Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 07:40 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,381,009 times

Advertisements

*Interesting article. Before I comment, I'd like to her your views . Enjoy!

Immigrant city [Editorial]

Our view: Mayor's effort to attract non-natives to Baltimore deserves residents' support

[LEFT]
Read more: Baltimore efforts to boost immigration - baltimoresun.com

12:08 p.m. EDT, September 18, 2014

Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake's report on strategies to attract immigrants to Baltimore offers dozens of recommendations, but for those who are not immigrants or connected to the immigrant community, it may raise two big questions. First, at a time when the national debate about immigration policy focuses on what to do about those who entered the country illegally, the report makes no distinction whatsoever between immigrants who are citizens, those who are legal aliens or those who have no documentation at all. Is that in our best interests? And second, given that the existing population of Baltimore has challenges enough of its own, why should the city be devoting resources to helping those who don't even live here yet?
The answer to the first question is that what Baltimore stands to gain from an influx of immigrants does not much depend on their legal status. Ms. Rawlings-Blake has set a goal of attracting 10,000 new families to the city over the next decade, and in terms of securing Baltimore's future vibrancy, there can be no greater ambition. More people means a more vibrant economy, fewer vacant houses and greater investment that would have spill-over effects on crime, education and any number of other challenges Baltimore faces.
Immigrants are a natural place to look for population growth, both because the city's historical identity as a landing place for those from other countries and because the number of immigrants here has been on the upswing in recent years. After hitting a low of 23,467 in the 1990 Census, the number of foreign born city residents jumped back to more than 44,000 in 2010 — and that's only about half of what it once was. Baltimore's immigrants are predominantly from Latin America, but the city also has substantial Asian and African populations.

[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 08:01 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,448,105 times
I have mixed feelings on the topic of current immigration in the US. Both sides of my family are 20thC European immigrants, legal entry. I have lived in SoCal and AZ and basically like the catholic, family centered Hispanic culture (worked with and lived near).

I agree that increasing Baltimore's population is probably a good thing. But a secure border and competition for jobs are necessary for our nation to thrive. Undocumented workers take the service sector and construction jobs once held by native lower class folks; businesses use these workers to depress wages. There is a lot of debate about H1B visas displacing qualified US workers. I'm not use what the best road forward is here.

Another thing that has always bothered me about modern immigration is that thru the bulk of the 20thC, immigrants strived to learn and use English, to join the nation's culture. It appears today that immigrants are less likely to do that. I don't mind learning Spanish etc, but I have bore witness too many times to folks claiming "no habla Englese" to get out of legitimate situations (only to discover later that yes, English is known).

Basically, I just want to see immigration work well for the US, have secure borders and an improving economy.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:18 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,216,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpark View Post
a secure border and competition for jobs are necessary for our nation to thrive. Undocumented workers take the service sector and construction jobs once held by native lower class folks; businesses use these workers to depress wages.

Another thing that has always bothered me about modern immigration is that thru the bulk of the 20thC, immigrants strived to learn and use English, to join the nation's culture. It appears today that immigrants are less likely to do that. I don't mind learning Spanish etc, but I have bore witness too many times to folks claiming "no habla Englese" to get out of legitimate situations (only to discover later that yes, English is known).
Bingo!

Old 09-22-2014, 12:59 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,448,105 times
An argument for increasing immigration is that the US native born birthrate is declining, which will impact future tax and SS revenues. No good budgetary answer there...

Old 09-22-2014, 03:05 PM

3,401 posts, read 1,232,207 times
This is a bad idea for Baltimore.

It's not likely many of these immigrants will be able to find jobs, and if they do, they will almost certainly be lower-class jobs. Case in point: A dishwasher where I work was recently deported, and I have strong reason to believe at least 3 or 4 of the other kitchen workers are not in the country legally. The hard-working citizens of Baltimore will end up having to pay the bill for their welfare.

Baltimore does have a problem with abandoned neighborhoods, but this is not the way to fix that. Many of the older abandoned neighborhoods should be torn down and converted into parks or other public land.

The best way to get more people into the city is to make it more desirable to them. While Baltimore does have some nice neighborhoods like Fells Pt., Canton, and Mt. Vernon a lot of people only think of Baltimore as "The Wire".

Baltimore does have a lot going for it, but trying to attract lower income residents is not the way to go. While some of the immigrants may be well off, that only represents a small percentage. Most will be very poor and likely with kids to support.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:02 PM

Good points!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpark View Post
I have mixed feelings on the topic of current immigration in the US. Both sides of my family are 20thC European immigrants, legal entry. I have lived in SoCal and AZ and basically like the catholic, family centered Hispanic culture (worked with and lived near).

I agree that increasing Baltimore's population is probably a good thing. But a secure border and competition for jobs are necessary for our nation to thrive. Undocumented workers take the service sector and construction jobs once held by native lower class folks; businesses use these workers to depress wages. There is a lot of debate about H1B visas displacing qualified US workers. I'm not use what the best road forward is here.

Basically, I just want to see immigration work well for the US, have secure borders and an improving economy.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:04 PM

You have very legitimate concerns.

quote=Arianator;36597817]This is a bad idea for Baltimore.

It's not likely many of these immigrants will be able to find jobs, and if they do, they will almost certainly be lower-class jobs. Case in point: A dishwasher where I work was recently deported, and I have strong reason to believe at least 3 or 4 of the other kitchen workers are not in the country legally. The hard-working citizens of Baltimore will end up having to pay the bill for their welfare.

Baltimore does have a problem with abandoned neighborhoods, but this is not the way to fix that. Many of the older abandoned neighborhoods should be torn down and converted into parks or other public land.

The best way to get more people into the city is to make it more desirable to them. While Baltimore does have some nice neighborhoods like Fells Pt., Canton, and Mt. Vernon a lot of people only think of Baltimore as "The Wire".

Baltimore does have a lot going for it, but trying to attract lower income residents is not the way to go. While some of the immigrants may be well off, that only represents a small percentage. Most will be very poor and likely with kids to support.[/quote]

Old 09-22-2014, 09:11 PM

8,631 posts, read 12,943,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
You have very legitimate concerns.

quote=Arianator;36597817]This is a bad idea for Baltimore.

Baltimore does have a lot going for it, but trying to attract lower income residents is not the way to go. While some of the immigrants may be well off, that only represents a small percentage. Most will be very poor and likely with kids to support.
[/quote]
How is the entire Baltimore MSA doing when it comes to attracting immigrants?

Old 09-26-2014, 04:16 AM

No further comments on this important post??!

Old 09-26-2014, 07:16 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,479,942 times
Baltimore has such specific problems that need to be addressed first, crime, schools, vacants, no stores/shops etc. There is always a 'new' idea that is going to save the city. Why not 'save' the city as it is and stop infusioning things that don't work. No one is coming here if the schools are mediocre and the crime is out of control. Clean house first. This is not going to work overnight. The city is not prepared for 10k new families. What is being done by this administration to make Baltimore more desirable to bring ANYONE here to live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: