Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 08:16 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Reply to Yamota:

Paul took his road to Damascus and won God's
forgiveness. Ray Lewis took the road to two
Super Bowl championships and won eternal fan
appreciation. I also believe God forgave him too.

Why can't you?

Good Point Feck.. in fact since that incident.. Ray Lewis has (atleast publicly) been a model player/person, MVP, and now is imortalized at the entrance of M&T.. Ray Rice on the other hand (atleast in public) has always come off as a model player/person doing a variety of things in the community and had a very good public persona up until this incident. That said, he will have to do some work to regain the love of the public.. though his first priority should be to his wife, friends, and family by repairing those relationships...

Ray Lewis is on his way to Baltimore to consult Rice.. I am sure he is planning to help advise him on how to repair his public image along with some private words of advice.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 08:33 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
I like the decision by the Ravens to cut ties with him (though it should have happened sooner). I don't know that I like the decision to suspend him from football indefinitely. It seems sort of knee jerk in order to appease the outraged public and allow the league to save some face. At the core of the issue is a relationship that, at least from the outside, appears to be very unhealthy. Domestic abuse like this is hardly ever an isolated incident. I question how the suspension from the league does anything to help the dangerous situation that exists between the Rices? I don't know Ray and I have no idea what would cause him to act violently towards his wife. However, I do think the league would look a whole lot better if instead of suspending him indefinitely, they suspended him while mandating that he speak to mental health professionals and attend therapy in order to get a better idea of where the violence stems from and how or if it can be fixed. Once he's proven he's taken steps to improve in that area, lift the suspension. Make it be known that even a slight hiccup in progress or any regression will end in his permanent expulsion from the league.

I know the stance on domestic abuse is that there is no excuse and there are no second chances. I wholeheartedly agree. However, I don't see how simply firing an abusive husband and saying he can't work in that field again is a fix for anybody but the angry fans and a league that's trying to dig itself out of a big hole. It certainly doesn't benefit the Rice family in any way. You want to punish Ray, but kicking him out of the leage also hurts Janay. I'd like to see something that actually attempts to help better the situation for the Rices.

*edit*
I'm a Pats fan, so rooting for a team that employed a player who does horrific things to other people off the field is sort of old hat for me.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:14 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choccity View Post
I think he and football are done!
His wife is still with him and she has stated that she will support him despite the backlash from the media and people in general.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:27 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,486,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I like the decision by the Ravens to cut ties with him (though it should have happened sooner). I don't know that I like the decision to suspend him from football indefinitely. It seems sort of knee jerk in order to appease the outraged public and allow the league to save some face. At the core of the issue is a relationship that, at least from the outside, appears to be very unhealthy. Domestic abuse like this is hardly ever an isolated incident. I question how the suspension from the league does anything to help the dangerous situation that exists between the Rices? I don't know Ray and I have no idea what would cause him to act violently towards his wife. However, I do think the league would look a whole lot better if instead of suspending him indefinitely, they suspended him while mandating that he speak to mental health professionals and attend therapy in order to get a better idea of where the violence stems from and how or if it can be fixed. Once he's proven he's taken steps to improve in that area, lift the suspension. Make it be known that even a slight hiccup in progress or any regression will end in his permanent expulsion from the league.

I know the stance on domestic abuse is that there is no excuse and there are no second chances. I wholeheartedly agree. However, I don't see how simply firing an abusive husband and saying he can't work in that field again is a fix for anybody but the angry fans and a league that's trying to dig itself out of a big hole. It certainly doesn't benefit the Rice family in any way. You want to punish Ray, but kicking him out of the leage also hurts Janay. I'd like to see something that actually attempts to help better the situation for the Rices.

*edit*
I'm a Pats fan, so rooting for a team that employed a player who does horrific things to other people off the field is sort of old hat for me.
This is the best I've read about this incident. Good insight.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:05 PM

759 posts, read 1,356,024 times
I am disgusted with Ray Rice.
I am disgusted with the Baltimore Ravens.
I am disgusted with Roger Goodell and the NFL.
I am disgusted with the law enforcement authorities in Atlantic City, both local and in house security.
Had the perpetrator of this violent assault and battery been any one other than a celebrity, he would still be held under the jail, and rightfully so.
From the time we were young boys, we were taught that men do not hit women! Not under any circumstances, no matter how mad they may make us! We are bigger, stronger, faster and heavier and faster than they are.

I have no doubt that the Ravens and the NFL both knew of the existence of the second half of the "knock-out" portion of the video, and deliberately sat on it until their hands were forced-they would have been happy to have quelched it otherwise.
This is the 21st Century-violence against women has no place in our society!

Old 09-10-2014, 01:18 PM

934 posts, read 1,061,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
I am disgusted with the law enforcement authorities in Atlantic City, both local and in house security.
Had the perpetrator of this violent assault and battery been any one other than a celebrity, he would still be held under the jail, and rightfully so.
From the time we were young boys, we were taught that men do not hit women! Not under any circumstances, no matter how mad they may make us! We are bigger, stronger, faster and heavier and faster than they are.

I have no doubt that the Ravens and the NFL both knew of the existence of the second half of the "knock-out" portion of the video, and deliberately sat on it until their hands were forced-they would have been happy to have quelched it otherwise.
Amen.

I would even expand that to say that from the time we are young kids, we are taught not to use violence to solve our problems, regardless of gender. Yet, society sends us mixed messages by glorifying violence and violent offenders often go unpunished.

This is easily the biggest reason why I have trouble getting into football as a sport. To me, its culture is part of the problem. It is not a surprise to me at all that you see these patterns in football more than in any other (major) sport - because it's a sport that condones violence.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:07 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,686,650 times
WHEN CONDI RICE IS THE NFL COMMISSIONER DO NOT COMPLAIN. WHEN N.O.W. IS RUNNING THE NFL DO NOT COMPLAIN. BTW - There are about 2000 players (including practice team) in the NFL. If there are 50 incidents of domestic violence that's 2.5% of the NFL. Not systemic like N.O.W. wants you to believe so that they can insert a female and their agenda to run the NFL. American's or so mis-informed. And I do not label a fist fight between to parties who happen to be of the opposite sex and in some kind of relationship as domestic violence. It's a fight. People of all genders should keep their hands to themselves. PERIOD.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post

WHEN CONDI RICE IS THE NFL COMMISSIONER DO NOT COMPLAIN. WHEN N.O.W. IS RUNNING THE NFL DO NOT COMPLAIN. BTW - There are about 2000 players (including practice team) in the NFL. If there are 50 incidents of domestic violence that's 2.5% of the NFL. Not systemic like N.O.W. wants you to believe so that they can insert a female and their agenda to run the NFL. American's or so mis-informed. And I do not label a fist fight between to parties who happen to be of the opposite sex and in some kind of relationship as domestic violence. It's a fight. People of all genders should keep their hands to themselves. PERIOD.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:49 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,473,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
If there are 50 incidents of domestic violence that's 2.5% of the NFL.
Do you really believe that? Your're not accounting for any under-reporting.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
Do you really believe that? Your're not accounting for any under-reporting.
I do. If I take the # of cases reported and double, triple, etc... to account for "under-reporting" 50 is a respectable number. How do you estimate under-reporting? At least I am being logical and not emotionally based, which is what the under-reporting assumption is.

I also know that there are volatile relationships where hitting occurs. Where people are violent. Chad Johnson for example was tied to foul violent women, who was actually on TV assautling people. But shes a domestic violence victim. America is crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore