Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 06:30 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,953 times

Advertisements

I am looking for good hair salons that can perm virgin hair, braid and do weaves. On average, how much is a wash and set?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 04:44 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,990,470 times
Prices vary and there are different kinds of salons/shops. If you want to have your hair braided, there are braid shops everywhere. Same with weave shops. There are a few natural stylists that are great in Charles Village you should check out before deciding to relax your hair. Also, look into Dominican shops that are all over the city. The blow dryers they use are so hot that they literally straighten your hair so it looks and feels relaxed.

My stylist charges about $70 for a basic wash, set and style. She's more expensive than the typical salon, but her skills make it worth it.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:00 AM

I appreciate the response. All salons are not created equal. I have had some bad experiences in the past. I am really looking for someone who knows how to perm virgin black hair.Thanks.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:32 AM

537 posts, read 768,672 times
Try The Hair Connoisseur in Columbia. It is across the street from Lord & Taylor in the mall ring-ish road.

I have unrelaxed hair, and I went there for a blowout. Easily one of the best places for a blowout I've found in my life, right here in the Baltimore area.

They also relax hair, I believe Mizani is the brand.

No super long waits, either. My hair is mid back length and (as you likely know) highly textured/kinky-curly, and they still got it done in 3 hours (a record for me: that's wash, condition, steam treatment, blow out, and a badly needed trim). The woman who did my hair has really long locs, and she also works at the Aveda in the Mall across the street. Sorry, sounds horrible, but cannot remember her name.

Although all of the staff appear to be black, and many of their clients are black, it's clientele are pretty diverse. When I was there last, a middle aged white guy was having Tamara cut his hair (this across from me, mid-blowout, looking like I'm in the latest episode of Fro's Gone Wild).

Old 07-02-2013, 10:22 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,418,263 times
Stop making Koreans rich with all that fake hair stuff! Stop supporting child labor exploitation!

Old 07-02-2013, 10:49 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,990,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Stop making Koreans rich with all that fake hair stuff! Stop supporting child labor exploitation!
What are you ranting about? She said she's getting her hair relaxed.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:35 PM
LRG

74 posts, read 111,929 times
Ignore him. He does that in all the threads. Uncle Ruckus and all.

I'm looking for a black hair salon too but in Owings Mills. If anyone could recommend one, that would be great. I get the standard relaxer done, sometimes I get a color professionally done and sometimes I go nuts and cut it all low and let it grow back in. Nothing exciting over here

Old 07-02-2013, 01:20 PM

Well, take that I'm a son, grandson of a long line of Black women hair stylist and aestheticians, my qualifications almost surpasses any diatribe you can provide concerning The Black Hair Care Industry. Both of my grandmothers owned and operated beauty salons in West Baltimore for over 30 years. One of my ex-girlfriend is a propertier of a well-known hair and spa salon in Philly. I've been around the beauty shops, hair show conventions, trade platforms, and etc. The Black Hair Industry is controlled by Koreans and have locked out most Black suppliers and distributors. I have no problem with this, it's just the nature of capitalism.

But, what I have a problem with is _____________ ?

Old 07-02-2013, 02:07 PM

Naw.. I'm more like Huey!! Because Huey would talk try and convince you to go natural and keep the money to yourself.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanhvtnymd View Post
Try The Hair Connoisseur in Columbia. It is across the street from Lord & Taylor in the mall ring-ish road.

I have unrelaxed hair, and I went there for a blowout. Easily one of the best places for a blowout I've found in my life, right here in the Baltimore area.

They also relax hair, I believe Mizani is the brand.

No super long waits, either. My hair is mid back length and (as you likely know) highly textured/kinky-curly, and they still got it done in 3 hours (a record for me: that's wash, condition, steam treatment, blow out, and a badly needed trim). The woman who did my hair has really long locs, and she also works at the Aveda in the Mall across the street. Sorry, sounds horrible, but cannot remember her name.

Although all of the staff appear to be black, and many of their clients are black, it's clientele are pretty diverse. When I was there last, a middle aged white guy was having Tamara cut his hair (this across from me, mid-blowout, looking like I'm in the latest episode of Fro's Gone Wild).
How long does the blow out last?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore