Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2015, 09:04 PM

179 posts, read 356,139 times

Advertisements

Distance is about the same as Bel Air to Hunt Valley...

Waiting for Mr. Rational's response
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 09:19 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casualsurfer View Post
Distance is about the same as Bel Air to Hunt Valley...
Waiting for Mr. Rational's response
I think you need to find an employer in a less ideal location.
Or to talk them into another $50,000 a year in salary to afford this offer.

Next up are the Northern AA Communities that are somewhat convenient to light rail.
No more practical a choice than any of the other compromises are...
but should be good for a thread or two.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I think you need to find an employer in a less ideal location.
Or to talk them into another $50,000 a year in salary to afford this offer.

Next up are the Northern AA Communities that are somewhat convenient to light rail.
No more practical a choice than any of the other compromises are...
but should be good for a thread or two.
I can't give you more reputations because I haven't given it to others

Another $50K is not in the cards, alas. I could always take the other offer and move to Atlanta where I'll be compelled to carry a gun at all times...but housing will be much less $$$. However, everyone says there's nothing outside of Atlanta, and having been there a few times, I agree. At least I can take the kiddos to NYC, Philly, DC, Boston...the south, for a SoCal native, is just as bad as Indy was for a SoCal native.

I think a new build in Bel Air or a rehab in L-T will be it...sigh. Time to pillage that IRA account. Trying to save that $30K to $40K in housing price delta is much harder than I thought.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:53 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
I think a new build in Bel Air or a rehab in L-T will be it...sigh.
Again, yet another vote for the practicality/school reasons of L-T.
Price be damned.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:34 AM

3,766 posts, read 4,102,538 times
Quote:
I can't give you more reputations because I haven't given it to others

Another $50K is not in the cards, alas. I could always take the other offer and move to Atlanta where I'll be compelled to carry a gun at all times...but housing will be much less $$$. However, everyone says there's nothing outside of Atlanta, and having been there a few times, I agree. At least I can take the kiddos to NYC, Philly, DC, Boston...the south, for a SoCal native, is just as bad as Indy was for a SoCal native.

I think a new build in Bel Air or a rehab in L-T will be it...sigh. Time to pillage that IRA account. Trying to save that $30K to $40K in housing price delta is much harder than I thought.

A new build in Belair? I hope you have found back roads for an easy commute to Hunt Valley because as I have stated in a previous thread, the Belair to Hunt Valley commute down I-95 and across I-695 every morning would be a killer commute. I would take the Catonsville to Hunt Valley commute any day over the Belair to Hunt Valley commute, that is using the major arteries. I would think that the prices in Lutherville/Timonium would be pretty much the same as those in Belair or Catonsville.

Another option is for you to buy a house in Southern Pennsylvania (York County) and commute down I-83 everyday, as many who work in Hunt Valley do. However, that is also a traffic clogged commute, and even though the prices of houses up there are lower, the property taxes are generally higher, sometimes a lot higher.

As for moving to Atlanta I can't comment, but I do think that Baltimore is one of the best places to live in the US, because of its proximity to NYC, Philly, DC, Annapolis, the mountains, the Atlantic Ocean beaches and the Chesapeake Bay.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
A new build in Belair? I hope you have found back roads for an easy commute to Hunt Valley because as I have stated in a previous thread, the Belair to Hunt Valley commute down I-95 and across I-695 every morning would be a killer commute. I would take the Catonsville to Hunt Valley commute any day over the Belair to Hunt Valley commute, that is using the major arteries. I would think that the prices in Lutherville/Timonium would be pretty much the same as those in Belair or Catonsville.

Another option is for you to buy a house in Southern Pennsylvania (York County) and commute down I-83 everyday, as many who work in Hunt Valley do. However, that is also a traffic clogged commute, and even though the prices of houses up there are lower, the property taxes are generally higher, sometimes a lot higher.

As for moving to Atlanta I can't comment, but I do think that Baltimore is one of the best places to live in the US, because of its proximity to NYC, Philly, DC, Annapolis, the mountains, the Atlantic Ocean beaches and the Chesapeake Bay.

James, apparently quite a few coworkers of mine do commute on the back roads and stated they can get to work in 35-40 minutes from Bel Air, no traffic. I'm also partial to the fact that both Costco & IKEA are on the NE side (near White Marsh). Don't understand why Costco won't open one up on the west side (i.e. Ellicot City) or near L-T as both areas' demographics fit the Costco model really well.

York, PA is out - my boss lives up in Sparks and says I-83 south bound is horrible, and I do prefer to be closer to the places you listed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm SUPER excited (my entire family is excited) about the move - imagine the boredom that is Indy, where we have to drive 3 hours north to Chicago for some decent ethnic foods and culture/museums. It's just finding that right place with the right commute is tough. My oldest has some minor disabilities and I'd like to be within a short drive on short notice by the school if I'm needed.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Again, yet another vote for the practicality/school reasons of L-T.
Price be damned.
Indeed, hence the need to pillage my IRA...

Too bad I can't touch my stock options for another 5 years

Old 01-29-2015, 12:55 PM

146 posts, read 174,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post

Both commutes are iffy, but I would probably take Catonsville. Is housing in Lutherville/Timonium, a vastly better commute, that much higher?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore