Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 07:22 PM

62 posts, read 103,801 times

Advertisements

I am in Arcadia near Herring Run Park and it is pin quiet, beautiful, and full of great people. The restaurants and shops in the Hamilton/Lauraville section of Harford Rd are awesome. I love my 'hood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 05:40 AM

866 posts, read 2,627,241 times
Mount Washington would be a great choice.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:24 AM

775 posts, read 1,783,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL_in_DWG View Post
I see lots and lots of people who work at Hopkins walking to work every morning. They walk from Upper Fells, Butchers Hill, & Patterson Park (& even farther probably). They are all nice, safe, & quiet neighborhoods. They're also convenient to both Hopkins campuses.
Yeah, ask the two Hopkins folks robbed at gunpoint walking from the JHHC a couple of weeks ago what they think about it.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Let's be realistic here. Quiet? It is a major city and quiet is not quite how I would call it. A former post incorrectly gave you the wrong information. The main campus of Hopkins is along Charles Street-certainly not the hood. There are plenty of neighborhoods north of it that are as quiet as a city can be. Look at Oakenshaw or Tuscany-Canterbury---not sure on the exact spelling. Charles Village is a nice area also which is surrounding the main campus. Parts of Hampden near the park would be quieter. The Bayview campus is also not in the "hood". It is along Eastern Avenue in the southeast quarter which is a working class neighborhood with a large Greek and Latino population although not solely that. Plenty of Hopkins employees live in Butchers Hill, Patterson Park, Upper Fells Point, and Canton all within walking distance of the large medical campus located north of them although you mentioned you will not be located there.
I'm making a pretty simple assumption that since he would be working at the "Bayview campus" as well, that he would not be working at the University campus, but the Hospital campus, which is definitely in the hood.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redd1skng View Post
HAHA. Are you kidin' me?
Wait...you're saying it's not? You don't get around much. Get out of your cocoon and take a little drive up North Patterson Park Drive, North Collington St. and then get out and walk around a little. Take walk down Eastern Ave. toward little Italy, but take a trash bag with you (better take several) and check out the job the city does keeping the streets clean. Then, while you are out in the real Baltimore, go on down to the dilapidated SE District police station and try to walk up the front steps to the the lobby. Oh wait, the lobby is closed and the handrails are rusting off of the steps. Better yet go around back and ask for a little tour.

Don't just write back and tell me I'm full of crap. Go do these things. Here's a picture of that neighborhood taken from Google maps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	East Baltimore.jpg
Views:	10186
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	117815

Old 09-10-2013, 05:52 PM

26 posts, read 56,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by are you kidinme? View Post
Wait...you're saying it's not? You don't get around much. Get out of your cocoon and take a little drive up North Patterson Park Drive, North Collington St. and then get out and walk around a little. Take walk down Eastern Ave. toward little Italy, but take a trash bag with you (better take several) and check out the job the city does keeping the streets clean. Then, while you are out in the real Baltimore, go on down to the dilapidated SE District police station and try to walk up the front steps to the the lobby. Oh wait, the lobby is closed and the handrails are rusting off of the steps. Better yet go around back and ask for a little tour.

Don't just write back and tell me I'm full of crap. Go do these things. Here's a picture of that neighborhood taken from Google maps.

Attachment 117815
Or you could go just south of the Hopkins campus and see the clean, beautiful, tree-lined streets that eventually lead straight to the water, like Wolfe or Washington. Plenty of young professionals (among others) live safely and happily in these areas.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:00 AM

Now I get it.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Or you could go just south of the Hopkins campus and see the clean, beautiful, tree-lined streets that eventually lead straight to the water, like Wolfe or Washington. Plenty of young professionals (among others) live safely and happily in these areas.
It appears the OP will not take up my suggestion, but will instead walk the tree lined streets of Butcher's Hill. That seems to often be the case with those who only acknowledge one side of Baltimore. Oh, and remember, don't walk those tree lined streets with a cell phone or ipod in your hands.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:07 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,098,638 times
Quote:

You should google Zach Sowers. He and his wife (who was his high school sweetheart), both of whom were college grad Hopkins employees, were living safely and happily in that area until one day a gang of thugs accosted him on his front doorstep. He was so badly beaten that he was unrecognizable lying in a Johns Hopkins hospital bed to even his wife. After an extended period of time in a coma, he is now living safely and happily in heaven, while his widowed wife, a former medical professional, is studying hard in law school to try to understand how our justice system could be so screwed up.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:42 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,898,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
You should google Zach Sowers. He and his wife (who was his high school sweetheart), both of whom were college grad Hopkins employees, were living safely and happily in that area until one day a gang of thugs accosted him on his front doorstep. He was so badly beaten that he was unrecognizable lying in a Johns Hopkins hospital bed to even his wife. After an extended period of time in a coma, he is now living safely and happily in heaven, while his widowed wife, a former medical professional, is studying hard in law school to try to understand how our justice system could be so screwed up.
I see we have a new poster who is going to make it their goal on here to keep everyone from moving to Baltimore, and instead commute from places like Philly and DC. Zach Sowers is a tragic story, no doubt about it, but it was more than 6 years ago and thousands and thousands of people have lived in that area and passed through and haven't been murdered. The story even was the main cog in getting the State's Attorney to lose re-election. So a terrible negative was turned into a small positive and a reason for change.

Since DC is so great, why don't you google some of the murders they've had in the last 12 months in great areas like Capitol Hill, Woodley Park, and Columbia Heights or a triple shooting they had in Georgetown two Halloweens ago.

I'm not trying to put down DC, but for you to hold an area accountable because of one incident six years ago is flat our ridiculous and absolute trolling. Take just about any are in the last 6 years, many considered as safe as anywhere, and you'll find some really tragic incidents.

It is a great area, and it is not perfect, but the chances of you getting murdered there are incredibly, incredibly low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore