Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 09:02 AM

6 posts, read 18,494 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in applying to a great job opportunity in Baltimore and move there, but I've always heard bad things about the Ravens city. People and media talk about the crime, drugs, murder rate, poverty, corruption, and other problems... I wonder if Baltimore is really that bad? What's living there like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 11:20 AM

1,310 posts, read 1,496,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCowboy90 View Post
I'm interested in applying to a great job opportunity in Baltimore and move there, but I've always heard bad things about the Ravens city. People and media talk about the crime, drugs, murder rate, poverty, corruption, and other problems... I wonder if Baltimore is really that bad? What's living there like?
You could check out the Mike Rowe and David Simon Debate Baltimore's Image thread. I like to say that the quality of life in Baltimore is in the middle or higher when compared to peer rust belt cities. How happy you are depends on your attitude towards urban problems and how many urban problems you experience where you live and travel around the city. Having the resources to live in a better neighborhood certainly helps. But the way, because of a shortage of quality rental housing, rents are relatively high in Baltimore. You can buy a nice rowhouse pretty cheap. A lot of people are put off by attached housing altogether but I like living in a rowhouse.

And of course there are the suburbs. They have less or even zero urban problems depending on where you go. They can also be boring, unwalkable, and far more expensive. Depending on your budget and your priorities, the suburbs can be a great option. But the City works for a lot of people too.

Old 12-05-2014, 04:53 PM

1,539 posts, read 2,288,883 times
/\/\ I agree, if city living isn't your thing there are plenty of suburbs and even rural areas within commutable distance to Baltimore. I hear stuff on the news but its like any other city really. Just know how to carry yourself, exercise common sense, ect... I grew up in the midwest and it doesn't concern me to take my kids downtown alone but we stick to the tourist areas mostly. www.spotcrime.com is a good resource.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:28 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,364,636 times
Where are you coming from?

te=SouthernCowboy90;37525975]I'm interested in applying to a great job opportunity in Baltimore and move there, but I've always heard bad things about the Ravens city. People and media talk about the crime, drugs, murder rate, poverty, corruption, and other problems... I wonder if Baltimore is really that bad? What's living there like?[/quote]

Old 12-05-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Where are you coming from?

te=SouthernCowboy90;37525975]I'm interested in applying to a great job opportunity in Baltimore and move there, but I've always heard bad things about the Ravens city. People and media talk about the crime, drugs, murder rate, poverty, corruption, and other problems... I wonder if Baltimore is really that bad? What's living there like?
[/quote]

Albany, GA

Old 12-05-2014, 06:01 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,364,636 times
Pwduvall gives good information!

Old 12-05-2014, 11:40 PM

52 posts, read 108,739 times
It depends on where in Baltimore. If you don't need to be in Baltimore city, the suburbs offer a broad range of options. Coming from a small city in GA, I would say to initially rent in a safe suburb until you figure out where you want to be and what the commute will be like coming from the different areas. The nice parts in the city are going to be pricey. After a few months you will find where you want to be. The traffic in and around Baltimore is pretty bad. You may even decide you want to be in a neighboring county other than Baltimore county. There are too many options to list. As far as crime, yes the crime in parts of the city is bad. Baltimore city has always had a heroin problem. You will not have to see this or encounter it if you know where to live and where not to go.
I'd say the crime is probably similar or maybe a little worse than crime in Atlanta. They are both very large cities, and all cities this size are going to have crime.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:05 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies. So, the best to do is get the job and live in the suburbs, right? I've been researching about, and there are good places to live in the area. I'll take a "tour" around the suburbs to visit and choose which is the best for me, and then prepare to move in. Housing prices and commuting time are the most important factors right now.
And crime is bad here in Albany, it's considered dangerous for a city of its size, but of course, can't be compared with large cities like Atlanta and Baltimore.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:15 AM

34,091 posts, read 82,455,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCowboy90 View Post
So, the best to do is get the job and live in the suburbs, right?
Close but too simplistic.

The best thing to do is get the job and THEN sort out the best place to live.
START by living as close to work as practical.
START by sharing with someone, make some friends, poke around a bit.

Quote:
Housing prices and commuting time are the most important factors right now.
Striking that balance isn't easy.
Don't expect to hit it on the first attempt.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Close but too simplistic.

The best thing to do is get the job and THEN sort out the best place to live.
START by living as close to work as practical.
START by sharing with someone, make some friends, poke around a bit.

Striking that balance isn't easy.
Don't expect to hit it on the first attempt.

On second thought, you're right...
Thanks for the advises!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore