Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2013, 08:33 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,357,122 times

Advertisements

Over the river and through the hood...to Baltimore we go........This week..thousands of Inlaws will be pouring into charm city.. For some, this will be their first visit to our fair City..Some.. Like my inlaws...may have been once or twice and come from a small town in the rural south..They begin to wringing their hands in August at the thought of coming to my adopted hometown in November for Thanksgiving...and wonder why I ever moved here with their beloved daughter when she said 'I do'. For many an Inlaw a visit to Baltimore can be great.. experiencing the wonders of our fair city under the guidance of a resident... all the touristy and not so touristy but just as interesting places that Charm City has to offer. They will leave with a smile on their face and likely say 'wow.. we need to come back and visit.. maybe when its warmer....'

Others will raise their eyebrows as you try to distract them from the Evening News with holiday treats and booze as they peer past you at the image of Jamie Costello on the TV giving them the run down of all the bad things that are happening just outside your door.. which makes your father-in-law give the front door one more check of the lock.. a good tug for good measure and then peers suspiciously out the window as he hears voices from pedestrians walking ......just before he eyeballs your security system keypad with a smirk and wonders how that would deter anyone from entering your abode.. I can see the wheels turning as he ponders a special gift of a 357 magnum that will placed in the box deep under the tree only to be discovered after Xmas when you are taking down the tree and he is long gone from having to answer any questions.....

Inevidibly there will be questions about the helicopter flying overhead...the sounds of EMS vehicles buzzing back and forth through the night.. brief conversations about Baltimore nuances.. such as WTF is Lake Trout...or those odd people standing at bus stops with their index fingers pointing at the ground...The look on my mother in laws face was priceless when we pulled up in front of the World Famous Lexington Market and it took me a good ten minutes to convince her that ' yes'..that it is safe to get out and "yes" they do sell fresh fish in there...and "no".... World Famous" is not a play on words with a wink and a knod..and "yes" those guys might be selling drugs on the corner or they may actually be waiting on the bus..and the guy doing the dope fiend lean back and forth as if his feet are nailed to the ground is in fact high and not doing some type of new dance.......Then there was the scuffle in front of the Target at Mondawmin that ended with the violent take down of a shop lifter after a brief car and foot chase... that would have been the talk for decades in many small towns.. but in Baltimore...passed by as just another event.

The point is... Baltimore lets BEHAVE.. this Thanksgiving weekend...Lets think of all the Inlaws from South Carolina, Oregon, Western PA, Kentucky, the UK, or even South Africa and points beyond.. that will be visiting with us. Lets put on our best behavior and show that we are a "World Class City" and not that other place....somebody's marriage depends on it..........Stay Classy Baltimore

Last edited by Woodlands; 11-25-2013 at 08:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 08:44 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,424,137 times
First, those 2 words, "Baltimore and class" don't go well together. That is like fire and ice!

Seriously?!! You should tell your in-laws to come to Baltimore strapped! Considering the hunger, mental disposition and current savage behavior of many Baltimoreans, you'd best stay alert, attentive and prepared. In a proverbial Sean Carter (Jay Z.) quote:

"The streets are watching!"

Old 11-25-2013, 08:59 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Tis the Season to BeHAVE

Over the river and through the hood...
The point is... Baltimore lets BEHAVE.. this Thanksgiving weekend...
Keep a careful eye on weird Uncle Charlie...
and never leave Dad and (you know who) alone in the same room...

LINKY

Old 11-25-2013, 09:07 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,258,832 times
I have a friend who, instead of saying that he is "behaving", says that he is "being have (pronounced with long 'a' sound)".

Old 11-26-2013, 06:53 AM

775 posts, read 1,785,006 times
I'm not sure how to take the OP. If it's meant as a sarcastic joke, I kind of get it. If it's meant to be serious I don't get it at all. After seeing all the things you describe (not uncommon) we are going to convince someone that Baltimore is a "world class city?" Not unless they have had waaaay too much egg nog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore