Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 03:35 PM

775 posts, read 1,783,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutupjamie View Post
We went back to look at the neighborhood saturday night, and it was really not bad at all. People out doing yard work, kids riding bikes, people walking their dogs. Unfortunately the house we wanted sold on friday, so I'm really bummed.

We're a young couple in our 20s, no plans for kids anytime soon, and we don't exactly make bank. We don't care about great schools and beautifully groomed neighborhoods with nice, big houses. I'm just looking for a place where I don't have to look over my shoulder whenever I walk down the street alone. You made it sound like that's an impossible request.
I think most people living in Baltimore look over their shoulders when they're walking the streets. I know I do. More than half of the people I know have either been robbed, had their purse snatched, assaulted, or suffered a theft. Including my own daughter in Patterson Park on a Saturday afternoon in the summer. When my wife works late she stops at the house to pick up our dog to take with her while she's walking home from whatever nether region she's had to park. I'm trying to hit you with the facts, not some long ago lost sense of security that some other posters still long for. You will ultimately do what you want to, but don't say no one told you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 06:27 AM

9 posts, read 28,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by are you kidinme? View Post
I think most people living in Baltimore look over their shoulders when they're walking the streets. I know I do. More than half of the people I know have either been robbed, had their purse snatched, assaulted, or suffered a theft. Including my own daughter in Patterson Park on a Saturday afternoon in the summer. When my wife works late she stops at the house to pick up our dog to take with her while she's walking home from whatever nether region she's had to park. I'm trying to hit you with the facts, not some long ago lost sense of security that some other posters still long for. You will ultimately do what you want to, but don't say no one told you.
Well I do appreciate you not trying to sugar coat things. Just the way you said it made it sound like anything that isn't an upscale neighborhood is straight ghetto. I know there is crime everywhere, but I also know that some places aren't as bad as others.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:29 AM

775 posts, read 1,783,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutupjamie View Post
Well I do appreciate you not trying to sugar coat things. Just the way you said it made it sound like anything that isn't an upscale neighborhood is straight ghetto. I know there is crime everywhere, but I also know that some places aren't as bad as others.
No, I didn't mean to say everyone has to live in an upscale area. I wouldn't classify my neighborhood as upscale. I'm just saying Baltimore has a notorious crime problem and the police are ineffective in preventing it. They seem to respond after the fact just fine. So, be careful and if you decide Baltimore City is the place for you then expect to have "run ins" with the bad guys on occasion.

I have plenty of detractors here who engage in personal attacks and suggest that anyone who points out Baltimore's flaws should shut-up and leave the city. I'm afraid that's how this place got the way it is. Anyone who took their head out of the sand took off. Good luck to you and stay low.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by are you kidinme? View Post
No, I didn't mean to say everyone has to live in an upscale area. I wouldn't classify my neighborhood as upscale. I'm just saying Baltimore has a notorious crime problem and the police are ineffective in preventing it. They seem to respond after the fact just fine. So, be careful and if you decide Baltimore City is the place for you then expect to have "run ins" with the bad guys on occasion.

I have plenty of detractors here who engage in personal attacks and suggest that anyone who points out Baltimore's flaws should shut-up and leave the city. I'm afraid that's how this place got the way it is. Anyone who took their head out of the sand took off. Good luck to you and stay low.
Yeah, we're hoping to find a place outside of the city, in a decent neighborhood in Baltimore County. I know Baltimore doesn't have the best reputation, but from what I gather most people who live there love it! I'm hoping this will be the case. And thanks for the advice

Old 07-09-2013, 01:14 PM

759 posts, read 1,355,892 times
Don't kid yourself about Baltimore. This is a tough little burg. I've been a victim on several occasions, and am not involved in drugs, gangs, or a criminal lifestyle, and know enough about inner-city living to avoid becoming a target-but crime happens here anyway.

areyoukiddin'me wrote:
I'm just saying Baltimore has a notorious crime problem and the police are ineffective in preventing it. They seem to respond after the fact just fine.

Happy that's been your experience. The last time our cars were stolen from in front of the house, the cops didn't even come out to fill out a report. We had to go to Northeastern District and pick one up-and all we got was a case number for the insurance company, no kind of incident/police report. "Wholly ineffectual" is how I would describe policing in Baltimore.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:24 AM

158 posts, read 216,473 times
If you dont feel safe walking your dog in the neighborhood your considering buying...whats the point?

If you dont have kdis, why not consider a rowhouse in the one of neighborhoods that is being gentrified near Camden yards?

Old 07-10-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianExec View Post
If you dont feel safe walking your dog in the neighborhood your considering buying...whats the point?

If you dont have kdis, why not consider a rowhouse in the one of neighborhoods that is being gentrified near Camden yards?

That is why I posted the question. I loved the house but had not seen much of the area. All I knew was people telling me how awful it was so I was wondering if I was missing something. I wouldn't buy it if I didn't feel safe there. After seeing more of the neighborhood, I think I would have felt safe, but the house sold so we're back to square one.

We would also prefer not to live in the actual city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore