Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 10:01 AM

690 posts, read 964,113 times

Advertisements

I live in the NYC area (Northern NJ) and possibly interested in applying to Baltimore area police depts. Just trying to get an idea on housing prices, esp rent for 1 bd apts with laundry in unit and parking. How much would it be in a decent nhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 12:42 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stechkin View Post
I live in the NYC area (Northern NJ) and possibly interested in applying to Baltimore area police depts. Just trying to get an idea on housing prices, esp rent for 1 bd apts with laundry in unit and parking. How much would it be in a decent nhood?
Just as an example, I picked Towson, MD and went to the apartment rating site. It said the median price for a 1 bedroom was $1110. However, you might increase that a bit, as not every place has the laundry in the unit. My guess-timate is $1200/month for a good neighborhood and modern apartment. You can spend more for a luxury building and less for an older, low-rise place.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:31 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
I live in the NYC area (Northern NJ) ... trying to get an idea on housing prices,
esp rent ... How much would it be in a decent nhood?
A lot less than up in NY/NJ; but still not "cheap" by any means.

From the other direction... what can you afford?
Starting salary for City Police Officer Trainee is $41,058.00
x30% of gross allows for a *housing* budget of $12,300 per year

$12,300 /12months less $250 for utilities and such... = $775 for rent
You won't find very much that's very good in that range: LINK

Instead... Plan to share a 3BR with ONE person.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:50 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

Would he come in as a rookie officer? Sounds like he has experience. I don't think he has to share either way.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:

that wasnt my question, and im not gon share with anyone

Old 07-01-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Would he come in as a rookie officer? Sounds like he has experience. I don't think he has to share either way.
yea, i would be a rookie

Old 07-01-2013, 01:55 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Would he come in as a rookie officer?
He didn't say.
Quote:
I don't think he has to share either way.
I assume he has other good uses for his money aside from paying rent.
Maybe I'm wrong?

OP: fill in the blanks with your own numbers.
Do what you want/can to make it work.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:30 PM
LRG

74 posts, read 112,031 times
Quote:
I officially move to the Baltimore area this weekend. When I was searching for apartments in the city and in the county, I kept a spreadsheet of apartments and like you, I was looking for a one bedroom with a washer and dryer. I found places in the $1200 range not including utilities (except water) or parking. I was centered on the Mount Vernon neighborhood because I love architecture and was interested in Henderson House as a place to live. I settled on being out in the county, Owings Mills, and pay $1200 for an 800+-square-foot apartment with a gas fireplace, balcony, full-sized washer and dryer and with one parking space included. It's worth noting that my preference is apartment complexes versus places that are privately owned. It's a lot easier to find out if a place is a good place to live based on reviews and with private owners you might not get someone reputable.

My buddy lives in White Marsh, also in the county and he has a place a bit over 900-square-feet with a den that he was paying $1300 for.

If you want to discuss my search more which mirrors your own, feel free to email me privately. You will not have to share an apartment. I came here from a place that was more expensive than here making less money and I didn't have a roommate.

Good luck to you!

Old 07-01-2013, 02:35 PM
LRG

74 posts, read 112,031 times
Quote:

MrRational, this little workup of how much money YOU think someone makes is really out of line and completely disrespectful. This person came in asking for advice, not for your take on his or her income. I'm stunned at the poor manners directed at someone helping to make this community you to love to whine about safer.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRG View Post
I officially move to the Baltimore area this weekend. When I was searching for apartments in the city and in the county, I kept a spreadsheet of apartments and like you, I was looking for a one bedroom with a washer and dryer. I found places in the $1200 range not including utilities (except water) or parking. I was centered on the Mount Vernon neighborhood because I love architecture and was interested in Henderson House as a place to live. I settled on being out in the county, Owings Mills, and pay $1200 for an 800+-square-foot apartment with a gas fireplace, balcony, full-sized washer and dryer and with one parking space included. It's worth noting that my preference is apartment complexes versus places that are privately owned. It's a lot easier to find out if a place is a good place to live based on reviews and with private owners you might not get someone reputable.

My buddy lives in White Marsh, also in the county and he has a place a bit over 900-square-feet with a den that he was paying $1300 for.

If you want to discuss my search more, feel free to email me privately.

Good luck to you!
good to kno
and yea, complexes are better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore