Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 06:11 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,563,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Weirder than LA, New York, Portland, San Francisco, Oakland, New Orleans, Santa Cruz, Austin, Savannah, etc.? It's weirder than Philly or DC I'll give it that, but it's got some competition from the aforementioned cities on that factor.
I'll agree that those cities give Baltimore a run for it's money but Baltimore is just flatout different. It's very urban and gritty but country at the same time. I don't think any other city is like that and that accent.... wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 06:33 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,418,263 times
"It's very urban and gritty but country at the same time. "

"Baltimore is a ghetto over a country town" - Carl Rhodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
I'll agree that those cities give Baltimore a run for it's money but Baltimore is just flatout different. It's very urban and gritty but country at the same time. I don't think any other city is like that and that accent.... wow.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:38 PM

When people say Baltimore is weird! What do they mean by this?

Old 11-09-2014, 06:39 PM

Trending up in popularity due to The Wire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvmdmd View Post
I'm not sure chic is the word I would use, but it's definitely trending up in popularity lately

Old 11-10-2014, 12:23 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,206,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
Definitely agree with you on that no doubt.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:39 PM

478 posts, read 809,276 times
I don't agree w people who call DC sterile or boring, and I don't even particularly like DC (personally). First of all, there are many different parts of the city that do not have that glorified shopping-mall character of parts of Georgetown and NW. There actually are multiple strong local communities and have been for years, it's just that transplants may not be aware of or exposed to them. Secondly, DC's status as the political meeting place for the nation is unique. There is no other city even close. It has countless people from literally all over the nation and world working there with a vast array of groups, agencies, etc etc. To call that 'boring' shows a lack of curiosity more than anything else IMO.

Regarding Baltimore and its weirdness/uniqueness. I think that this aspect of the city is often exaggerated. I mean of course every city has local icons etc as does Baltimore. The arguments touted for weirdness though: hipsters, funny accent, fixation on a particular crustacean are kinda thin IMO. John Waters and his work is certainly weird I'll grant you, but come on, LA and NY have also produced plenty of weird-as-hell movie makers too. I think of Baltimore, fundamentally, as more in line w cities like Pittsburgh, Cleveland, possibly Cincinnatti, Charleston WV, maybe Philly (although I think Philly is a stretch). Definitely urban, but with shared economy and history involving steel, blue-collar work, shipping & transit of goods, recently reinvented to a more Eds & Meds type economy, heavy focus on sports in social events, comfort food more than international/ethnic foods etc. It's just honestly not that different from these others (which also have plenty of hipsters and, in some cases, crime). There's really nothing 'chic' about any of this stuff-the presence of a couple pockets of white yuppies does not a 'chic' city make.

Truly weird/unique places in USA (IMO, and understood as dramatically different from any other parts of the country):

-New Orleans, LA
-Las Vegas, NV
-any cities/towns in Hawaii or Alaska
-SF Bay area
-Salt Lake City
-NYC
-Miami/south Florida
-Boston up through New England coast (esp rural Maine)
-Washington DC

Places like Boulder, Austin, Portland are lovely cities, but fall too closely into the hipster mold, as opposed to a definite historic local culture, to really quality as "unique" in the way that these above do. I don't necessarily intend to start a debate about this because such a list is so inherently subjective, but it's at least another perspective on what constitutes a "unique" city.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:22 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktaadin View Post
Regarding Baltimore and its weirdness/uniqueness. I think that this aspect of the city is often exaggerated. I mean of course every city has local icons etc as does Baltimore. The arguments touted for weirdness though: hipsters, funny accent, fixation on a particular crustacean are kinda thin IMO. John Waters and his work is certainly weird I'll grant you, but come on, LA and NY have also produced plenty of weird-as-hell movie makers too. I think of Baltimore, fundamentally, as more in line w cities like Pittsburgh, Cleveland, possibly Cincinnatti, Charleston WV, maybe Philly (although I think Philly is a stretch). Definitely urban, but with shared economy and history involving steel, blue-collar work, shipping & transit of goods, recently reinvented to a more Eds & Meds type economy, heavy focus on sports in social events, comfort food more than international/ethnic foods etc. It's just honestly not that different from these others (which also have plenty of hipsters and, in some cases, crime). There's really nothing 'chic' about any of this stuff-the presence of a couple pockets of white yuppies does not a 'chic' city make.
I'm also having a hard time identifying that 'quirky Baltimore'. I understand 'Hon culture' is the highlight of the quirkiness, along with John Waters. I don't find either of that quirky. It just seems like anything else produced in Hollywood at that time.

I do find it more quirky that those are the two things that defines Baltimore as quirky though.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'm also having a hard time identifying that 'quirky Baltimore'. I understand 'Hon culture' is the highlight of the quirkiness, along with John Waters. I don't find either of that quirky. It just seems like anything else produced in Hollywood at that time.

I do find it more quirky that those are the two things that defines Baltimore as quirky though.
Could be the random weirdness. New York is practically known for it and I've definitely encountered it in DC as well, but Baltimore seems to do a pretty good job in projecting random weirdness East Coast-style.

Last edited by tcave360; 11-11-2014 at 02:17 AM..

Old 11-11-2014, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktaadin View Post
I don't agree w people who call DC sterile or boring, and I don't even particularly like DC (personally). First of all, there are many different parts of the city that do not have that glorified shopping-mall character of parts of Georgetown and NW. There actually are multiple strong local communities and have been for years, it's just that transplants may not be aware of or exposed to them. Secondly, DC's status as the political meeting place for the nation is unique. There is no other city even close. It has countless people from literally all over the nation and world working there with a vast array of groups, agencies, etc etc. To call that 'boring' shows a lack of curiosity more than anything else IMO.

Truly weird/unique places in USA (IMO, and understood as dramatically different from any other parts of the country):

-New Orleans, LA
-Las Vegas, NV
-any cities/towns in Hawaii or Alaska
-SF Bay area
-Salt Lake City
-NYC
-Miami/south Florida
-Boston up through New England coast (esp rural Maine)
-Washington DC

Places like Boulder, Austin, Portland are lovely cities, but fall too closely into the hipster mold, as opposed to a definite historic local culture, to really quality as "unique" in the way that these above do. I don't necessarily intend to start a debate about this because such a list is so inherently subjective, but it's at least another perspective on what constitutes a "unique" city.
Agreed. But I wouldn't call all of Midcity and Uptown DC (NW) to be of a shopping mall character. The U Street, LeDroit Park, Truxton Circle, Shaw, Columbia Heights (even with DC USA which looks nice btw), Park View, Petworth, Logan Circle, Takoma, 16th Street Heights, Woodley Park, etc., etc. But I do see your point nonetheless. Parts of G-Town, Dupont Circle, and Friendship Heights do seem kinda shopping mall-esque in a way.

As for that Florida pick, how about ALL of Florida? Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore