Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2014, 08:25 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,474,807 times

Advertisements

I apologize if this has already been posted on these forums, the link below points to some interesting ideas for the city's central corridor. Much of this would take years if not decades to implement, but I think transforming York Rd would be good for the entire city. I'm still confused as to how York Rd's narrow streets can be made compatible with proposed bike lanes, expanded transit, and increased pedestrian traffic. I particular like the reuse of the Staples location as a mixed-use site that also serves as a new Northern Baltimore transit hub. If they could also add an express light rail shuttle bus running every 7-10 (synced with light rail schedule thereby eliminating station wait times) from that location that could potentially increase light rail utilization substantially, as the only current option is the #58, which mostly only runs once an hour and often off schedule due to it's very long route.

What would you add or subtract from the report?

http://baltimore.uli.org/wp-content/...TAP_Report.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 06:20 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,511,287 times
I agree with picardlx that transforming the York Road Corridor (and also Greenmount) will be difficult. There aren't any alternate streets - so there is nothing that can be done about the traffic pressure. I think the report makes a good start by proposing some nodes of community oriented businesses. Personally, I would go further, I think the city should look for opportunities to acquire property on the smaller side streets for commercial development. Good opportunities to do this will be few and far between, but making the area less of a strip can only help.

The basic problem with the suburban sections of Baltimore is that the suburbs is in the counties will always be better suburbs. Where the City can compete is by working hard to create the kind of walkable neighborhoods that a huge percentage of young people and others request in housing preference surveys.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:33 AM

8,238 posts, read 13,357,122 times
Here is where I believe the City has its priorities backwards... They should be investing in areas that need a little "boost" instead of so heavily in places like Harbor East. Dont get me wrong, I love Harbor East.. but its nice to take people to some of the neighborhood commercial areas like Lauraville, Alonsoville, Hampden, Belverdere. It would be nice to add Waverly, Washington Village (Pigtown), West Baltimore Street, East Monument, and others to the list.. The City could help facilitate that to some degree in how it allocates its "incentives" and related infrastructure money. I know the politics drives who gets what and there is way more political capital in Harbor East and Downtown than in the little mom and pop places like some of the neighborhood main streets.. However; the neighborhood main streets can make or break the neighborhoods in which they serve. Some times its chicken or egg though... Lauraville and Hamilton help shape their commerical districts into being attractive local destinations. The reverse is often harder to achieve as in the case of Waverly.. Some of the neighborhoods to the east are challenged while the west are up and coming which is why there is such a wide range of business types in Waverly.. both good and bad. Solid commercial areas could fuel the redevelopment of the area around them because they become areas that people want to live near especially if they are safe, attractive, walkable, and provide needed goods and services.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:42 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,474,807 times
FYI

Meeting tonight June 26th at 6:30p. The Junior League of Baltimore 5902 York Rd (next to Senator Theatre).

Old 07-14-2014, 01:01 PM

8,238 posts, read 13,357,122 times
Default More Development in NoBo..like it or not...

Developer proposes 29 row homes in Hampden - baltimoresun.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: