Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 02:55 PM

8,230 posts, read 13,345,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy_d View Post

Absolutely.. I think this is where the conversation needs to begin.. There may be millions of dollars in saving sitting right here in the City Limits simply by better fiscal management and accountability. Here is the problem though...Baltimore City's Fiscal Management Plan is "kick the can". Kick the can down the road and let someone else deal with the issue. In the meantime..any new Mayor that inherits these issues has no incentive to clean them up because 1) Its tough and may require draconian action against many of the City's Low Wage Workers who are Unionized and Voters 2) There is some inherit benefit financially to have slush funds here or there for favorite consultants, contractors, and other political contributor that if made public would be highly scrutinized and 3)Most Baltimore Mayors have vision of a higher office and in the current state of 'dont rock the boat and wait your turn' political affairs.. If you out your predecessor by exposing all of the fiscal pitfalls that they overlooked/allowed to continue you will receive a scarlet letter from the political establishment because your action may the previous Mayor from becoming Governor, Senator, or *gasp* President.. so you keep quiet because you want to have your turn at the helm someday.

I dont think that its right and it does need to change.. but the voters must demand it. Hogan has got to do it with support from City Council Members (and possibly the Mayor though it may be unlikely because of what I described above) and more importantly Baltimore residents and State Delegates must demand it. Otherwise, it will make him look like the mean ole Republican Businessman picking on poor minorities from the City by cutting aid and admonishing the local city politicos who have been in the trenches fighting for their communities..atleast that will be the headlines....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 03:23 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,487,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
Republican governors that take over from democrats tend to propose major expansions in the road networks. That doesn't leave any money for transit.
California Groundbreaking Marks The True Beginning Of High-Speed Rail In America | ThinkProgress

This is the future. I don't understand why Reps don't like rail.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:58 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,473,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choccity View Post
California Groundbreaking Marks The True Beginning Of High-Speed Rail In America | ThinkProgress

Because the economic benefits of self-serving tax breaks for the wealthy and futilely adding lanes to overburdened existing highways (and a few new highways to nowhere for good measure) will trickle down to the rest of us --somehow.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:54 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,951,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choccity View Post

Think Progress is an extreme left wing moonbat site. If you want to understand the arguments for and against an issue, you should broaden your sources.

If you're wed to "think progress" you will never understand why anyone who isn't a far left extremist holds any position.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:57 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,951,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
Because the economic benefits of self-serving tax breaks for the wealthy and futilely adding lanes to overburdened existing highways (and a few new highways to nowhere for good measure) will trickle down to the rest of us --somehow.
"The wealthy" = those of us who foot the bill for these expensive programs that benefit those who don't pay very much in taxes.

And yes, there are many economic benefits in allowing taxpayers to keep more of what THEY earn. Perhaps you don't see it because you're on the receiving end of big government.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:54 PM

759 posts, read 1,356,274 times
To get back to the original question:
If recent history holds true (and I've only been here for 25 years now), then the Governor's office will have somewhere between next to nothing and zero effect on what happens in Baltimore. We will be ignored like the ugly, overspending stepchild we are, while the Mayor and City Council *****, whine and moan with their hands out.
Frankly, I'm not quite sure if that isn't how it should be, at least until this town at least pretends to clean up its act.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:06 PM

260 posts, read 842,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Absolutely.. I think this is where the conversation needs to begin.. There may be millions of dollars in saving sitting right here in the City Limits simply by better fiscal management and accountability. Here is the problem though...Baltimore City's Fiscal Management Plan is "kick the can". Kick the can down the road and let someone else deal with the issue. In the meantime..any new Mayor that inherits these issues has no incentive to clean them up because 1) Its tough and may require draconian action against many of the City's Low Wage Workers who are Unionized and Voters 2) There is some inherit benefit financially to have slush funds here or there for favorite consultants, contractors, and other political contributor that if made public would be highly scrutinized and 3)Most Baltimore Mayors have vision of a higher office and in the current state of 'dont rock the boat and wait your turn' political affairs.. If you out your predecessor by exposing all of the fiscal pitfalls that they overlooked/allowed to continue you will receive a scarlet letter from the political establishment because your action may the previous Mayor from becoming Governor, Senator, or *gasp* President.. so you keep quiet because you want to have your turn at the helm someday.

I dont think that its right and it does need to change.. but the voters must demand it. Hogan has got to do it with support from City Council Members (and possibly the Mayor though it may be unlikely because of what I described above) and more importantly Baltimore residents and State Delegates must demand it. Otherwise, it will make him look like the mean ole Republican Businessman picking on poor minorities from the City by cutting aid and admonishing the local city politicos who have been in the trenches fighting for their communities..atleast that will be the headlines....
You don't know what you're talking about. The City already passed major retirement benefits reform. Furthermore more than 40% of all city employees live outside the city. Some of them don't even live in Maryland! You can get a more detailed breakdown by department right here.

I'd also argue that cutting the wages of low wage workers so that they live in poverty is not good policy. It just means those who do live in the city will use more city services which will increase the strain on city coffers.

By no means am I a fan of SRB and if the city ever gets its act together on audits I'm sure they'll find plenty of waste. However, I doubt it will be enough to reduce property taxes.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:07 PM

260 posts, read 842,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
"The wealthy" = those of us who foot the bill for these expensive programs that benefit those who don't pay very much in taxes.

And yes, there are many economic benefits in allowing taxpayers to keep more of what THEY earn. Perhaps you don't see it because you're on the receiving end of big government.
Last time I checked we were all on the receiving end of big government. Where do you think this internet thing came from?

Old 01-07-2015, 06:19 AM

252 posts, read 425,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneworld25 View Post
Last time I checked we were all on the receiving end of big government. Where do you think this internet thing came from?
Al Gore?

Old 01-07-2015, 07:30 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,487,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post

You sure make a lot of assumptions. I don't know you and you don't know me. Let's keep it that way. I included a link from Fox just in case.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/06...uG814vA.mailto
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore