Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 02:06 PM

5 posts, read 9,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaryland455 View Post
WHAT???????????? how are you going to leave the REDSKINS for the RAVENS???????........ THE RAVENS SUCK......HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

Can you please refresh our memories... WHO WON THE SUPER BOWL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 02:49 PM

74 posts, read 122,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Slim, your numbers are way off. DC DOES NOT have more whites than blacks. Are you serious? The Southeast side of Benning Rd has not gentrified. I don't know what the future holds but you can still find a heavy AA influence along Georgia Ave. DC is changing for the better.

I was incorrect about more whites. What I meant to say was for the 1st time in 50 years, blacks are not the majority in the city:

Blacks lose majority in the District | WashingtonExaminer.com

For years, blacks were 70-75% of the population of this city. No longer true. And I lived by Benning road, many people in the area, including my roommates were not from DC. Even the African American families on our block were from Atlanta, Ohio, and NYC. Trust me, if there was a poll done in DC for how many people that live there are from there versus not from there.....the numbers would shock you. A couple of row homes in South East do not compare to numerous amounts of gigantic Condos full of transients.

Old 06-20-2013, 02:51 PM

7,004 posts, read 11,298,847 times
Quote:
WHAT???????????? how are you going to leave the REDSKINS for the RAVENS???????........ THE RAVENS SUCK......HAIL TO THE REDSKINS
Let me fix that for you:

The SUPERBOWL CHAMPION Ravens suck.

But seriously, I saw way too much of guys casually walking off the field when subbing out, laughing on the sidelines during losses, shuttin' it down for the season after 10 games, playing with zero intensity, always having to hear about how signing or trading for players like Bruce Smith, Adam Archaleta, Albert Haynesworth, Jason Taylor, or coaches like Spurrier, Schotenheimer, Gibbs version 2.0 were going to put them back in the mix. All the while trading away high draft picks like fools.

As a general rule, when your previous team won't pay out to keep you around, there is normally a reason for it. It took the Skins 20 years to figure the whole free agency vs the draft thing out. Ozzie has had it down since before the team moved to B-more.

I am glad things look like they are on the right track now, but it is too little too late. I found a team that suits me better.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:11 PM

855 posts, read 1,172,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRG View Post
Re: getting more people from DC/VA/MD to live in Baltimore. That would only work if the commuting options were robust and on time. I live in Montgomery County and commute up (for the time being) and I see the traffic backup on I-95 S at 7:30am. Most people in that area do work for the federal government or some affiliated agency and asking them to tack on a 90-min commute in the morning and probably two hours in the afternoon might be too much. I have a reverse commute so in the morning, assuming there are no accidents like there was today, I can be to my office in an hour. Coming home, an hour 20 but lately I've been making good time.

Housing prices or not, unless the jobs are here to make it viable for people to move here, I can't see anyone, especially anyone with a family and kids they'd like to see, moving here just because you can get more house for the money. The people who would be interested are being turned off by locals who talk about the city like it's the Old West. That's so not helping matters.
My husband and I moved here from the DC area after living there for nearly 10 years. *shrug*. We moved after visiting someone here (who also came from DC) and were impressed by the prices. The reason we moved is because A. we couldn't see ourselves taking the loan for a property in DC when we could spend half that here and B. (most of all) we didn't want to buy a cheaper, smaller house (thats likely outdated) farther out in someplace like Stafford, Prince William or Loudoun County to be stuck in suburbia. Nevermind the fact the commute to/from Loudoun or Stafford is just as long to/from DC at rush hour. For us and other ex-DC people we know here, we like the appeal of living in a city and having a new reasonably priced home and Baltimore does that for us.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:57 PM

226 posts, read 413,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
DC benefits from the federal government without it the city wouldn't be much better than Baltimore.
I'd always felt DC was at a disadvantage. Due to the suburban commuter nature of the region itself, it seems most of the better paying jobs in DC are held by people who spend the money elsewhere (NoVa, MD)

Old 06-20-2013, 10:00 PM

226 posts, read 413,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
The Redskins lost me fair and square. That is what happens when consumers are offered choices between a miserably run franchise with a 20 year streak of horrible management and losing versus a model franchise with a great run of not only winning, but an actual identity as a unit.

Who the heck were those Redskins teams? Mostly a bunch of over paid, past prime free agents that embraced the lazy locker room culture of apathy. Sean Taylor was the last Redskin I felt any sort of affinity for.

I always said that I would never leave the Skins, but it happened. I found myself watching more Ravens games, because it was better football, while still claiming to be a 'Skins fan. Eventually I stopped lying to myself and everyone else and just changed jerseys. I have no beef with the 'Skins moving forward, I had some fun watching RGIII play last year, and watching the Cowboys lose is always its own reward. Washington just isn't "my team" anymore.

I put too much into following the sport, and "my team" to stick with a franchise when I no longer enjoyed watching them play.
There's a lot of names to hold the blame for that. Zorn, Cerrato, but mostly Snyder.

This appears to be a new era though. Snyder is finally taking a back seat and Shanahan/Allen appear to have things in order. Could be worse. We could have had Jerry Jones.

As for the Ravens.. meh. They are a respectable team, just not my team. I didn't grow up with them. No problem with them. Even hope they win if its not against us. Don't follow them though. Of course, I have family from Ohio, so there was some bitterness for quite a while on how that went down.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:45 AM

490 posts, read 924,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Let me fix that for you:

The SUPERBOWL CHAMPION Ravens suck.

But seriously, I saw way too much of guys casually walking off the field when subbing out, laughing on the sidelines during losses, shuttin' it down for the season after 10 games, playing with zero intensity, always having to hear about how signing or trading for players like Bruce Smith, Adam Archaleta, Albert Haynesworth, Jason Taylor, or coaches like Spurrier, Schotenheimer, Gibbs version 2.0 were going to put them back in the mix. All the while trading away high draft picks like fools.

As a general rule, when your previous team won't pay out to keep you around, there is normally a reason for it. It took the Skins 20 years to figure the whole free agency vs the draft thing out. Ozzie has had it down since before the team moved to B-more.

I am glad things look like they are on the right track now, but it is too little too late. I found a team that suits me better.
I agree to a point, but remember we BEAT you in the regular season....so in my eyes RAVENS are not a threat.......The only reason we didn't go all the way is two reason......RG3 Injury and Mike Shanahan Pride (He should of put in Kurt cousins) but he didn't and that the only reason why your able to claim SUPERBOWL victory right now...................HTTR

Old 06-21-2013, 08:33 AM

7,004 posts, read 11,298,847 times
Quote:
I agree to a point, but remember we BEAT you in the regular season....so in my eyes RAVENS are not a threat.......The only reason we didn't go all the way is two reason......RG3 Injury and Mike Shanahan Pride (He should of put in Kurt cousins) but he didn't and that the only reason why your able to claim SUPERBOWL victory right now...................HTTR
Ravens fans generally don't gloat over REGULAR season wins (except when we beat the Steelers.) That is the Redskin fan in you coming out, regular season wins are still a novelty in the DMV.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:36 AM

45,344 posts, read 60,522,810 times
As for the Redskins, it's not the team I don't like it's the fans. I'm glad, though, that the Cleveland team currently based in Baltimore is successful.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:42 AM

74 posts, read 122,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
As for the Redskins, it's not the team I don't like it's the fans. I'm glad, though, that the Cleveland team currently based in Baltimore is successful.

What about the Boston Braves, the team currently based in Washington. Many franchises have moved around, you sound bitter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore