Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2014, 11:41 AM

5 posts, read 9,893 times

Advertisements

Hello all! My husband and I are young professionals in our thirties, no kids yet, who are moving to Baltimore. We know very little about the city and will be on a tight schedule. We will have three days to find an apartment to live with no help from a realtor so I am hoping you have neighborhood/complex suggestions.

I am working downtown near the Meyerhoff Symphony Center (which I think is in Mt Vernon). He is working near Loyola University Maryland. We are looking for a 1-bdr somewhere around $1k in a safe, walkable area with secured parking (willing to pay). I know that's a lot to ask for, but I am recovering from PTSD from a violent robbery some years back... but we're also not willing to pack up and move to the suburbs, I want to move on with my life and enjoy things while I am still young.

We are hoping for commutes under 15 minutes, but we know that might not be possible.

Thank you for helping! Looking forward to walking the inner harbor, going to orioles games, etc.

We live in Orlando, FL now so the weather will be a change.

Last edited by marysella; 11-10-2014 at 12:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 12:37 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marysella View Post
I am working downtown near the Meyerhoff....
He is working near Loyola University Maryland.

We are looking for a 1-bdr somewhere around $1k...
We will have three days...
Find a sublet or extended stay instead (even in the 'burbs).
Take the time needed to find your niche.
Attached Thumbnails
Safe/good places to live between Mt Vernon & Loyola (PTSD)?-loymey.jpg  

Old 11-10-2014, 06:58 PM

478 posts, read 809,469 times
I agree w MrRational--stay at a residence inn or some kind of temporary sublet to search places more thoroughly. I personally moved to Baltimore in the space of about 4 days and got pretty lucky, but I know others who haven't (crummy landlord, sketchy location after dark, hidden catches in the lease terms, etc etc).

Regarding location, how safe is safe to you? Nowhere in Mt Vernon is as safe as a sheltered suburb in Lutherville (for example) would be, but it's still a pretty safe area by Baltimore city standards-just use basic street smarts and you'll probably be fine. You're more likely to find parking in the more northern neighborhoods closer to Loyola, but then you'll lose walkability. Essentially, if urbanity/walkability is your priority, then pick Mt Vernon near Charles street (although 1K, with parking, might be a bit low). If better safety and ease of parking is your higher priority, try to find an apartment complex between Hopkins and Loyola, again near the Charles/St Paul corridor.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:47 AM

3,766 posts, read 4,102,538 times
My response echoes the two responses above; get a temporary place until you can get your bearings, then find a permanent place that meets your needs. I make this suggestion because the cities up here are different from where you are in that one block could be good and two blocks away could be bad. I would not recommend Mt. Vernon because of safety issues, but instead advise you to look at Charles Village, Roland Park, and Hampden. Bolton Hill is a very nice neighborhood within walking distance to the Meyerhoff, and a few apartments for rent there are listed on www.boltonhill.org. If you have trouble keeping within your price range, try the neighborhoods of Lauraville and Hamilton on the Harford Road corridor. All of those areas are a relatively quick commute to Loyola and downtown. A realtor should be able to come up with some options for you from the MLS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: