Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 08:49 PM

62 posts, read 103,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by versicle View Post
Thanks, Baltplanner, for your comments. My spouse and I are considering moving to Baltimore from NYC for a job (and just for general affordability / ability to buy a house, etc.) and it's been helpful to have your counterpoint to some of the more negative views of the city. Your perspective is very useful as we consider this decision.
I live part-time in both places. I much prefer Baltimore. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 06:57 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,975,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltplanner View Post
I wanted to let people know that I work for a state agency, not the city. I'm not trying to be pro-Baltimore because I'm being forced to by my job. I'm pro-Baltimore because I'm a resident and I think that its a really cool, underrated place.
I think the word is getting out there about how amazing this city is! I mentioned in other posts about friends that fled to the County and lost equity....even friends that thought they were making great investments by buying in York, PA are trying to come back. Every home that has been renovated by Seawall Development in my neighborhood was purchased before they barely began the project. They are now working on homes on other streets in Remington.

I see this city, especially North Baltimore and areas around the harbor, attracting more young homeowners and families.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:14 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,446,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
I think the word is getting out there about how amazing this city is! I mentioned in other posts about friends that fled to the County and lost equity....even friends that thought they were making great investments by buying in York, PA are trying to come back. Every home that has been renovated by Seawall Development in my neighborhood was purchased before they barely began the project. They are now working on homes on other streets in Remington.

I see this city, especially North Baltimore and areas around the harbor, attracting more young homeowners and families.
Remington is getting nicer for sure, poised to do really well. I'm looking forward to all the work going on Calvert St and New Greenmount West.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:14 AM

232 posts, read 346,003 times
How about Amazon announcing 1,000 new jobs in a new facility in Baltimore yesterday?

Old 10-23-2013, 10:16 AM

219 posts, read 403,671 times
The following charts show the 10 year changes in total non-farm employment in each metropolitan area in the northeast corridor. As you can see Baltimore has now fully recovered from the recession and shows a reasonable growth rate compared to each of the other metros. In each metro area the population in the principal city is growing faster than Baltimore. As we continue to reinvest in quality of life issues we could realistically expect to see faster population growth rates that are more in line with the major cities in our region. A 3-5% increase in the city's population by the end of the decade seems reasonable.

Baltimore
Bureau of Labor Statistics Data

DC

Philly

NYC

Boston

Last edited by baltplanner; 10-23-2013 at 11:45 AM..

Old 10-23-2013, 11:44 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,975,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWBFAN View Post
How about Amazon announcing 1,000 new jobs in a new facility in Baltimore yesterday?
Wow! That's great news! Thanks for letting us know. The Southeast part of the city really will benefit from this announcement. Baltimore definitely needs these types of jobs with great benefits and a living wage.

Amazon.com To Open Baltimore Distribution Center, Giving Area 1,000+ Jobs « CBS Baltimore

Old 10-23-2013, 01:39 PM

Thanks for posting the link to the story. Only unknown is the date to start construction.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:55 PM

62 posts, read 103,265 times
Nice. I wonder if this means faster shipping....

Old 10-24-2013, 07:57 AM

I did read it means a 6% sales tax...

Old 10-25-2013, 07:36 AM

225 posts, read 426,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post

North Baltimore is very underpriced compared to comparable homes in DC "inner suburbs". I get that DC has a whole different thing going on, but it shocks me that my husband and I bought a beautiful place on the historic register (!) in Roland Park that would cost 5 - 8 times as much in a comparable part of DC. And from what I can tell the crime rate is no worse here than there. Plus we are in a good school district (Roland Elementary). The only downside is the high taxes, which I hear are coming down, which is very welcome news. And Baltimore is way, way less pretentious compared to DC. I'm not sorry at all that we moved here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: