Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 08:09 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
That's a long list....but I can add to it. PORTLAND has a great system. Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Los Angeles too.

Last edited by Yac; 02-19-2014 at 05:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 06:29 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,417,247 times
I'm not defecating on Baltimore's transit system, just having a little fun over here! I'm only familiar with NYC, Philly, Houston, Chicago, and DC's transit system. Baltimore may have better than average as opposed to other cities, and that is fine. But, personally, I don't like and enjoy Baltimore's (Maryland in general) transit system. So many problems getting where I need to go, especially places that are not on a central line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
No city in America has a transit system like NYC. Baltimore may not have a better transit system like New York City but it's still is one best cities in the US when it comes to transit. Outside of NYC, Chicago, Philly, DC, Boston, and San Francisco I can't think any other cites in the entire country that has better mass transit than Baltimore. There is only a handful of cites that have commuter rail, light rail, inter-city rail, and a subway system. Baltimore is on that short list.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:33 AM

Philadelphia SEPTA's and NJ Transit system is better than Baltimore. I can get to the butt-country ass labyrinths of southern New Jersey neighborhoods, Philly suburbs and other places where my family and friends live on this system.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:51 AM

95 posts, read 170,888 times
The Red Line will help things out for connecting the current rail lines. Hopefully it'll be finished by 2021 as planned.

http://baltimoretransit.blogspot.com

Old 02-19-2014, 11:58 AM

8,222 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Minneapolis.. Has a good light rail, bus, and commuter rail system.... You could probably add Miami-Dade/Ft Lauderdale as well....LA is also getting better... after the fact....

Old 02-19-2014, 12:13 PM

2021 Bro??!!! That might as well be somewhere in a galaxy...far far away!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde Pharmer View Post
The Red Line will help things out for connecting the current rail lines. Hopefully it'll be finished by 2021 as planned.

Baltimore's Mass Transit Movements

Old 02-19-2014, 12:14 PM

A friend of a friend said something about Minneapolis's transit system and how pretty good it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Minneapolis.. Has a good light rail, bus, and commuter rail system.... You could probably add Miami-Dade/Ft Lauderdale as well....LA is also getting better... after the fact....

Old 02-19-2014, 12:21 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Well, I can tell you how it WOULDN'T look.

It wouldn't look like that stupid little fishhook of a Subway and straight-line Light Rail with totally incompatible rolling stock that we have now. Had the Subway been built to the original plan, we'd have had something useful that could be expanded as necessary. Instead, we're stuck with the kluge that we have now.
But, such a system would attract new business, residents, and money that could very well turn Baltimore into a self-sufficient city, why would anyone want that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
Ooooooh! I love this!!

But I would change the Elkridge stop to Columbia and add another line that goes into DC. Not Union Station but maybe Dupont Circle or something. And maybe that same line could connect to a line that goes up to Rockville and Bethesda
As someone who lives in Columbia, a subway line, lite rail line, or more frequent commuter busses would be awesome. Even better would be a connection from Columbia to BWI other than the Silver bus. But hey, local residents love to speak of "the vision of Rouse" and that vision is one of car culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
It always irritated me that the Baltimore and DC metros were PURPOSELY built to different electrical and rail standards so they cannot interconnect! could you imagine a system that went from Baltimore to Columbia and on to DC!
Baltimore aside, there definitely needs to be a rail line between Columbia and DC.

Quote:
No city in America has a transit system like NYC. Baltimore may not have a better transit system like New York City but it's still is one best cities in the US when it comes to transit. Outside of NYC, Chicago, Philly, DC, Boston, and San Francisco I can't think any other cites in the entire country that has better mass transit than Baltimore. There is only a handful of cites that have commuter rail, light rail, inter-city rail, and a subway system. Baltimore is on that short list.
One of the best? You got to be kidding.

Quote:
I would still give the edge to Baltimore. The only thing that Portland does better than Baltimore when it comes to transportation in light rail. Baltimore is superior in commuter rail, inter-city rail, and subway service(which is something Portland doesn't have).
What most people know of Portland today is relatively new. It was not that long ago (20 years?) when Portland was seriously beginning to resemble a stereotypical Rust Belt town. The city had to hire a group to come in and turn Portland into what most now know it to be. If I remember correctly, Sacramento hired the same group to revitalize downtown Sacramento.

But seriously, how is Baltimore superior in commuter rail? Or inter-city rail? Or with the one-line Metro?

Old 02-19-2014, 01:18 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,380,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post

As someone who lives in Columbia, a subway line, lite rail line, or more frequent commuter busses would be awesome. Even better would be a connection from Columbia to BWI other than the Silver bus. But hey, local residents love to speak of "the vision of Rouse" and that vision is one of car culture.
As someone who works and commutes to Columbia daily, its a b*tch to get in and out of daily. My only main access is 95 or 70 to 29. Ugh!!

Quote:

But seriously, how is Baltimore superior in commuter rail? Or inter-city rail? Or with the one-line Metro?
I always thought B-more's public transit was lacking. We have ONE metro line that runs on ONE side of town. To connect from metro to Light Rail, I used to have to get off at Lexington Market and walk the block and a half outdoors to then get on the Light Rail stop. I used to wonder how do people on the east side get downtown?

And I honestly think if you don't have a car, you ain't getting far. One thing I do admire about DC, NYC and Boston is that one could actually have the option of not driving and still get most places in an efficient time. If you don't have a car in B-more, there are a bunch of places you won't get to.

For giggles, I've sometimes looked up directions on Google Maps using only public transit. Average travel time was 1.5 - 2 hours.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:34 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I'm not joking. Baltimore is a top 10 city when it comes to mass transit.

Quote:
What most people know of Portland today is relatively new. It was not that long ago (20 years?) when Portland was seriously beginning to resemble a stereotypical Rust Belt town. The city had to hire a group to come in and turn Portland into what most now know it to be. If I remember correctly, Sacramento hired the same group to revitalize downtown Sacramento.

I'm been on the transit systems of both cities. Baltimore transit overall is clearly better. It not only offers more transit options but better service as well. MARC train > West Side Service, Amtrak NEC > Amtrak Coast Starlight, Baltimore Metro > Portland's lack of a subway system.

Portland Rail Map

http://trimet.org/images/max/header-simplemap.gif

Baltimore Rail Map

http://www.perryvillemd.org/pics/marc-train-map.gif

I will asked you again, "which city do you think has the better mass transit?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore