U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-28-2007, 06:26 PM

126 posts, read 327,124 times

Advertisements

A single family in Original Northwood is going to run them more than $200 to $300K. I live in the neighborhood and most of the homes on the market when we bought were over $300K, however with recent housing woes perhaps one can get a better deal. I will say there are a lot of young couples with kids and its a diverse neighborhood.

Schools I can't comment on. I can't imagine that they're all that great. I like the neighborhood, but it does border some "gritty" areas. Having moved from Northern Virginia, still getting used to that. Much of Baltimore seems to be this way though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post
If you don't mind rowhouses, there are a few blocks of Hampden overlooking Wyman Park that have nice brick rowhouses with front porches (and noticeably bigger than your usual Hampden house). The upper blocks of Keswick, and Beech Avenue, and Wyman Park Drive are places to look at. These houses feed into the Roland Park Elementary School (I think, ask your realtor). A number of young professional families live here (some walk to work at Hopkins across the park). As you know, Hampden is awash with boutiques and eateries.

Another possibility is Original Northwood.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 01:20 AM

10 posts, read 28,974 times
Sorry, JDS34, but if I were you I would get out of town altogether. I've been reading all these threads and posts from people with their blinders on about what's going on in Baltimore, and I'm guessing none of them have had young people in their homes in quite a long time. By young people, I mean teenagers. I was born and raised in Baltimore County and have lived in the same home in Parkville for most of my life and have watched my neighborhood, and the neighborhoods I frequented, go to Hell in a handbasket. I have a young step-daughter and a newborn now, and my husband and I are looking for any escape possible. I would suggest getting as far from the city as possible, but that won't do any good either because parts of Harford County are ridden with gangs now, too. It seems like some parts of PA are better than others, though. Sorry, but my experiences and observation have led me to believe that if your teenager/your teenage neighbor/your teenage friend isn't on heroin, he/she is the minority. My family obviously doesn't have the kind of money yours does (since Roland Park was even an option for you at one point), so our options are more limited than yours, but if I had the money to, I would leave the state pronto. My brother and I have a 7 year age difference and went to the same high school. The changes that began taking place when I graduated rapidly went downhill to where I have no faith in any of our communities anymore. I've watched all the "good kids" I grew up with, along with sweet, innocent kids on my block, succumb to drugs and I'm not taking chances with my own. This is a suburban neighborhood with good, hard-working families, so imagine what it's like the closer to the city you get. All of my hip, young friends who lived downtown in "nice" neighborhoods like Mt. Vernon and Canton, are now are starting families of their own and are moving out. I would actually feel safer about living here with my babies than with young adults because of the tremendous peer pressure they feel when it seems that literally EVERYONE around them is on heroin or worse. The only difference between here and downtown is the violent crime rate, but I believe the amount of drugs is all the same. Good luck to you and your family.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:30 PM

15 posts, read 31,326 times
Thanks everyone for the replies. Icky76, sorry to hear about your experiences. My son is only 16 months old, so hopefully I won't have to worry for a couple years at least.

I took your advice and looked at some of the neighborhoods around Belvedere Square, which I really liked. However, the only houses in our price range are pretty small, not a lot bigger than the rowhouse we're living in now, although they have yards and drivewasy. I'm still interested in Mayfield and some of the NE neighborhoods, but they seem a little sketchier and I don't like how close Mayfield is to some seedy areas in E. Baltimore/Harford rd.

I'm curiuos how safe Mayfield and other NE hoods are and if it makes sense to get a smaller house in a nicer area or a larger house in a lesser area?

Old 12-05-2007, 06:33 AM

1,965 posts, read 4,300,432 times
Default Just wait

JDS34 -- Unless you have to act now, just wait. By April you will see very interesting downward pricing in many neighborhoods.
Have you looked at Lakeside, between the old Memorial Stadium and the recently repaved Montebello reservoir? Its single-family houses are a cross between Ednor Gardens and Northwood, both of which I like. Prices should be much better and without the elements you worry about in Mayfield.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:25 PM

20 posts, read 12,601 times
Default Helpful info,, Thanks

We are looking for some advice and/or input for the Baltimore area. We are moving to the area soon and would appreciate some help. What neighborhoods would you recommend with good schools in and around Baltimore. We have 1 child in the later part of elementary school so a good Middle school is a must also. we prefer the urban lifestyle, diverse culture, multiple races, and community involvement. Good schools are a must so if that means we live outside of the city, then that is what we will do, but we believe in the urban lifestyle and sure we can find what we want in such a diverse city like Baltimore. Please help all info will be appreciated.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:54 AM

457 posts, read 682,875 times
I would suggest the Overlea/Hamilton/Lauraville area. Inexpensive, but demographically decent.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:29 PM

7 posts, read 20,562 times
Coming from west baltimore was a total culture shock and I didn't even leave the city. Its "nice" but a lot of people were stuck in their ways and older. At times it felt like I was in a 1950s southern state if you catch my drift. The houses are nice though. Quiet,and not far from downtown. The teens regardless of race are mainly posers trying to be tough. Big diference from your average street dude from west baltimore or east baltimore. Northeast seems more like a suburb at times but you still have the baltimore element. Its probably the best place to raise a child for your income though. Not much culture though. You wont find a lot of young variety like you would in your current neighborhood. Mostly old homeowners that don't want any trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore