Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 02:03 PM

52 posts, read 108,863 times

Advertisements

Baltimore is nowhere close to becoming Detroit. Michigan as a whole doesn't exactly have a stellar economic outlook right now. The entire state is in decline. On the other hand, Baltimore is the largest city in the wealthiest state, and one of the most educated states in the US. This means there is a lot of wealth in and around Baltimore, which will prevent this from happening. Granted a lot of that wealth is also in the parts of MD surrounding DC, but there is still some very affluent areas in the city and county of Baltimore, and that doesn't seem to be changing anytime soon judging by the housing market in the Baltimore area. There are many more city that are in jeopardy of becoming Detroit way, way before that happens in Baltimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 11:39 AM

91 posts, read 163,802 times
There is a number of cities on the verge of being the next Detroit. Cleveland, St Louis, Memphis, the list could go on and on. As other posters mentioned, the proximity to DC really helps Baltimore. There are just a lot of federal jobs that the city is going to be alright.

There are dozens of cities closer to being the next Detroit than Baltimore.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:07 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,446,169 times
Johns Hopkins hospitals and university employ ~55K. Under Armor and the port do pretty well too.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:24 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,729,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaMarylandPers View Post
Baltimore isn't the best city in terms of poverty, but I would that I don't think its like Detroit at all. All major cities have urban decay somewhere. The Inner Harbor is amazing. I haven't ever been to Cincinnati yet. And besides the Harbor, there's lots of stuff do in the suburbs of Baltimore. You have to remember the suburbs of large cities, not only its proper self, are a major part of them too. In Glen Burnie, you have the Baltimore & Annapolis biking trail which is great. And in Hanover, you have the mega Arundel Mills Mall. Baltimore's airport (BWI) is also one of the country's most notable. So in my opinion, Baltimore has more amenities than you think. Baltimore is also home to some of the country's best colleges. Its also a major seaport of the US. Cost of living in the Baltimore area can range from affordable to very expensive it depends where though. Some parts of Howard County are suburbs of Baltimore, and its very expensive to live there. However, I hear the a lot of places in Baltimore County are affordable, and Glen Burnie, Linthicum, and Hanover are also more affordable suburbs than the others.
I love Baltimore, but come on. A bike trail, a mall and the airport? You gotta do better than that .

For its size, Baltimore is lacking in attractions IMO. I think that has more to do with DC being so close than anything. If it were not for DC, Baltimore would probably have a better zoo, a newer arena with NHL and or NBA teams, a nicer union station (penn station, whatever), higher quality museums, its own amusement park etc etc.

But the few things that Baltimore does have they do them pretty well. The ballpark was the first and still one of the best retro parks, the aquarium is one of the largest in the country, the inner harbor is very nice and is expanding to other areas along the water making it more than just a tourist destination, it's being used by residents now as well. The B&O museum, science museum etc are nice. Speaking of the Inner Harbor, hopefully they can implement Inner Harbor 2.0 soon. An upgrade and a pedestrian Bridge connecting Harbor East to Federal Hill would be pretty awesome.

And while Baltimore still has many very high crime areas, the city is seeing some pretty amazing re-investment too. There is more going on (residential construction etc) in urban Baltimore than many midwest cities like KC, StL and possibly Cincy. Downtown alone has several highrises breaking ground including a 44 story luxury apartment tower. Companies are building new towers, hotels are being built and gentrification is quickly expanding beyond the safe zones of Federal Hill and Fells Point.

The red line east/west light rail line should begin construction soon and that should also trigger more investment.

Baltimore is about to take off. The city may be where DC was a decade ago. I don't expect Baltimore to have DC type urban growth, but I do think you will see massive redevelopment move through many parts of the city.

And what the city lacks in amenities, it makes up for it in location. Close to EVERYTHING. Beaches, mountains, DC, Philly, Annapolis, Bay, Ocean City many major theme parks, state parks, historic sites etc. The city is well connected with a major Southwest hub at BWI, amtrak, acela and marc to other NE corridor destinations and even a cruise ship port.

Baltimore is doing okay and getting better every year.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:22 PM

580 posts, read 773,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpark View Post
Johns Hopkins hospitals and university employ ~55K. Under Armor and the port do pretty well too.
FWIW, FoMoCo (Ford Motor Company) has 180K employees, $150 billion in revenue and $7 billion in income last year.

Detroit maybe in the crapper, but a lot of Michigan has been recovering nicely.

FWIW2 to the above poster bragging about BWI...you have never been to DTW. Granted, it's a Delta hub, but it's the terminal used in all the Delta commercials, and one of the most modern US airports. Blows BWI out of the water in regards to nonstop flight availability and amenities.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:26 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,729,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeable View Post
FWIW, FoMoCo (Ford Motor Company) has 180K employees, $150 billion in revenue and $7 billion in income last year.

FWIW2 to the above poster bragging about BWI...you have never been to DTW. Granted, it's a Delta hub, but it's the terminal used in all the Delta commercials, and one of the most modern US airports. Blows BWI out of the water in regards to nonstop flight availability and amenities.
Yea, Detroit has a very nice airport, been there a few times. The people mover there is pretty cool. For the record, I never said anything negative about Detroit. I think it will eventually see a nice comeback, it just may take a while. When Detroit does come back, it will be incredible though because it will have a near clean slate with a lot of close in land to work with.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:47 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,055,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeable View Post

You forgot to mention the numbers of employees and the revenue of the other corporations headquartered in the Detroit area, including General Motors. The Detroit area has seven Fortune 500 companies headquartered there. The Baltimore area has zero.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:49 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,430,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolas70degrees View Post
There is a number of cities on the verge of being the next Detroit. Cleveland, St Louis, Memphis, the list could go on and on. As other posters mentioned, the proximity to DC really helps Baltimore. There are just a lot of federal jobs that the city is going to be alright.

There are dozens of cities closer to being the next Detroit than Baltimore.
Those are all a good list of cities I would def not move to.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:56 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,076,032 times
I believe when people compare Detroit to Baltimore it's more so of the blight issue. And yes I would put Baltimore and Detroit in the same neighborhood for crime, blight, Vacancies, lack of diversity.. But I think Baltimore economically is not as bad a Detroit. But let's not pretend Baltimore is in good standing because it has sports teams and a railroad.. We know it has issues, especially gentrification issues.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:25 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,430,221 times
Baltimore and Philly do seem to have a lot of crime more violent crime than compared to Boston I did notice just living on the East Coast. If you are not involved in the drug trade and mind your business and have some street smarts you should be good in any US City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore