Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 02:11 AM

6 posts, read 17,129 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are a European young couple (28 years olds) living in Paris (France). We recently got a job offer as engineers in Baltimore and we will probably move to Baltimore next year (April, may or June).
We have not begun our research of apartments yet but we would like to know where you can recommended us to live in Maryland State, not too far of Baltimore if possible.
The company will pay our rent but we don’t know how much in the meantime (maybe in one or two months we will know…)
The only thing we want is to find something not too much expensive, a quiet neighbourhood, no crimes and, if possible, not too far from the ocean.
The company said to us that it was possible to rent an apartment in Washington DC also. What do you think? Is it better to live in Baltimore (or suburbs) or in Washington DC? How many time in car from Washington to Baltimore?

Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 05:51 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,448,499 times
The ocean is at least two hours away from either Baltimore or Washington.

If you are looking for waterfront neighborhoods, I do recommend Federal Hill, Fells' Point, and Canton in Baltimore. There's quite a few apartments, condominiums and rowhouses for rent in those areas that have water views. These are also terrific neighborhoods, safe, and with many amenities.

Washington is more international, but far more expensive than Baltimore. You would also have a long commute.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:43 AM

234 posts, read 1,063,065 times
Coming from an expensive city like Paris, you will be cutting your expenditures by half in either Baltimore or DC.....that's the good news. The bad news is that either city will seem like Mayberry (boring) compared to your current home. I'm not much for commuting so would try to find accomidations in Baltimore if I were in your shoes. However, DC is the more cosmopolitan of the two cities. good luck.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:29 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,809,455 times
Default Fells Point, Harbor East

Since your housing allowance will pay for this, I would go for a new apartment in Fells Point or Harbor East. You would live in an area that is walkable, has lots of restaurants and things to do. There won't be any ocean, but a water taxi will stop right below your window.
Now about Washington. It may not be Paris but it is a world-class city. However, commuting for work between the two cities is getting more and more frustrating every day. I would live in Baltimore and go to Washington on weekends.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:04 PM

689 posts, read 3,216,347 times
I agree with Barante -- you would like Fells Point, which has a very European feel (at least the architecture...) and Harbor East is a lot of fun. Interestingly, I live in Pigtown and know quite a few French people who live here.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:56 AM

Default thank you for the information

Thank yo very much for your help!
I've never been in your country and I would like to know how is the current life in the United States, I mean:
- work time,
- cost of living (rental, food, cinema...)
- need of car

What are the things to do in Baltimore (free time) ? Is New York and Philadephia far away ?

Have you ever been in Europe, if yes what are for you the mean differences between you and us?

I'm sorry, I've got lot of questions...

Old 12-13-2007, 08:03 AM

I am from Europe, so I'll try to answer:
-- Americans work harder than Europeans. Vacations lasting up to six weeks a year simply don't exist.
-- Cost of living is cheap in comparison. Particularly clothing is very cheap.
-- Having a car/access to a car is a must. You cannot live a first-class life without one.
Plenty of things to do in Baltimore. The best thing is to google.
New York is three hours away. Philadelphia an hour and a half.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:10 AM

82 posts, read 567,578 times
I have lived in the Baltimore/DC Metro area all my life. I have traveled to Europe, including Paris. As indicate in other posts..neither Baltimore or DC is Paris, bur DC is by a far a superior city when compared to Baltimore. DC is similar to Paris in one aspect… it is a low lying city (meaning buildings are not taller than 13 stories. There are no sky scrapers like in NYC. DC is way more international than B’more and has way more going on (food, shopping, nightlife, etc). In B’more you’ll find a lot of Marylanders, ordinary people who have lived in the immediate Maryland area most of their lives, you hard working blue collar types. Baltimore is cheaper, but most people have realized you get what you pay for and you are not getting much in B’more. Baltimore just does not have the vibrancy, the streets are mostly lonesome and quiet..the harbor is full of tourist and crowded when the Orioles play. The population in B’more has been on the decline, it may have level out now, but is has suffered. The population of DC has been on the rise and major development continues. Baltimore has serious crime issues, as does DC, but most reports show on a per capita basis, Baltimore is more dangerous. DC is one of the country’s top 10 cities, ( NYC, Chicago, LA, San Fran, DC, Miami, Boston) Baltimore is more of a second/third tier city, a city that was built around the shipping industry in the early 1900s and has never found its footings since that industry declined. DC has world class public transportation and the metro, Baltimore has the light rail which is sub par, very ineffective and ineffecient..thats why most Baltimorians drive.

Last edited by DC resident; 12-13-2007 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: terminology

Old 12-13-2007, 12:33 PM

Hi, I think you've got a romantic idea of Paris and it's true... when you're a turist and you have lot of time to hang about !!! The really way of life in Paris is working, sometimes going to a restaurant, sport, and living in a little appartment very expensive and looking for a bigger one but impossible to find out, so many people goes away and live in the suburbs... I love Paris, but it is so much big for having a "normal" life : one hour in metro for visiting your best friend, lots of people while shopping, no way to buy a house cause not payed enough...
I think that living in DC might be more international and more interesting but I do agree that commuting is hard to do and I don't like driving (little accident when younger).
How many time in rush hours for driving from DC to Baltimore ? Is there another town near DC or Baltimore interesting to live in ? someone told me about Annapolis.... but I don't known at all
What about crime ? I'm sorry, but the european people have an idea of the USA made in medias (TV...) and it scares me
thank you again

Old 12-13-2007, 12:55 PM

Default Focus on Baltimore

ElenaenParis -- If you will be working in Baltimore, I strongly urge you to live here. Forget about commuting from and to Washington, it will drive you crazy. Forget about Annapolis. Getting from there to Baltimore may be a bit easier but the traffic to Washington is hair-raising.
I would think that your housing allowance would get you a very nice, large apartment in Baltimore, where rents are far more reasonable than in Washington. It's your life, but I would focus squarely on Baltimore. The less time you spend in mindless commuting, the happier you will be.
Baltimore is a great city. And you can go to Washington when you don't have to worry about being in point A at a given time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore