U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 10:28 PM

15 posts, read 18,120 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to rent an apartment in Baltimore in a few months. I want to live in an artsy neighborhood with young people, good nightlife, cafes. I've heard that areas like Mt. Vernon, Canton, Federal Hill, Charles Village, and Fells Point are good neighborhoods. I've probably passed through them before, but I'm not sure which is which. How would I go about checking them out? Where would I park, and would I have to make multiple trips out to see each neighborhood or are they in walking distance of each other? I'm looking for something in the $700-850 range including utilities.

I also don't have a full-time job in line in Baltimore yet, but I'm graduating from college soon and will look for one. Do people in their early 20s who are just starting out and have a less money making degree like a BA in social science get roommates and work lower paying jobs? I don't get how I will find a job that will pay enough for me to get my own place and live in a fun area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 05:16 AM

525 posts, read 595,947 times
Are you going to have a roommate? Because I'm having a hard time getting how you will find something for 700-850 inclusive in any of those areas. Where are you coming from, and what are you studying in social science? Is it possible to get a job before moving?

As far as parking, you're probably parking on the street in all of those places. There are garages around you can pay to park in.

Baltimore is unfortunately car dependent with sub-par public transportation. You will have to drive to travel among the neighborhoods you listed. I guess you could maybe use the Circulator. Anyway, get a map of Baltimore neighborhoods (there may be one stickied on this site), you will see.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:11 AM

556 posts, read 761,732 times
You will definitely need a roommate with that budget. It's pretty normal for people in their 20's to have roommates. If you haven't already, go talk with career services at your university. They can help you with your resume and cover letters, help you search for jobs, and give you an idea of salary expectations. With a social science degree, you have to be able to tell people how your degree will help you do whatever job you're applying for.

You might get lucky with some row houses and have access to a parking pad behind the house. I've also seen landlords offering reserved parking as an add on if they have unused space nearby. Otherwise, you will have to park on the street. Annual resident parking permits are pretty cheap.

Google neighborhoods by name. Google maps will superimpose boundaries for the neighborhood. You can do the same thing on zillow or trulia when looking for rentals. Craigslist is probably the best source for rental listings, and you can search by neighborhood name.

As for looking at the apartments, you won't be able to see all of those neighborhoods in one day. You could do Mt Vernon and Fed Hill on one day, Fells/Canton on another day, and Charles Village a third day. Given your budget and the fact that you will have a car, I think Canton and Fells are probably a better fit.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:15 AM

206 posts, read 402,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenspirit View Post
I don't get how I will find a job that will pay enough for me to get my own place and live in a fun area.
Well you probably won't but maybe you should reexamine your assumptions.

If you're looking to be right in the middle of one of those fun areas so that you can be young and stumble home easily without a car late at night ... well that costs lots of money in rent. If you're willing to live a little further away and struggle with the parking when you get to one of the fun areas or take a cab occasionally, then it's not so pricey. And if you manage to expand your horizons and find the good places to go that aren't in the listed "fun" areas but actually have parking nearby then you can save on both ends.

Part of making that evolution is a matter of becoming more familiar with a city so you're not just seeking fun at the obvious spots. That also goes along with getting older where you're comfortable enough to go other places. It's easiest to spend too much money when you're young and can't see a better way (and don't have much money anyways). Good luck figuring it all out and welcome to Baltimore.

And yeah, get a roommate or get comfortable in a less-name neighborhood. Maybe start with reading this: Baltimanual - Baltimore City Paper

Old 04-25-2014, 10:33 AM

I see everyone's point. Those areas I mentioned are probably out of my price range unless I get a roommate. But I'd really like to live alone. Are there any safe studios or one bedroom apartments a little further away that are in the 700-800 range? I also have to have my car, and want a place where I'd be able to find parking.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpheels View Post
You might get lucky with some row houses and have access to a parking pad behind the house. I've also seen landlords offering reserved parking as an add on if they have unused space nearby. Otherwise, you will have to park on the street. Annual resident parking permits are pretty cheap..
Are rowhouses cheaper than apartments? How do you figure out which ones are available? Are they two separate floors that are each considered apartments that people live in?

Old 04-25-2014, 11:41 AM

934 posts, read 782,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenspirit View Post
Are rowhouses cheaper than apartments? How do you figure out which ones are available? Are they two separate floors that are each considered apartments that people live in?
Rowhouses are only cheaper than apartments if you have a roommate. I am moving to a rowhouse next month and will be paying $850/mo (right in your range), but that is my half of a split between myself and my roommate. That said, sharing a rowhouse with one other person is PLENTY of space and to me well worth it, as a tiny closet-sized studio would actually be far more expensive with less living space.

If you're looking to find a rowhome broken up into apartments, you're likely to find more luck in Mount Vernon than Canton or Fells in that department. Mount Vernon has a lot of rowhomes broken up into apartment blocks. But, you may have to pay more than you're willing to in order to live alone in one of those.

Oh and as far as trying to figure out what's available, craigslist is probably the best place to go. They have an option where it can show you postings in map form, so you can browse by neighborhood. That's how we found our place. If you're not having any luck with that and are interested in a particular neighborhood, go check it out and see if there are any for rent signs in windows and make some calls. I would definitely try craigslist first though.

Last edited by designer_genes; 04-25-2014 at 11:49 AM..

Old 04-25-2014, 05:22 PM

805 posts, read 1,831,758 times
I've seen studios in your price range in bolton hill. Check craigslist.

This looks ok:
BOLTON HILL LARGE EFFICIENCY

Old 04-25-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboltonman View Post
I've seen studios in your price range in bolton hill. Check craigslist.

This looks ok:
BOLTON HILL LARGE EFFICIENCY
That looks like a great place! I have 8000 saved up. I'm wondering how risky it would be to move now as soon as I find something without a job there, and would I even be able to find a job with a ba in psychology that would allow me to make enough to afford a place in the 700-800 range.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:05 PM

556 posts, read 761,732 times
Just another thought... When you are in town looking at apartments, you should plan to park once and walk from viewing to viewing within the same neighborhood. That will save a lot of parking headaches, and give you a chance to see the neighborhood.

Do you have any friends who already live in the city? Students who graduated last year? If so, they can give you lots of feedback. You can also check to see if your college has an alumni group in Baltimore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or