Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 09:20 PM

620 posts, read 1,072,599 times

Advertisements

Its a great city with great people . What most stood out to me was the number of vacant, boarded up row homes thru out the city. I have seen abandoned homes but never so many , all next to each other in such large numbers. I saw very few ones that were rehabbed.

When did this all happen ?

There were whole blocks deserted with one or 2 homes with tenants (how must they feel?) and the rest boarded up. Only to see an alley way with more covered doors. People walking , hanging out or just "gettin' money"

There is absolutley nothing for toddlers or little kids to do. They hang out in the corners like they see the adults do.

How would this area change if there is little to no commerce in these neighborhoods ? There is no activity but barbershops, liquor store, chinese food joints, corner stores ? Orleans ave. , west baltimore

The people in these areas are also pretty cool individuals ( not everyone duh).

How much would one or block or rowhouses cost to buy ??? Would this area change eventually?

Its kinda sad because many of these kids are having kids which continue the cycle of poverty. Does the local gvt care about this or trying to do something about this ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 07:24 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Its a problem of scale... It would take millions of dollars to tear down all the vacants in the City. What would be left behind would be a wasteland with a Detriot-like moonscape effect. Would that make the remaining residents feel better or worse about their community? The vacant lots still have to be cleaned and mowed adding several thousand dollars per year in cost of maintenance that the City doesnt have. Its easier to do nothing until you are forced to... Some units are slowly being rehabbed by Habitat or other not for profits and as long as they secure and not a threat to pedestrians or occupied neighboring properties.. there is no code violation for having a vacant secured building.. even though it may be ugly.. The boards dont get pulled of of the vacants by themselves.... so that becomes a public safety issue which doesnt automatically mean that the building has to be torn down because it is vacant and people tear them off to go inside and smoke crack.. as long as the owner makes a reasonable effort to resecure them.. in many cases the owner is the City itself.

So there are no easy answers and absent a market solution for rowhomes to be reoccupied.. they will sit vacant.....It does however have a profound impact on life in the neighborhood visa vie the youth, their opinions of theselves and their neighborhood. Idling around.. well no one is living in many of these places to complain and BPD is going to prioritize its enforcement to areas where there are more residents (i.e. voters) and would likely rather have all the trouble makers, addicts and dealers occupying vacant blocks than terrorizing citizens in occupied ones....Its enforcement by attrition...

Old 03-24-2014, 12:56 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,417,247 times
"Its a great city with great people."

*Whatever you're smoking??! I want some of it please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post
Its a great city with great people . What most stood out to me was the number of vacant, boarded up row homes thru out the city. I have seen abandoned homes but never so many , all next to each other in such large numbers. I saw very few ones that were rehabbed.

When did this all happen ?

There were whole blocks deserted with one or 2 homes with tenants (how must they feel?) and the rest boarded up. Only to see an alley way with more covered doors. People walking , hanging out or just "gettin' money"

There is absolutley nothing for toddlers or little kids to do. They hang out in the corners like they see the adults do.

How would this area change if there is little to no commerce in these neighborhoods ? There is no activity but barbershops, liquor store, chinese food joints, corner stores ? Orleans ave. , west baltimore

The people in these areas are also pretty cool individuals ( not everyone duh).

How much would one or block or rowhouses cost to buy ??? Would this area change eventually?

Its kinda sad because many of these kids are having kids which continue the cycle of poverty. Does the local gvt care about this or trying to do something about this ??

Old 03-24-2014, 08:02 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,509,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
there is no code violation for having a vacant secured building.. even though it may be ugly..

So there are no easy answers and absent a market solution for rowhomes to be reoccupied.. they will sit vacant.....It does however have a profound impact on life in the neighborhood visa vie the youth, their opinions of theselves and their neighborhood. Idling around.. well no one is living in many of these places to complain and BPD is going to prioritize its enforcement to areas where there are more residents (i.e. voters) and would likely rather have all the trouble makers, addicts and dealers occupying vacant blocks than terrorizing citizens in occupied ones....Its enforcement by attrition...
Actually, a fully boarded home is a code violation. More specifically, since the code demands light and the potential fresh air in all bedrooms, upper floor boards are sure to draw a vacancy violation. Interestingly window sashes with no glass will not draw a vacancy violation. Can you imagine living in a house with no window glass all winter? No way!

Anyway, Woodlands quote about market solutions is spot on. The City has all the legal tools (Receivership) it needs to force the auctions of vacant houses in neighborhoods with a stronger market.

The economics of rehab are pretty easy. Figure $30-$100 per square foot depending on condition for a minimal rehab then multiply that by the square feet in the building (often listed in SDAT). After you do the multiplication, compare the result with the value of property in the area. If the value is lower, the building stays vacant.

A key policy issue is to make sure that there are sound roofs on vacant buildings - or buildings headed that way. If you can keep rehab costs near the bottom of the price range, the economics of rehab aren't quite as cruel.

Last edited by pwduvall; 03-24-2014 at 08:05 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 03-25-2014, 03:31 PM

556 posts, read 945,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
Actually, a fully boarded home is a code violation. More specifically, since the code demands light and the potential fresh air in all bedrooms, upper floor boards are sure to draw a vacancy violation. Interestingly window sashes with no glass will not draw a vacancy violation. Can you imagine living in a house with no window glass all winter? No way!

Anyway, Woodlands quote about market solutions is spot on. The City has all the legal tools (Receivership) it needs to force the auctions of vacant houses in neighborhoods with a stronger market.

The economics of rehab are pretty easy. Figure $30-$100 per square foot depending on condition for a minimal rehab then multiply that by the square feet in the building (often listed in SDAT). After you do the multiplication, compare the result with the value of property in the area. If the value is lower, the building stays vacant.

A key policy issue is to make sure that there are sound roofs on vacant buildings - or buildings headed that way. If you can keep rehab costs near the bottom of the price range, the economics of rehab aren't quite as cruel.
The roofs are one of the things that scares me about buying and rehabing in Baltimore. I know I'm going to take care of my own home, but don't necessarily trust neighbors to do so. There are so many rows of houses that need to come down because one or two have the roof falling in. I would be terrified of one neighbor's neglect causing structural problems for the whole block. I have the same fears about fires...

One idea I've been mulling, but don't know if it's feasible - tear down the rows that obviously need to go (collapsed roof or otherwise not structurally sound), and rather than build new homes, transfer the property to the adjacent row that backs up, so it would create a larger "back yard" for each row house. Attaching a back yard to a row house would hopefully make the property more appealing to people who are on the fence about living in a higher density area. It would also add green space to the city without the cost of maintaining parks. The yards obviously wouldn't be open to the public, but just having open space with grass and trees can make an area more appealing, even if it's only enjoyed from the sidewalk.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:37 PM

620 posts, read 1,072,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
"Its a great city with great people."

*Whatever you're smoking??! I want some of it please!

I went to get crabs in Orleans St. area and walked in to a liquor store to the ATM. I couldn't find it and one guy told me it didn't work but told me there is one around the corner. AS i was very scared and walked across the street aimlessly ( I didn't see the hidden store) he came and showed where it was.

When i bought the crabs , the lady kept smiling at me and saying that I reminded her of her grandkids and we started a conversation.

As I was waiting for the crabs, a young black couple came in and were asking me where did I get my new jordans that are "so hot" . I told them I am from NYC and my friend is a sneaker seller and if they want I can tell him to ship it to them for free. I gave them the info and 3 days later they bought a pair.

This is what I mean....everyone was really nice and not rude or mad. It helps to be open minded.

Keep in mind I am latino and do not look black in any way so I did stand out

Old 03-25-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpheels View Post
The roofs are one of the things that scares me about buying and rehabing in Baltimore. I know I'm going to take care of my own home, but don't necessarily trust neighbors to do so. There are so many rows of houses that need to come down because one or two have the roof falling in. I would be terrified of one neighbor's neglect causing structural problems for the whole block. I have the same fears about fires...

One idea I've been mulling, but don't know if it's feasible - tear down the rows that obviously need to go (collapsed roof or otherwise not structurally sound), and rather than build new homes, transfer the property to the adjacent row that backs up, so it would create a larger "back yard" for each row house. Attaching a back yard to a row house would hopefully make the property more appealing to people who are on the fence about living in a higher density area. It would also add green space to the city without the cost of maintaining parks. The yards obviously wouldn't be open to the public, but just having open space with grass and trees can make an area more appealing, even if it's only enjoyed from the sidewalk.
I like the idea of extra long lots. It would take an alley closure and lots of legal work. Still, with some effort it would be doable. As for the roof issue: the houses directly next door are the ones you really need to worry about. As I implied in my email, in higher value neighborhoods receivership is a tool that is strong enough to force rehab of long term vacant houses. It really is all about the economics.

By the way, torch down rubber roofing is far superior of older flat roof systems and will cut yearly roof maintenance costs in half, if not less. If it had been around 30 or 40 years ago the city wouldn't have as many vacant houses as it does now.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:30 PM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
I like the idea of extra long lots. It would take an alley closure and lots of legal work. Still, with some effort it would be doable. As for the roof issue: the houses directly next door are the ones you really need to worry about. As I implied in my email, in higher value neighborhoods receivership is a tool that is strong enough to force rehab of long term vacant houses. It really is all about the economics.

By the way, torch down rubber roofing is far superior of older flat roof systems and will cut yearly roof maintenance costs in half, if not less. If it had been around 30 or 40 years ago the city wouldn't have as many vacant houses as it does now.

On a related note.. some residents Patterson Park started petitioning the City and working with their neighbors to have their alley's gated at each end.. Not sure if that now means that put their trash on the front sidewalk or if the City still has a key for emergency access.. but many have made their alleys like promenades or extensions of their yards. Obviously this works best if all the neighbors sign off and all contribute.. I saw a gated alley near Union Square on the Westside so maybe its catching on..... The deeding over of neighboring lots is something that I believe the City is doing.. but not so much in the old rowhouse districts but up in some of the areas where there are single family homes/lots.. You often see homes that are clearly sitting on 'double' lots up there.

. One way to get around all of red tape with getting a city lot is to simply approach the City to "adopt" the lot.. You sign a one page document and it has to be renewed every year.. The cool thing is you put in the sweat equity and you dont have to pay the taxes.. so its just as good as owning it in some instances. The only downside is if the City decides to sell it.. then they can take it back from you with little or no notice.. but if someone is going to build on it I guess that would a good thing.. though you may have to move your garden

Old 03-26-2014, 06:20 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,486,822 times
Why are there so many vacants? What caused it? This has been occurring for a long time. I don't know the history of the city. Was it loss of jobs, drugs, eminent domain? I read that Howard street has been that way since the 1968 riots? Is this true? Thanks in advance

Old 03-26-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choccity View Post
Why are there so many vacants? What caused it? This has been occurring for a long time. I don't know the history of the city. Was it loss of jobs, drugs, eminent domain? I read that Howard street has been that way since the 1968 riots? Is this true? Thanks in advance
There were some vacant houses when I moved to Baltimore in the 80's but there was a huge increase in the 90's and up until about 10 years ago. The number of households dropped by over 17,000 in the 90's, a far larger decrease than any other decade. That 17,000 total decrease is about the number of vacant and unoccupiable houses that Baltimore has right now. Is this a coincidence? Yes, but there is a relationship between the disaster that occurred in Baltimore during the 90's and the number of vacants today.

It is also not well known that the number of households in Baltimore today is pretty close to the number in the 2000 Census. Population loss since 2000 driven mostly by a rapid decrease in household size.

The cause the disaster in the 90's is open to debate. It certainly had to do with the loss of jobs. Drugs, and especially a more violent street drug culture, drove residents out of some neighborhoods. The pull of the suburbs was even stronger than it is today while the return of young people to the city had just started. Eminent domain had no significant effect. The city acquired mostly vacant houses.

Anyway, the number of vacant house has been remarkably stable over the past few years. West Baltimore is still emptying out but there has been some progress elsewhere. By the way, houses enter and leave vacancy status every day. The totals don't change but the addresses do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: