U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 11:52 AM

5,292 posts, read 5,567,753 times

Advertisements

They tell me that the city is too small, lacks culture, sophistication and vision. They say Baltimore is not a good city that doesn't encourage their natives to build, create and sustain businesses, social and cultural outlets, they'd rather wipe the asses of out-of-towners who just use Baltimore as a professional stepping stool. They say the city is boring as watching damp carpet dry outside in the dead of winter. Interesting...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 06:11 AM

3,395 posts, read 3,150,334 times
If you are young and a native of Baltimore, isn't it natural to want to experience some other cities, cultures, geography? I know this town has a huge population that has never lived anywhere else but I hope young people would experience other places before settling here professionally. There IS a world outside of Mobtown.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:58 PM

344 posts, read 721,271 times
all of this is true

Old 06-18-2013, 07:37 AM
LRG

74 posts, read 91,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
They tell me that the city is too small, lacks culture, sophistication and vision. They say Baltimore is not a good city that doesn't encourage their natives to build, create and sustain businesses, social and cultural outlets, they'd rather wipe the asses of out-of-towners who just use Baltimore as a professional stepping stool. They say the city is boring as watching damp carpet dry outside in the dead of winter. Interesting...
I take issue with black people being referred to as "natives." You aren't fooling anyone with your language choices, Infinite.

Based on posts here, I doubt you have had a conversation with anyone black in some time.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:02 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,112,198 times
Baltimore isn't a yuppie city, that and NYC and DC are close by. Yuppies tend to be nomads, ALWAYS moving with their job.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:15 AM

27 posts, read 37,028 times
Quote:
Old man you like a broken record, saying the same nonsense over and over again. "They tell", "They say", "They rather", "They say", f-k is the old man talking about? If you don't like the city, roll out. I don't like the high taxes in Maryland but I choose to live here. I can relocate if I wanted to. It's not hard. Every thread you crying about the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
Baltimore isn't a yuppie city, that and NYC and DC are close by. Yuppies tend to be nomads, ALWAYS moving with their job.
I beg to differ. Baltimore definitely has it's share of yuppies. I have no problem with that, most big cities in America have them.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:04 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,486,507 times
I think it is insane to say most Baltimore born professionals leave. Did you see any of the videos during the super bowl run, I don't think those were transients feeling the moment in Fells, Federal Hill, Canton and all over. Baltimore is much less transient than most cities and there are a lot of jobs here. We are continually ranked a top 5 city for college grads.

And this city is filled with young professionals right now, much of the South Peninsula and Southeast Baltimore which takes a a huge chunk of the city. As well as Mt. Vernon, Hampden, Charles Village and other growing areas.. tons of young professionals

Old 06-19-2013, 09:41 AM
LRG

74 posts, read 91,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch10 View Post
I think it is insane to say most Baltimore born professionals leave. Did you see any of the videos during the super bowl run, I don't think those were transients feeling the moment in Fells, Federal Hill, Canton and all over. Baltimore is much less transient than most cities and there are a lot of jobs here. We are continually ranked a top 5 city for college grads.

And this city is filled with young professionals right now, much of the South Peninsula and Southeast Baltimore which takes a a huge chunk of the city. As well as Mt. Vernon, Hampden, Charles Village and other growing areas.. tons of young professionals
This.

Statistically speaking, on average college students go to school about 50-100 miles away from home. Numbers are increasing for students to take advantage of out of state higher ed options but the carrot of solid financial aid from the school is the draw; most families are unwilling to pay the much higher freight just so their kid can go to school out of state. It's also not uncommon that if your city has got some good time options, students stick around post-college. Cost of living is low here and the national economy is still getting its sea legs. If I were a student I would rather ride it out here than move back into my parents' house. So again, not transient.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:04 PM

22 posts, read 59,662 times
Quote:
Who exactly are your friends who say this? What is their profile?

Old 06-20-2013, 04:51 AM

5,292 posts, read 5,567,753 times
Default negroes

LOL.. You don't even know me talking tough behind a tablet or gubment pre=pay phone. Baltimore is garbage!! Fix it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandL View Post
Old man you like a broken record, saying the same nonsense over and over again. "They tell", "They say", "They rather", "They say", f-k is the old man talking about? If you don't like the city, roll out. I don't like the high taxes in Maryland but I choose to live here. I can relocate if I wanted to. It's not hard. Every thread you crying about the same thing.

I beg to differ. Baltimore definitely has it's share of yuppies. I have no problem with that, most big cities in America have them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or