Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2008, 01:59 PM

8 posts, read 23,583 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Boston and my company is thinking of relocating me to the Baltimore office in the next few months. From initial views costs seem to be a lot lower than here in MA. I will be moving with my g/f and dog. Initially we intend to rent in the area - up to $1,300 for a 1/2 bedroom apartment. I've a few questions below that I'd appreciate some help on as I'm struggling to decide if this would be a good move.

1. Can you suggest some reasonable communities for commuting to Baltimore - somewhere under an hour each way if possible? I've hear traffic congestion is pretty bad so I'm not sure how far that will get me from Baltimore.

2. What towns would give good public transport to Baltimore? Is public transport to Baltimore a good/affordable option?

3. Are there any areas that aren't dog friendly?

4. I may have some work from time to time in Philadelphia. Are there some good locations north of Baltimore?

5. If we were to buy any good areas for under $400k

6. I currently rent here in Boston and the rental company offers has apartment buildings at the following location:
- Greentree, 8035 Greenleaf Terrace #T4, Glen Burnie
- Mill Pond, 602 Milldam Court, Millersville
- Clarys Crossing, 11311 Little Patuxent Parkway, Columbia
Any thoughts on these locations?

Thanks for reading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 06:33 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,552,292 times
What area of Baltimore is the office located? That would help with suggestions. Also, one reference: ppcdc.org

Old 01-03-2008, 07:10 AM

Default Inner Harbor

I'll be working on East Pratt St. most of the time

Old 01-03-2008, 08:17 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,552,292 times
That sounds like it is right downtown. I have three dogs and live in the Patterson Park area. It is more affordable than many other areas. You may want to consider it. I placed a link above for one of the sources for rentals. Most places have a small yard for dogs and also the park is right across the street. Lots of dog owners in the area. In terms of buying, this is a good time. Places are more affordable than Canton, etc. On nice days, I walk to work (today not being one of them--to cold).

Old 01-03-2008, 10:01 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,435,665 times
What kind of environment are you looking for?

Do you want a suburban atmosphere, and like to hit a chain restaurant for meals after work?

Or do you prefer a more urban environment, with neighborhood bars and ethnic restaurants?

Or something in between?

If you are working on East Pratt Street, I wouldn't recommend living in Columbia, Millersville, or Glen Burnie. The commute is long, and to be frank, those are bland suburban towns. Public transportation to downtown is poor, and amenities are limited, unless, of course, you want plenty of chain restaurants and big box stores.

$1300 is enough money to allow you to rent a comfortable two bedroom in a nice part of the city. If you want a leafier, not quite so urban, environment, I'd suggest looking at North Baltimore near the Johns Hopkins Homewood campus. Plenty of apartment buildings offer 1-2 bedrooms for your price range, you are near supermarkets, restaurants and parks, and will be only ten minutes to downtown Baltimore. Plus, several city bus routes serve this area and will connect you to downtown Baltimore within the half hour.

Buildings I suggest you look into are Hopkins House with the Time Management Group, the Carlyle Apartments on University Parkway, and the Broadview. Those are large buildings. Smaller, pre-war buildings include the Wyman Park Apartments and the Ambassador. There are also a number of smaller apartment buildings in the area. It's genuinely a very attractive part of Baltimore to live in.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:23 AM

I'd prefer to live in a quite area, suburbs with a few bars.

How long would a morning commute be from Columbia to the Inner Harbor (under an hour?) and what's parking like (availability and price) in Baltimore?

Ii would like to live 10 to 20 miles outside the city center if possible.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:12 PM

195 posts, read 742,580 times
A morning commute from Columbia to Inner Harbor can range, depending on if there is an accident. I would say at least 25-30 minutes.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:03 PM

22 posts, read 42,447 times
If I may ask a similar question, please. My husband will be going to an interview with a company located in Sparrows Point. Currently we live in the southern California mountains.
We have a 4yo son that will be going to kindergarten next year. I've heard that public schools in MD are awful.
We will be wanting to rent a home in an area that is close enough to Sparrows Point, obviously dog friendly, but has a more suburban feel.
The company is offering my husband a substantial increase in salary. But we will also be leaving friends & family. The thought of moving cross country to an area we are not familiar with at all scares the bejeezus outta me.
Is there a place in MD that would be an area to look into?
Thank you so much for your time!!

Old 01-05-2008, 09:39 PM

17 posts, read 70,907 times
Check out Crofton, it placed 72 out of 100. We just listed our house, its on the golf course, I've been surprised at the activity considering the market.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:24 PM

260 posts, read 839,330 times
The OP may want to check out some apartments in the Pikesville area. In particular take a look at the Brittany, Pomona Apartments, and the Estates. All those apartments are real close to the subway which should take you very near to your place of work. You may also want to look in the Owings Mills area as that is also near the subway. Towson might also be an option though the only public transportation downtown is via bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore