Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 09:26 PM

5 posts, read 18,329 times

Advertisements

I've been in Baltimore for the past two years and the one thing that I've noticed is how large employers tend to have a major say in how the City is ran. The biggest example of this has to be Johns Hopkins and its effect on Baltimore City specifically it's redevelopment of East Baltimore in areas surrounding its hospital. Many tend to see the redevelopment of these blighted areas as beneficial to the city, it's bringing in younger smarter and richer residents who will be able to live near where they work. Others see Hopkins as invading neighborhoods and tearing them down and pricing out residents.

How do you all feel about Hopkins in Baltimore? Do you see Hopkins as a major agent for gentrification in Baltimore City? Do you think that they could do more to engage the existing residents of the neighborhoods that they are redeveloping? Do you feel that gentrification will become more common in Baltimore City and what neighborhoods do you think will be the next to be gentrified?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 11:30 PM

74 posts, read 121,502 times
I commend Hopkins for what they are doing. The residents should have NO SAY unless they are homeowners. Even that should be limited, and a very strong case needs to be made to prevent growth. Much of the development Hopkins has done has been at the expense of Public Housing, and they have more than taken care of the transfer costs of these individuals. They have also helped some become Homeowners. I never understood how these ignorant scum in these neighborhoods look at others as if 'they are invading their neighborhood.' Hey idiot, you don't OWN the neighborhood! You don't even own the house you live in! It's pathetic. The faster we destroy this culture and mentality, the better. People can move and live wherever they would like to, and it is the duty of our law officers to protect and ensure that they can. If the officers can't fully do it, we should have the right to protect ourselves. Most of the neighborhoods that are being gentrified had drug and violent criminal activity 80 times the norm for our society. Doesn't sound like an environment I would like to keep.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:22 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,265,899 times
I have thought for some time that Hopkins is making a really big mistake by tying its fortunes to Baltimore City. Many families with really smart kids won't even consider the undergraduate program at Hopkins because of its location. And at some point, if not already, the location is going to be a deterrent to recruiting top-notch faculty. Hopkins is such a strong institution that it can play this game for a while, but probably not forever, and maybe not even for much longer.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:25 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,885,656 times
It's a much better article to write about the handful of people upset as opposed to the 1000s who are benefitting.

Lets face it, neighborhoods like the former Middle East need to be destroyed for Baltimore and the individuals who live their to succeed.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:47 AM

775 posts, read 1,775,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
I have thought for some time that Hopkins is making a really big mistake by tying its fortunes to Baltimore City. Many families with really smart kids won't even consider the undergraduate program at Hopkins because of its location. And at some point, if not already, the location is going to be a deterrent to recruiting top-notch faculty. Hopkins is such a strong institution that it can play this game for a while, but probably not forever, and maybe not even for much longer.
I didn't think anyone else believed that in time Hopkins will say chuck it and leave. I agree, it's only a matter of time.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:05 AM

34,091 posts, read 82,438,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterc8294 View Post
I've been in Baltimore for the past two years and the one thing
that I've noticed is how large employers tend to have a major say in how the City is ran.
This is not a new phenomenon nor is it exclusve to B'more.

Quote:
How do you all feel about Hopkins in Baltimore?
The only bad part is that they seem to be the only major player to remain active.

Over the weekend I was looking for something and stumbled across this Md Archives
document LINK which recaps the Olson book exploration showing the same issues as today
being in the news 100 years ago.

Pour a cup of coffee and roam through it.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:06 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,885,656 times
Quote:
Right.... Because Hopkins is struggling to lure top students and talent... from all over the world. JHU is in a very solid area and much nicer area than some of the other top universities. I'm sure there are a few families in your circle that feel that way, but that's just not the case overall. I do a lot of work in the lacrosse world, when gets are offered a shot at Hopkins.... They dont often turn it down.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:28 AM

855 posts, read 1,167,909 times
I don't think Hopkins is going anywhere...

What Hopkins is doing is remarkable. I do think that Hopkins can't do it alone. The city should do everything in its power to give Hopkins free reign to improve the area.

I feel two ways about gentrification: 1. The people of those areas had EVERY OPPORTUNITY to not allow the areas to turn into crime ridden warzones and prevent Baltimore from turning into Beirut, but they didn't. So part of me doesn't feel sorry that developers are coming in and transforming these areas into productive and clean places to live.

2. It becomes unfortunate when responsible people who do want to own, are unable to afford homes in the newly revitalized areas.

But I always come back to the point that gentrification is a good thing. I don't understand when people bellyache about the neighborhoods turning around and becoming attractive to outsiders--a lot of times the people who complain don't own their homes. Residents who own their homes (and actually live there) usually have no issues with their neighborhoods improving.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:31 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,542,460 times
Quote:

Hopkins has never had an issue with recruiting. Thousands annually are not admitted due to no room. For anyone not considering attending because of location, there are 100 to take that person's place.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:33 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,542,460 times
Many opposed to gentrification are suburbanites that worry about increased crime to their neighborhoods, etc. Oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore