Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 07:24 AM

8,242 posts, read 13,360,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_s View Post
Why does everything have to be about race/skin color???? Doesnt everyone know that putting yourself in a group of only your complexion is what creates racism????? Why create segregation and racism and then turn around and complain about it?????

I have a solution lets all just be AMERICANS and not give a **** about how light or dark your skin is....oh wait that makes too much sense for humanity.......

Anyone who says "vote for me because I am XYZ race ....LIKE YOU" should be avoided. History has proven that "leaders" who use race as the center of their platform usually have alterior motives and are more than likely corrupt. KKK, Nation of Islam, Neo Nazis, Black Panthers all have had their share of leaders/members who promoted these ideals only to end up in jail or prison for some other criminal enterprise that was behind their rhetoric and their members being left disillusioned and often cheated..Their motives are almost always self serving...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 07:31 AM

386 posts, read 655,617 times
^^^this

Old 02-11-2015, 03:14 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,424,997 times
Cool! It's a good station!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Sure.

I listened to Weasel when he was on the original WHFS in Bethesda.

And to Kirby Scott's "Liverpool Hour" on WCAO. Watched his TV show, too.

I remember watching the Buddy Deane Show with my mom while she was ironing. She wasn't that much into the music, but she liked to see the styles the kids on the show were wearing, and she liked Buddy because he was from Arkansas, like her.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:01 PM

8,242 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Somebody likely got to Mfume or he has a skeleton(s) that could/would come out if he ran for Mayor.. It is amazing that no credible person wants to run for Mayor of Baltimore.. Then again.. I wouldnt want the job either....but hey.. Im not credible.. .

He would have given SRB a run for the money because he certainly has name recognition and people in high places that would support him with $$$. Would he be a good Mayor?? Maybe.. He is charismatic and seems like an idea person so that is a plus.. The key factor that many Mayors fail on is surrounding themselves with good smart professional staff.. not just buddies and yes men. If you can find talented staff who are willing to take some calculated risk and have the support of a charismatic, smart, and that actually CARES about the City and its people.. it could bring real compelling change to the City......OH WELL

Old 02-12-2015, 03:12 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
I am sure he will do an exceptional job. Baltimore will begin to resemble San Francisco or Oslo under his leadership.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:15 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,488,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Somebody likely got to Mfume or he has a skeleton(s) that could/would come out if he ran for Mayor.. It is amazing that no credible person wants to run for Mayor of Baltimore.. Then again.. I wouldnt want the job either....but hey.. Im not credible.. .

He would have given SRB a run for the money because he certainly has name recognition and people in high places that would support him with $$$. Would he be a good Mayor?? Maybe.. He is charismatic and seems like an idea person so that is a plus.. The key factor that many Mayors fail on is surrounding themselves with good smart professional staff.. not just buddies and yes men. If you can find talented staff who are willing to take some calculated risk and have the support of a charismatic, smart, and that actually CARES about the City and its people.. it could bring real compelling change to the City......OH WELL
I don't know about Mfume. It seems that the locals running Baltimore are really not that knowledgeable about their own city to make any real substantial changes, or just don't care.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:30 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,457,171 times
I don't see an upside for Mfume as mayor of Baltimore. He's already had a successful political career; I think he would come in with high public hopes and failure to be less than stunningly wildly successful in improving Baltimore would be regarded as a net loss.

Baltimore needs a uniter, not a divider, someone who loves the city, who does not aspire for higher office at the expense of this one, someone outside enough to not owe too many favors and can think outside of the local provincial box.

An agenda for a modern, prosperous Baltimore is not solely a Black American agenda and that is what Mfume is most identified with. I could see this as being divisive for some interests (net loss).

Mfume does seem to love Baltimore, but not enough to commit to running it.

Mfume at this age and place in his career probably does not aspire to another office (a plus).

Mfume may have skeletons in the closet, favors owed.

As I've said before, I'd consider taking Dixon back and I really liked Otis Rolley. Hey, I can dream, can't I?

Old 02-13-2015, 06:21 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,488,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpark View Post
I don't see an upside for Mfume as mayor of Baltimore. He's already had a successful political career; I think he would come in with high public hopes and failure to be less than stunningly wildly successful in improving Baltimore would be regarded as a net loss.

Baltimore needs a uniter, not a divider, someone who loves the city, who does not aspire for higher office at the expense of this one, someone outside enough to not owe too many favors and can think outside of the local provincial box.

An agenda for a modern, prosperous Baltimore is not solely a Black American agenda and that is what Mfume is most identified with. I could see this as being divisive for some interests (net loss).

Mfume at this age and place in his career probably does not aspire to another office (a plus).

As I've said before, I'd consider taking Dixon back and I really liked Otis Rolley. Hey, I can dream, can't I?
Rolley I think moved back home or close to it. I hope Dixon is not the only option? I mean she made mistakes she should be able to redeem herself. But Baltimore needs new fresh vision. Not someone that owes favors or aspires for higher office using the position as mayor as a stepping stone.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:55 AM

*Are you serious with this statement??! Because, deep down, I don't think you honestly believe what you're conveying to us. It's quite obvious that you're ignorant of real American history (especially African people's history in the US). How in the hell can you draw parallels between the Ku Klux Klan/Neo-Nazis and the Black Panther Party is ludicrous!!! Historically, there have been empirical studies pointing to whites who solely use race as an one indicator in choosing political candidates to represent their municipalities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Anyone who says "vote for me because I am XYZ race ....LIKE YOU" should be avoided. History has proven that "leaders" who use race as the center of their platform usually have alterior motives and are more than likely corrupt. KKK, Nation of Islam, Neo Nazis, Black Panthers all have had their share of leaders/members who promoted these ideals only to end up in jail or prison for some other criminal enterprise that was behind their rhetoric and their members being left disillusioned and often cheated..Their motives are almost always self serving...

Old 02-14-2015, 07:57 AM

"..Baltimore needs a uniter, not a divider, someone who loves the city, who does not aspire for higher office at the expense of this one, someone outside enough to not owe too many favors and can think outside of the local provincial box."

What do you mean by "uniter?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpark View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore