Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 12:06 PM

4 posts, read 11,020 times

Advertisements

Greetings! I am giving some thought to moving to Baltimore, but I am wondering about living there without a car. Can you recommend a safe, walkable neighborhood where it might be possible to live well without a car? This could include any neighborhood in Baltimore City, or Towson.

Thank you!

A Bostonian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 12:29 PM

102 posts, read 178,665 times
Canton and Mount Vernon naturally come to mind. Other suggestions will follow I'm sure...

http://www.walkscore.com/MD/Baltimore

Old 06-18-2014, 12:38 PM

219 posts, read 405,962 times
I'd add in Federal Hill, downtown, Harbor East, Little Italy, and Fells Point too. You can definately live in Baltimore car free (I do) but it's a lot easier if you get a zip car membership for your irregular trips. Not to mention Uber is still super cheap here for when you're going out. Mass transit exists but it's going to be underwhelming to you since you're coming from Boston (except for the MARC into DC... its a cheap, fun way to get a weekend escape).

All in all the city isn't nearly as nice as Boston, but our winters are waaaayyyy better, it's much more affordable, and the city is definitely on an upswing. Welcome to Baltimore!

Old 06-18-2014, 01:27 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,335 times
Welcome kdcatlover! I was born and raised in Beantown and recommend anywhere on the lightrail, north of the Inner Harbor. It's just like the Green Line, but cheaper....weird "honor system" here when it comes to riding. In regards to comparisons to Boston, I feel it's a better city, simply because it's way more affordable! Buy if and when you are ready.

City neighborhoods to consider? The usual: Hampden, Remington, Mt Vernon....North Baltimore.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:41 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,475,158 times
Midtown Belvedere hands down. You're a six minute walk to Amtrak/Marc, lightrail, MTA 3, 11, 21, 64, Charm City Circulator; 10 minute walk to Baltimore metro subway. I lived the car-free life there for two great years.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:52 PM

Thank you! This is so helpful! Would Towson also be a good place to live without a car?

Old 06-18-2014, 03:17 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,475,158 times
Generally, I would say you cannot live in a suburb without a car. However, if you really like to walk and live near the Towson Town Center, then I would say yes -- you can live there without a car. You still have MTA 8, 11, 48 and the Lutherville lightrail stop to get you to the city. You have the the MTA 3 and 55 to swing you by to Walmart/Target -- although these are walkable from Towson Town Center; You can walk to Safeway or Trader Joes for groceries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltplanner View Post
All in all the city isn't nearly as nice as Boston, but our winters are waaaayyyy better
I would have to disagree with this statement, as I don't see how winter without the frigid temperatures necessary to make snowmen is way better.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:59 PM

556 posts, read 946,603 times
I live on the Mt Vernon/Downtown boarder without a car, and get along fine. I've only used zipcar twice, both for trips to Ikea. Otherwise, I walk and use the circulator for errands, use the subway to get to/from school in East Baltimore, and use cabs a couple of times a month to get home late at night (only when I can't get a ride from a friend).

Old 06-18-2014, 05:01 PM

Hi mpheels! I am hearing wonderful things about Mount Vernon. Do you have any problems getting to a grocery store? Do you feel safe?

Thanks,
Kate

Old 06-18-2014, 05:04 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdcatlover View Post
Thank you! This is so helpful! Would Towson also be a good place to live without a car?
If you were a student at Towson University, yeah. Anyone else might feel trapped. York Rd has it's limits!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: