Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 10:40 PM

11 posts, read 32,685 times

Advertisements

Hey there! I'm a half Irish half Italian working class guy from Brooklyn, NY. I grew up in a working class old school neighborhood, with a close knit community where most working people were tradesmen, cops, firemen, a few city workers, small business owners (my grandparents and parents ran a corner store grocery for instance) etc. between gentrification, an influx of new immigrants, and people moving away and dying my area and most NY 'hoods like mine are on their way out. I am curious to know if any of the older east coast cities (I couldn't ever live on the west coast, or Midwest) still have thriving working class areas that are not declining/gentrifying etc. Baltimore is a smaller city with less hype surrounding it than say NYC or something so I am figuring that it has not been as throughly yuppified (this is a GOOD thing!).

Basically I am looking for a place in the area that's an old school working class place, where people have thick regional accents, work blue collar jobs etc. a little gritty is fine but not somewhere really dangerous lol.

It doesn't have to be in the city itself but also in the surrounding county is fine. I once drove through the area on I-95 on my way back to NYC from Myrtle Beach and got off the highway to get some food in a town that fit the bill pretty well, however I cannot remember the name of it lol.

What are some old school working class neighborhoods in the area? Especially an area with a strong Irish or Italian presence. I work on cars so I can live anywhere and I am scouting the Bos-Wash for a new place to call home, thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 11:13 PM

260 posts, read 842,813 times
You might be interested in the Dundalk area of Baltimore County. However, its has been having its own issues do to deindustrialization. You might also want to check out Curtis Bay in the city, though I imagine that area is having some of the same issues as Dundalk. And while I can't say for sure, I'd imagine most of the folks in these communities are of Scotch-Irish descent since many of their ancestors are from Appalachia.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:21 PM

11 posts, read 32,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneworld25 View Post
You might be interested in the Dundalk area of Baltimore County. However, its has been having its own issues do to deindustrialization. You might also want to check out Curtis Bay in the city, though I imagine that area is having some of the same issues as Dundalk. And while I can't say for sure, I'd imagine most of the folks in these communities are of Scotch-Irish descent since many of their ancestors are from Appalachia.
Thanks! What about Brooklyn Park? I looked at the demographics, did a street view on Google and saw some cheap apartments on CL and it looks as if it fits the bill..I know it's in a different county but it looks pretty dense and not very suburban..

Old 01-07-2015, 04:37 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,249,582 times
You're living in the past, like when the Sparrows Point shipyard was in business. Recalling the 1950s, Canton was overwhelmingly Polish and definitely working class. My paternal grandparents settled there on Hudson St. Don't recall an overwhelmingly Irish 'hood, although Highlandtown was well-represented with Irish along with Germans. A number of Germans on my maternal grandparents' block in the 300 block of S. East Ave. worked at the National and Gunther breweries nearby, LOL. Little Italy was obviously Italian until the younger folks moved out leaving only the elderly. There was another Italian enclave in Highlandtown near the Our Lady of Pompeii church. Just east of Highlandtown was Little Greece. Not sure about Pigtown in south B'mo but think it was a diversified Euro-American mix, as was Hampden. I don't think there was any dominant Euro culture on the west side but could stand corrected. The wealthier peeps whose kids could afford lacrosse sticks were WASPS as well as Catholics and lived in Govans and points north.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:56 AM

36 posts, read 53,374 times
Brooklyn Park is in the city.

Baltimore has Little Italy. (I'm half Italian/Irish too)

Old 01-07-2015, 07:36 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,249,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoreIsAwesome View Post
Brooklyn Park is in the city.

Baltimore has Little Italy. (I'm half Italian/Irish too)
Thought that Brooklyn is in the city but Brooklyn Park is in AA county.

Brooklyn Park, Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-07-2015, 07:40 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,690,496 times
These types of neighborhoods you're describing are on the decline nation-wide....not just in NY.
I grew up in a neighborhood like that in Philadelphia. Mostly Irish and Italians.... close knit, very Catholic, etc... working class, however in Philly same thing is happening as is NY..... Newer immigrant groups doing what the irish and italians did generations ago.... that era is over im afriad...

Old 01-07-2015, 10:39 AM

36 posts, read 53,374 times
my mistake, thanks Calvert Hall, I get them mixed up sometimes

Old 01-07-2015, 10:53 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,304,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneworld25 View Post
For what it is worth, Scots-Irish and "native" Irish are not the same ethnicity. Scots-Irish were border people from the Scottish/English border that went over the Ireland as settlers and irregular militia type fighters against the "native" Irish. They were nearly entirely Protestant and started to settle the American backcountry in the mid 18th century.

"Native" Irish are what we would call the "Irish" today. Catholic, largest immigration waves in the mid to late 19th century, pushed out by the potato famine, "need not apply" type discrimination in America.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:00 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,422,588 times
*My ex was Brooklyn (East New York), Henry Hill's old neighborhood. Unfortunately, what you're describing is quickly fading in the past.

"..between gentrification, an influx of new immigrants, and people moving away and dying my area and most NY 'hoods like mine are on their way out..."

*This too, is taking place in Baltimore, Philly, New Jersey and other strong ethnic enclaves and communities. It's quite sad and depressing if you ask me. The young people don't want to hold onto their grandparents estates, businesses, traditions and etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by delivery not digiorno View Post
Hey there! I'm a half Irish half Italian working class guy from Brooklyn, NY. I grew up in a working class old school neighborhood, with a close knit community where most working people were tradesmen, cops, firemen, a few city workers, small business owners (my grandparents and parents ran a corner store grocery for instance) etc. between gentrification, an influx of new immigrants, and people moving away and dying my area and most NY 'hoods like mine are on their way out. I am curious to know if any of the older east coast cities (I couldn't ever live on the west coast, or Midwest) still have thriving working class areas that are not declining/gentrifying etc. Baltimore is a smaller city with less hype surrounding it than say NYC or something so I am figuring that it has not been as throughly yuppified (this is a GOOD thing!).

Basically I am looking for a place in the area that's an old school working class place, where people have thick regional accents, work blue collar jobs etc. a little gritty is fine but not somewhere really dangerous lol.

It doesn't have to be in the city itself but also in the surrounding county is fine. I once drove through the area on I-95 on my way back to NYC from Myrtle Beach and got off the highway to get some food in a town that fit the bill pretty well, however I cannot remember the name of it lol.

What are some old school working class neighborhoods in the area? Especially an area with a strong Irish or Italian presence. I work on cars so I can live anywhere and I am scouting the Bos-Wash for a new place to call home, thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: