Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2008, 06:39 PM

19 posts, read 97,736 times

Advertisements

I plan on applying to UMBC for Fall 2009 (grad school), and would like to know if the surrounding neighborhood is a safe place to live...or what other neighborhoods nearby might be safe/pleasant. I've been down to the area and the school, but only for a brief time, and don't know much about the neighborhoods. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 09:56 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,805,637 times
Default The answer is yes

Yes it is as safe as anyplace is. There are some dorms. Would you be living on campus or off?

Old 01-03-2008, 10:20 PM

Thanks for replying...I plan to live off campus.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:11 AM

315 posts, read 1,299,971 times
Safe compared to what? If you are coming from Bhagdad, Beruit, yeah it's real safe. If you are coming from Salt Lake City or Denver, you might have a different idea. Depends on what you are used to and what you are willing to put up with. Folks post here a lot asking if this or that area around Baltimore is safe. Fact is, Baltimore and it's surrounding environs are not what most people would consider safe. If you read other posts carefully you will see a plethora of "excuse clauses" from proponents of Baltimore. Check out how many times you read, "crime is everywhere" or "safe as anywhere else" or "Baltimore has always had crime." If you are willing to live with and around people who have an "Oh well" attitude toward murder, robbery, rape, etc., then this is the place for you. If your standards are a little higher, I'd look around elsewhere.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:38 AM

1,973 posts, read 6,805,637 times
Default You'll be fine

UMBC is a good school and the area is fine. You'll like it. Although the number of dorms keeps increasing, it is largely a commuter school.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:45 AM

Okay, I apologize for being vague! I will be more specific. Will I, as a young woman, most likely feel safe if I have to walk around at night by myself? Or is that simply out of the question around UMBC? I was down by all the restaurants at the Inner Harbor last year at night, and didn't feel safe, even with my husband by me (this was during the winter, and there weren't many people around at night, other than a bunch of homeless men asking us for money). I imagine it *might* be the same around the school at night, but am not totally sure.

I lived in NYC for 4 years, and currently live in Pittsburgh, PA. I've also lived in Phoenix, AZ and grew up in Buffalo, NY. If you look at crime stats online, NYC is actually considered the safest of these cities (at least as far as homicide rates, I can't remember about all the other types of crime right now). I usually felt safe walking around NYC at night, as long as I wasn't in the middle of some horrible part of Brooklyn or the Bronx. BUT, it seems to me that Baltimore just has many more unsafe areas than other cities. That is why I asked this question. I don't want to go to school somewhere that I'll be worried coming out of the library at night!!!

Thanks.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:03 AM

27 posts, read 185,033 times
Maggie, the UMBC campus is located out in the suburbs of Baltimore. It's a big planned campus surrounded by parking lots. The nearby neighborhoods of Catonsville and Arbutus are fairly safe, middle-class places.

UMBC is certainly a safer campus than UM-College Park or Johns Hopkins. You can get the crime reports here (broken link) - mostly burglaries and car thefts, although I do notice one murder on campus in 2004. If you've lived in big cities, you'll be fine at UMBC.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:14 AM

315 posts, read 1,299,971 times
UMBC is known as a safe campus. As stated earlier, it's mostly a commuter school, so you won't have a ton of folks with you walking around campus at night. If you are not living on campus, I would look somewhere away from Baltimore City-especially if you were nervous about downtown.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:09 PM

Thanks everyone! Just want to research the schools that I'm applying to, and UMBC is one of my top choices. Sounds like I'll be pretty happy if I end up going there

Old 01-04-2008, 04:49 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,603,285 times
I'm a professor at UMBC and as far as campuses go, it's safe, though, as I'm sure you know, you have to be careful walking around a campus at night, whether in a city or a college town. I suggest driving around Arbutus and Catonsville to get a feel for the area when you can. UMBC, though listed as in Baltimore, is definitely not in the city, as someone already pointed out.

Also, about 4000 students currently live on campus, which is almost half the undergraduate population. But very few graduate students live on campus.

Last edited by helenejen; 01-04-2008 at 05:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore