Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 09:16 AM

15 posts, read 21,824 times

Advertisements

Would it be a good idea to attend UMBC for graduate studies, for biology and chemistry majors? How are the research activities there? I really like the city of Baltimore(traveled there last fall) but my gpa/gre is not high enough for jhu... it's high enough for a top80 graduate school, though. So I have been considering whether I should apply to UMBC. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 02:32 PM

225 posts, read 429,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GwendolynChen View Post
Would it be a good idea to attend UMBC for graduate studies, for biology and chemistry majors? How are the research activities there? I really like the city of Baltimore(traveled there last fall) but my gpa/gre is not high enough for jhu... it's high enough for a top80 graduate school, though. So I have been considering whether I should apply to UMBC. Any suggestions?
For sciences it's the best option outside of JHU, but definitely a big step down. The university is going up in the rankings, though. If you like Baltimore I'd give it a shot. The faculty research is quite good from what I know of it.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:23 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,335 times
Towson University is an excellent option for biology. It is a better value for your dollar than JHU.

http://grad.towson.edu/program/master/biol-ms/

Old 10-14-2013, 06:52 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,424,997 times
My godmother, cousins attended UMBC during the 1980's. One came out of the "once-strong" Africana/Black Studies department, and the other in engineering. Good school!! Strong research facilities. It's a uber-guber, ultra geek school. You'll do fine!

Be a retriever! Lmao..

Old 10-14-2013, 06:54 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,424,997 times
They used to call UMBC (U Must Be Chinese) because of the large Asian population at the school, and how hard and rigorous Asian students are about their studies.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:20 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
Towson University is an excellent option for biology. It is a better value for your dollar than JHU.

Biology Master of Science (M.S.) - Towson University
This is terrible advice. Don't even think about Towson -- it's not a research-1 university, and does not offer a PhD in any of the sciences.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:21 AM

225 posts, read 429,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
They used to call UMBC (U Must Be Chinese) because of the large Asian population at the school, and how hard and rigorous Asian students are about their studies.
Also heard "U Must Be Crazy" and "University of Baltimore, Behind Catonsville"... heh.

I would recommend looking at the US News rankings. They aren't the end-all-be-all, but they should give you an idea. If a school is not ranked, it's bad & you should not go there, frankly.

A second, and very important consideration, is what KIND of research you want to do. I would look up the profiles of all the faculty at the institutes in question and see if you like what they do, because you will wind up working with one of them. You should also talk to them directly, and try to find out what funding is like, what the job market is like after graduation.

I know you think you like Baltimore, but if you are serious about your education, you should be applying nationwide (or even world-wide) and trying to get the best place you can.

Biology is a *tough* field if you want to stay in academia, also. That's why I'd recommend finding a messageboard for biology grad sutdents and post-docs and asking questions. You should know these things going in, because grad school is a long slog of hard work and low pay. (I say this as a PhD Scientist).

Old 10-14-2013, 12:45 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmiesix View Post

I know you think you like Baltimore, but if you are serious about your education, you should be applying nationwide (or even world-wide) and trying to get the best place you can.
I would second that sentiment, and add a caveat... if you are doing a graduate program in the sciences, you will very rarely see the outside of the lab anyway. You could be in Timbuktu for as much as you'll see of whatever city you are in. Seriously. The classrooms, the lab, your advisor's office, your TA cubicle, the library, on campus events with free food, yours and your fellow students' tiny cheap apartments, the occasional conference where 10 of you will crash in one hotel room, whatever store sells the cheapest ramen noodles, and the local bar where everyone goes to gripe. Those are the only places you will ever go. If you don't have a washer/dryer in your building, I would add the laundromat. Heh.

Just pick a good program.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:55 PM

556 posts, read 946,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post

Biology Master of Science (M.S.) - Towson University
If a school is worth attending for graduate studies in the sciences, then they will have funding to cover tuition and a stipend for graduate students. The cost of attendance at JHU is irrelevant - PhD students don't actually pay out of pocket, and really talented Master's student usually don't.

To the OP - if you are truly serious about pursing graduate education in biology, I recommend getting an entry level job as a research assistant in the field (any college/university with a biology dept is a great place to start). A few years of work experience can go a long way toward getting into a better graduate school. If you work for a college/university, you will probably be able to take a few classes for free or very low cost, and you can use that to improve your academic portfolio. It's worth it to take a few extra years if it means attending a better school in the end. The reputation of the school you attend for MS/PhD is far more important that undergraduate reputation.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:56 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,335 times
The OP already said that he/she does NOT have the gpa to get into Hopkins. That's why I recommend Towson, since the chances of getting a free ride are low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore