Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 09:58 PM

661 posts, read 1,241,930 times

Advertisements

ok so I called after 5 p.m. before the day of my supposed jury duty, phone was busy for at least an hour. I thought this was supposed to be an automated recording? Anyway, I called later during night time, my exact reporting number wasn't called, so what now? Do I still show up there or what? I might just show up either way just to see how it works, maybe stop by to get a list of "court tax sales" I read about regarding real estate for sale. Wouldn't the courthouse have this? Would the register of deeds be in the courthouse as well? How about the sheriff's auction? I think I saw the sheriff's office next to the courthouse so might as well stop by huh?

Must my EXACT reporting number have to be called in? I called the hotline and my # wasn't called. Let's say my number was 5093, the number called was 5083. Do I show up or not? What would happen if I showed up even if my # wasn't called? I plan on showing up so I know how it goes for next time.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:38 PM

EXACTLY!

and B.K. is saying I still have to show up to court on my due date. He is confusing everyone here.

Are those "boots" they place on your wheel so you can't drive a sign that you skipped jury duty or is it about something else? I've seen a car parked somewhere that was ok to park but curious what the boot could mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
That thing about calling the courthouse on the evening before your scheduled day of jury service is what I consider to be the biggest pain in the neck about the whole thing. It forces you to make whatever plans and arrangements are necessary for you to be able to serve, but it's all kept uncertain until you make that call and find out if you're actually going to be called to court.

Last edited by thealfa; 03-12-2014 at 11:55 PM..

Old 03-15-2014, 07:56 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,966,949 times
This is why I was reluctant to appear for jury duty when I lived in Baltimore City. God bless ya, OP, but I would have jumped through a window had you and I shared a jury room for hours on end.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:58 PM

45,022 posts, read 60,017,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
This is why I was reluctant to appear for jury duty when I lived in Baltimore City. God bless ya, OP, but I would have jumped through a window had you and I shared a jury room for hours on end.
I really don't think anyone can be as stupid as the OP seems. And I know some really stupid people.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:09 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,966,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I really don't think anyone can be as stupid as the OP seems. And I know some really stupid people.
Stupid or childish, I still wouldn't want to be locked in a room with someone like OP. One of us, OP or me, would end up in front of the Judge. Probably me

Old 03-15-2014, 11:34 PM

Do jurors determine the fate of the defendant? If so, I think it is a failed system who said it was perfect. All the evidence was there but seems like some jurors appeared to be empathetic towards the accused (for any reason, but in USA it's always racial). Of course this is supposed to be a "fair" system after all.

Jury duty pays for lunch and parking. Not sure why they had to call hundreds of people for jury duty to select only a few. Everyone got $15 lunch and parking money. I suppose this came out of taxpayer's? Good experience nonetheless. Is there a way to find out if a city or state I am moving to next have this annual jury duty that Maryland has?

Old 04-21-2014, 11:06 AM

1,850 posts, read 1,129,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Savage View Post
They get their pool from both MVA and voter registration, so opting out of one still leaves you in the other. Don't vote, don't drive. Remember too, not all the residents (700,000 ) are eligible to serve on a jury, and with the population shrinking more, those that qualify get called more often.

If you get to the voir dire portion, and don't want to be selected, it's relatively easy to get out. You will be recycled back to the main pool to be sorted again though. LEO's and a victims of a violent crime will almost never serve on a jury.
Way I got out of jury duty was when the judge would ask all of us if we ever had bad experiences with police officers. I have and always said so, which I was dismissed immediately.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:03 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,733,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltItaly View Post
If you do actually serve on a jury and the trial last three or more days, you will not be called again for 3 years. Not sure if that is still the case. Maybe someone else is more informed.

Well, three (or however many it is in your venue) years for that division. Let's not forget state, county, federal, town....Once you're tapped, you're tapped forever.

Take me, for example..."Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in."

Old 04-21-2014, 06:11 PM

dismissed as in out of the courthouse or the judge ask you to go back to whichever room you were supposed to be in meaning you'd still have to be in the courthouse until it was announced everyone is dismissed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbkr5 View Post
Way I got out of jury duty was when the judge would ask all of us if we ever had bad experiences with police officers. I have and always said so, which I was dismissed immediately.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:42 PM

103 posts, read 325,443 times
I got a summons for jury duty just recently and I had a few logistical questions about it. I've never done jury duty before, and I don't mind serving. I have health issues, though. I can walk (sometimes not long or far), but I'd need to bring my wheelchair to have a seat that isn't painful-- a long time sitting on the wrong chair means excruciating pain, sometimes for days. It says I can bring medications, do I need to bring all of them in their proper bottles? Because that's just... well, there are quite a few, and some of them are a serious theft risk. Can you bring your own lunch? (Yes, there's a medical reason to ask that, too.) If I can have my chair, meds, and food that doesn't make me sick, there shouldn't be any reason I can't serve, but if I can't have these things, I need to know how to properly document that on the form I return and what I need my doctor to provide.

I'm okay with being selected, I'm just worried that if they see me walk, they'll decide I don't need & can't have the chair and it's pretty essential if they want me to do the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore