it's a slightly confusing door, the proper key doesn't lock it directly - a button must be pressed inside the door hinge). Instead of contributing to a constructive outcome, he very sarcastically and patronizingly said "Well, you're an educated man!" and reluctantly showed us how to lock his door. Mind you, the whole time, as he is be-laboring this point we are in standing in the soaking rain, carrying 4 bags of groceries. My arms are tired, and I'm dropping things out of our bags (my wife scrambling to pick them up), while trying to be as polite as possible. Listening to him give us a history lesson and lecture on what "they" do all day long in looking for theft opportunities. I thought he was going on and on about this, just to make us stand in the rain and get drenched. It was that awkward.

This whole episode left a very funny and bad feeling with the both of us. We both are somewhat fearful of how he would react / treat us in the future. We both think it's in our best interest to end the lease at this point.

Our lease agreement is month-to-month. However, we must (according to the lease) give 60 days notice before we intend to move out, and it must be done on the 1st of the month. Otherwise, we must wait until the FOLLOWING 1st of the NEXT Month to submit 60 days. So if we put in request to vacate July 1st, we are on the hook for July and August.

I would appreciate any help any of you could provide in terms of assistance in recommending a realtor who can help me and my wife locate a good rental. Or, even (if it applies) a recommendation on a lawyer or someone who could perhaps help us exit the contract sooner. It's an uncomfortable situation, and I'd like to not have to tolerate it any longer than necessary. We feel like we can do better, and all we ask is mutual respect.
Our house will be ready end of summer. We are planning on renting.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:59 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,098,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasReeves View Post
My wife and I recently moved to Baltimore. Our apartment is located in Roland Park, inside a mansion that the landlord has converted into a 3 apartments. The landlords occupy 1 unit, while my wife and me, plus 1 more tenant occupy the other 2.
Never live in an area where you are literally adjacent to the landlord. It is the start of most horror stories. To top that off, you're in Baltimore. I send you my deepest condolences. You remember "A series of unfortunate events", this could be "A series of unfortunate decisions".

Don't ever move into that situation. Ever. The landlord that really wants that situation will generally be a control freak and will be determined to find precisely the right renters and will make your life hell until you either leave or become those renters. If he has any experience, he'll structure it so he can hit you with huge fees for leaving once he makes the situation unlivable. That just makes the property even more profitable because he can go looking for the next person to dupe.

PS. Being required to give 60 days on a lease that is "month to month" sounds like it is categorically impossible. Contact a renter's rights group in your area and ask about the laws. I'm not familiar with any places where it is legal. There are some ways that landlords attempt to get around the laws, but I don't know how they could circumvent that one.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:16 AM

850 posts, read 1,131,618 times
I've been a landlord 4 years now, and have property in Baltimore County.

Although I don't live in the house I'm renting from, I would have some understanding if my tenants left the door unlocked. There is the issue here that you are threatning his safety as well as yours. As a result I would probably have been angry as well if you did such a thing. Although I wouldn't have "schooled" you on it, I would have sent a email indicating this and that it's violation of the lease agreement (regarding safety).

In addition M2M leases are M2M, I don't believe you need to give 60 days, you can simply give a 30 day notice (right before the next month).

Read the bullets on the bottom.

Termination and Modification of Tenancy | The Maryland People's Law Library
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore