Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 09:16 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Interesting site. Hopkins rated #2 after Maryland in the country.

Best College Lacrosse Teams - Top Ten List - TheTopTens.com
You do realize that Hopkins did not make it to the tournament this year, for the first time in more than 40 years? And that they have decided to join the Big Ten, a weak conference for lacrosse, in order to get automatic invitations to future tournaments as Big Ten conference winner (presuming that they can unseat Ohio State).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 09:19 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,598,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
You do realize that Hopkins did not make it to the tournament this year, for the first time in more than 40 years? And that they have decided to join the Big Ten, a weak conference for lacrosse, in order to get automatic invitations to future tournaments as Big Ten conference winner (presuming that they can unseat Ohio State).

Well, to be honest, I don't base Hopkins future reputation on their lacrosse team. I don't think anyone connected with the university would so either. It would be nice if they won, but oh well. Regardless of this season's standings, I think they are considered a viable team. As they say, "Can't win them all!"

Most people around the country associate Hopkins with studying medicine; not lacrosse.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:45 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterc8294 View Post
I've been in Baltimore for the past two years and the one thing that I've noticed is how large employers tend to have a major say in how the City is ran. The biggest example of this has to be Johns Hopkins and its effect on Baltimore City specifically it's redevelopment of East Baltimore in areas surrounding its hospital. Many tend to see the redevelopment of these blighted areas as beneficial to the city, it's bringing in younger smarter and richer residents who will be able to live near where they work. Others see Hopkins as invading neighborhoods and tearing them down and pricing out residents.

How do you all feel about Hopkins in Baltimore? Do you see Hopkins as a major agent for gentrification in Baltimore City? Do you think that they could do more to engage the existing residents of the neighborhoods that they are redeveloping? Do you feel that gentrification will become more common in Baltimore City and what neighborhoods do you think will be the next to be gentrified?
Baltimore would be in even more dire straits if it wasn't for Hopkins. Frankly Hopkins isn't aggressive enough and gives too much credence to the poverty pimps. They need to buy up everything in a ten block or so radius around the main hospital and scatter the residents to the hinterlands.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by are you kidinme? View Post
I didn't think anyone else believed that in time Hopkins will say chuck it and leave. I agree, it's only a matter of time.
Hopkins is probably barred from Hopkins' will in leaving the city. Also health care in MD is controlled by the state to such a degree in MD that moving is a political impossibility. Still I know Hopkins is quietly thinking of relocating some services outside of the city. Surprisingly the impetus in moving is not necessarily the financial straits of the city but the makeup of juries here. That big case that went against them really stunned them since they truly believe they were not at fault. A woman decides to have an at home birth waits a long time getting help and the hospital is declared responsible.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Well, to be honest, I don't base Hopkins future reputation on their lacrosse team. I don't think anyone connected with the university would so either. It would be nice if they won, but oh well. Regardless of this season's standings, I think they are considered a viable team. As they say, "Can't win them all!"

Most people around the country associate Hopkins with studying medicine; not lacrosse.
I agree completely. Someone else brought up lacrosse as an indicator of undergraduate health and willingness to attend college in Baltimore City.

Hopkins's choice of the Big Ten was unfortunate, however, in that it indicated that the university might be placing undue value on winning. A number of people suggested that Hopkins join the Ivy League. This was rejected either by the Ivy League or by Hopkins. If Hopkins rejected the Ivy League, it could only have been because Ivy League membership would not guarantee a conference championship and an automatic trip to the tournament (Cornell and Princeton would be very tough contenders). On the other hand, we all know the cachet and benefit of being "Ivy League," not to mention that the in-conference games would be closer to home (with the exception of nearby Maryland, which has also joined the Big Ten). Thus it seems that the decision was made for the benefit of the athletic department and its boosters rather than for the general benefit of the undergraduate program. Just one geezer's opinion . . .

Old 06-24-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Still I know Hopkins is quietly thinking of relocating some services outside of the city.
Exactly -- there won't be a "moving day" when trucks pull up on Charles street and empty out the Homewood campus . . . things like this happen gradually.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Exactly -- there won't be a "moving day" when trucks pull up on Charles street and empty out the Homewood campus . . . things like this happen gradually.
The saving grace for Hopkins is its branding and international profile. Due to the changing nature of health care servicing the poor is becoming increasingly difficult. Hopkins is able to counter this by getting wealthy foreigners to come there and have their difficult health care needs taken care of. They can charge them amounts higher than the HSCRC allows. Still even here Hopkins is running into difficulties.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:09 AM
LRG

74 posts, read 112,031 times
Quote:
Yes -- it's still a very strong institution, but it's gradually sinking in the rankings, year by year, I'm sorry to say. Location is a significant problem, long term.
JH opened as a university in 1876; I doubt they're going anywhere anytime soon.

Yale is a great school but I wouldn't be caught dead in New Haven CT. I doubt it's location is playing a role in recruitment of students, staff or faculty either. As for rankings, last time I checked JH was ranked #13 in the country for national universities by US News and World Report. The rankings' top slots are filled with the Ivies (8) and then Stanford, UChicago and MIT so JH is right in the mix.

Schools that are in not-so-great locations have all sorts of ways to sweeten the pot for staff and faculty and students are only staying a couple of years and stick close to campus so they don't care about the location.

Last edited by LRG; 06-24-2013 at 10:20 AM..

Old 06-24-2013, 10:14 AM
LRG

74 posts, read 112,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Hopkins is probably barred from Hopkins' will in leaving the city. Also health care in MD is controlled by the state to such a degree in MD that moving is a political impossibility. Still I know Hopkins is quietly thinking of relocating some services outside of the city. Surprisingly the impetus in moving is not necessarily the financial straits of the city but the makeup of juries here. That big case that went against them really stunned them since they truly believe they were not at fault. A woman decides to have an at home birth waits a long time getting help and the hospital is declared responsible.
I feel confident saying the hospital nor any affiliate is going to uproot from the city because they lost a court case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore