Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 08:47 AM

805 posts, read 2,115,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
I heard that Baltimore City passed a law that required landlords to take an evicted tenant's belongings to a storage unit, rather than leave them on the curb in front of the property as they used to do. Is this true? Maybe the landlord should also put the displaced tenant up for a few nights in his home.
The law that I'm aware of is that the landlord has to take the tenant's belongings to the dump.

Maybe the landlord should also wipe their ass
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 01:54 PM

174 posts, read 486,280 times
You don't have to store the tenant's stuff, but you can't leave it on the curb like in the good old days.

When tenants are evicted, anything they leave behind is "left behind," and you have to do something with it. Haul it off (the dump, or bulk-pickup), or sell it, or throw it away.

Just becomes a part of the clean-up cost that you then sue them for.

MC

Old 02-07-2014, 02:44 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I lived in Minneapolis for ten years. One thing I learned from living there, and not through experience, is that it is illegal for a landlord or utility company to turn off your heat between October and May. If I recall correctly, the same goes for evictions. I am fully aware that MPLS gets a heckofalot colder than Baltimore, but, perhaps the City of Baltimore has similar law?

This.

I'm assuming they don't want a situation where newly evicted people are freezing to death in the streets in the dead of winter. I guess homeless shelters are already full. One child found frozen to death huddled next to his siblings in an alley and the city will enjoy heaps of horrible publicity. Not to mention the morality of it. So yeah.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:09 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,475,158 times
It seems to me that landlords should know the rules before they rent and if they feel they're unacceptable then they shouldn't rent. No state planner is forcing you to be a landlord.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:15 PM

174 posts, read 486,280 times
I'm unsure if you're writing with biting satire, or actually thinking that most landlords don't know "the rules," and that if they know "the rules" and choose to be landlords anyway that they are to blame for bad political choices that make it easy for the people they do business with (ie, renters) to not keep up their end of the business agreement.

No one forces anyone to go into business. Are you in business? Who forced you? And, when your business is adversely affected by political decisions that are out of your control... is it your fault? Did you make a mistake?

I think it's satire. You are an excellent satirist.

MC

Old 02-08-2014, 07:49 PM

777 posts, read 881,656 times
A warm stroke of humanity
in the cold heart of a skinflint
is sometimes worth your while.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:53 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalfortune View Post
Cancelled again!

No precip, just, ya know, too cold for the delicate little sheriff.

Another weekend of free livin' in Balt City! Why pay rent at all?

I wish I could just give the house to this tenant as punishment and let the tenant pick up the tax and utility bills and ultimately foreclose. What do I need this hassle and expense for?

Amazing system, Baltimore City is.

MC

Sign a Quit Claim deed, problem solved.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:46 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,104,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777
I heard that Baltimore City passed a law that required landlords to take an evicted tenant's belongings to a storage unit, rather than leave them on the curb in front of the property as they used to do. Is this true? Maybe the landlord should also put the displaced tenant up for a few nights in his home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboltonman View Post
The law that I'm aware of is that the landlord has to take the tenant's belongings to the dump.

Maybe the landlord should also wipe their ass

It is nice to see that you and I think alike.

I can remember the good old days when one could put the belongings in the street. Then things changed and you had to put it on the curb. Then you had to wait for the sheriff to come there to tell you where to put it as they didn't want to block the sidewalk. Then there was a bill in the city council that would have required landlords to take the tenant's stuff and put it in a storage unit for at least thirty days to be paid by the landlord. The consolation to landlords was that you could sue the tenant for the removal and storage charges. I would imagine that bill would have been pushed by the owners of storage units. from what I heard, the bill had a very good chance of passing because community leaders were constantly complaining about piles of eviction stuff littering the neighborhoods. I did not know if the bill passed or not, which is why I brought it up. I wouldn't put anything past the Baltimore City council so the landlords may have to keep a lot of toilet paper for future evictions.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:30 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,335 times
A landlord (with a history of renting substandard apartments to the poor) was attacked and robbed last month here in Remington. It was reported to have happened in the afternoon while he walked around collecting rent.

The idiot was jacked for over $3000! This was the second time he was robbed. I would bet that the three teenage delinquents that beat him down were related to one of his tenants.

As I read your post above, reminiscing about the good old days I got the feeling you might be a slumlord....

Bragging about throwing out peoples belongings in the street?

Oh, and no one that saw the attack was able to give the police a description of the attackers.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:34 AM

805 posts, read 2,115,734 times
Promote street justice. Great job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: