Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2007, 07:33 PM

2 posts, read 5,141 times

Advertisements

Greetings- After living in Carroll County for 12 years, I've decided to move back to Baltimore. I work downtown and am tired of the commute, plus my kids are in college in and around Baltimore and they will be living with me.
I lived in Baltimore since the 70's so I am no polyanna but do want to move me (a single female) and my college age kids into a relatively safe neighborhood. I'm looking at a house in Waltherson (near where I lived before) but the crime stats look a little dicey. Has it really changed so much in the last 12 years? Also looking at Original Northwood. What about Hamden/Wyman Park? Is Wyman Park safe during the day? What about Keswick Ave or Beech Street? Cannot afford Oakenshaw or Roland Park.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 08:10 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,809,455 times
Default NE and beyond

Debra -- I am a great believer in the Greater Lauraville neighborhoods (google). They have gotten stronger in recent years. The downside is that there are an awful lot of houses with "For Sale" signs in the Harford Road corridor, near Northern Parkway. I was just there today, driving on Kenmore. In contrast to Lauraville, where people of all ethnic backgrounds are buying, many -- if not all -- sales on Kenmore seem to be black.
The reason I mention race here is that Baltimore has a very racist history, and once a neighborhood is perceived as going black, it will. (You didn't ask, but I was visiting black relatives there).
I am white, but my wife is an African American. We have white friends who live on Holder, which is off Echodale, near Walther. They have a modest but great house. But they are in their 80s, and then what? I, for one, don't think that racial change necessarily kills a neighborhood, but racial change and the lack of rejuvenation makes certain neighborhoods very vulnerable to all kinds of underhanded practices. For example, will those areas experience higher than average subprime problems, a calamity in any neighborhood? If so, what will happen to their stability?
So what am I saying? It all depends on your comfort level. I would not rule out the NE neighborhoods. Great houses, great prices. Just do your homework.
We are in our 60s and used to live in Union Square, a great neighborhood but also an island of middle-class prosperity in a sea of poverty, black and white. Many things were a struggle there, including police telling us "what do you expect," if we complained about something (We never had any crime happen to us).
When we moved seven years ago, we wanted a neighborhood where we would not have to worry about city services or stability during our life time. So we ended up among Orthodox Jews, although we are not Jewish.
To each one's own. Just my two pesos.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:08 AM

866 posts, read 2,628,526 times
I agree with Barante; the NE Baltimore neighborhoods are definitely worth exploring.

I know two people who live in Wyman Park (one on Beech, one on Tudor Arms) and they both love it, and have not had any problems. They love having the park right there, and it's close to Hampden.

Does anyone know what the neighborhood of Woodberry like? I am always intrigued by it (both the old part and the Clipper Mill development) when I drive through it or ride by it on the light rail (there is a stop there, so it seems like it would be ideal for downtown commuters).

Old 12-04-2007, 06:23 AM

78 posts, read 404,388 times
Try Lake/Walker area. This area is just east of York Rd at the city/county line. This is one area that has everything in walking distance. The York rd corridor has stores, movies, very safe, affordable, Belvedere Square(summer music programs), many restaurants, the BEST liquor store(Wells) in Baltimore etc... It is near Cedarcroft which is a very solid city neighborhood. The main problem with this area is the schools. Since your kids are grown this should be no problem. Worth a look.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:52 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,448,499 times
Well, what's your price range for a house? That will go a long way in determining what neighborhoods you can afford.

If you can afford the $400s, then you can buy a three story Victorian rowhouse in Bolton Hill (two listed on realtor.com on good blocks).

The $300s will get you a modest house in either Tuxedo Park and Evergreen-two little neighborhoods that border Roland Park.

Smaller houses can be had in Mount Washington in the $300s as well.

There's Mount Washington Heights, adjoining Mount Washington. There's pockets off York Road north of Northern Parkway that may have houses you can afford.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:42 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,598,386 times
emmaclover, check out arcadia, beverly hills, mayfield, or lauraville. Those would be your best bets out in northeast along Harford Road. I know several people out there and used to live there myself. They are wonderful, overlooked neighborhoods with no crime at all. I used to sleep with door open for the screen door air at night and never worried about stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: