Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 06:57 PM

850 posts, read 1,120,968 times

Advertisements

Interesting article....

Why Baltimore is in such bad shape

Apparently it states the following....

1. The mean IQ of Black Baltimore public school students is around 76, however their parents IQ is most likely lower due to a phenomena "regression towards the mean". The mean IQ of white inner-city public school students is around 86. This resulting population is almost void of any human capital that can benefit (fix) the city.

2. Baltimore lacks the intellectual ability to function at a normal level. Very anti police. The City Council president has only a H.S. Diploma.

3. The solution this article suggest is to is to promote and encourage the immigration of those that would improve the human capital of Baltimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 10:58 PM

934 posts, read 1,051,722 times
I think the author of this "article" has an IQ of about 60.

Why should it at all be "surprising" that white IQs in inner city schools are about the same as black inner city school IQs? As it even says further down in the post (after a bunch of other equally racist and ignorant drivel), the original poster clearly doesn't even understand what "regression to the mean" means. I am a biologist. All of that is pure bullcrap. Plain and simple.

Oh, I know, it's only surprising if you're racist and ignorant. Next topic.

Last edited by designer_genes; 02-14-2015 at 11:10 PM..

Old 02-15-2015, 10:10 AM

850 posts, read 1,120,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by designer_genes View Post
I think the author of this "article" has an IQ of about 60.

Why should it at all be "surprising" that white IQs in inner city schools are about the same as black inner city school IQs? As it even says further down in the post (after a bunch of other equally racist and ignorant drivel), the original poster clearly doesn't even understand what "regression to the mean" means. I am a biologist. All of that is pure bullcrap. Plain and simple.

Oh, I know, it's only surprising if you're racist and ignorant. Next topic.
This is a "true" article that provides good theories as to why Baltimore is suffering. I feel people need to "pull out the stops" and speak honest about Baltimore. Unfortunately that involves things like race, IQ etc.... As soon as you try to speak relevance on these issues, you are automatically deemed a racist. Which is unfair. Baltimore can never heal with this frame of mind.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:29 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,363,403 times
*Well, you will get called a racist if coming with a The Bell Curve: Intelligence and Class Structure in American Life and Dinesh D'souza analysis of race, IQ and intelligence. As compelling and intriguing, well-written these works are, they're wrong on so many fronts. We personally can have this discussion offline forum.

An intellectual honest, non-political corrected discourse on Baltimore's condition will never happen unless the issues of race, Black folks' responsibility to themselves and collective group, maladjusted behavior, cointelpro, mental health, white institutional racism (operated by chocolate covered black people), environmental, legal and economic are placed on the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinthrax View Post
This is a "true" article that provides good theories as to why Baltimore is suffering. I feel people need to "pull out the stops" and speak honest about Baltimore. Unfortunately that involves things like race, IQ etc.... As soon as you try to speak relevance on these issues, you are automatically deemed a racist. Which is unfair. Baltimore can never heal with this frame of mind.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:40 AM

"What can Rawlings-Blake do with a population so lacking in ability?"

*Not a damn thing!

Old 02-15-2015, 10:45 AM

3,734 posts, read 4,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
"What can Rawlings-Blake do with a population so lacking in ability?"

*Not a damn thing!

What can a population do with Rawlings-Blake so lacking in ability?

Not a damn thing because she will be mayor for life.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:25 AM

179 posts, read 353,271 times
I wouldn't be surprised to read this kind of utter nonsense in the deep south, or some places in Idaho where I shall never want to return. But seriously, posting like that is akin to comparing Obama to the Antichrist (correction, just the 7th king).

Old 02-15-2015, 12:19 PM

777 posts, read 872,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinthrax View Post
Interesting article....

Why Baltimore is in such bad shape

Apparently it states the following....

1. The mean IQ of Black Baltimore public school students is around 76, however their parents IQ is most likely lower due to a phenomena "regression towards the mean". The mean IQ of white inner-city public school students is around 86. This resulting population is almost void of any human capital that can benefit (fix) the city.

2. Baltimore lacks the intellectual ability to function at a normal level. Very anti police. The City Council president has only a H.S. Diploma.

3. The solution this article suggest is to is to promote and encourage the immigration of those that would improve the human capital of Baltimore.
Ask the people who live in the
Broadway Street area. Lots of immigration there.
Whether it improves human capital remains to be
seen (it did change the language, however).

Old 02-15-2015, 12:22 PM

"Any efforts at economic revitalization will present inherent difficulties because of the intellectual deficiencies of locals.."

*I've been telling people this for years now!!!! Regardless of the complexion of skins of city's inhabitants, dumb black, white, or giraffes, you can't effectively have a successful city with dumb and ignorant residents.

Old 02-15-2015, 03:31 PM

179 posts, read 353,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
"Any efforts at economic revitalization will present inherent difficulties because of the intellectual deficiencies of locals.."

*I've been telling people this for years now!!!! Regardless of the complexion of skins of city's inhabitants, dumb black, white, or giraffes, you can't effectively have a successful city with dumb and ignorant residents.
OK, but what does dumb mean? Are you referring to lack of intellect or lack of education? I have, in my previous profession, met with some truly genius people who are criminals, and I've met many "successful" business people, millionaires, and education professionals who are utter fools.

I'll give an example: Did you know fortune cookies are NOT of Chinese origin? My point is that pop culture and urban legends - and within itself the bias that come with that content which our politicians and mass media have cultivated since after WWII - permeates throughout this country. We don't have to travel abroad to be enlightened, although less than 10% of Americans travel overseas (Canada & Mexico do not count, neither are the islands in the Caribbeans). But our elected officials, especially those of the "conservative" flavor, have been waging war on education for decades, and the result is crystal clear today:

- People who subscribe to patently false claims that vaccinations causes illnesses and autism.
- People who subscribe to chemtrail theories.
- Birthers movement.
- Denial and amnesia over the Holocaust.
- The Creation Museum.
- Public schools that actually considers teaching creationism along with scientific theories.
- People who actually think Fox News is fair and balanced.

We Americans have become the laughing stock of the world because we put so much emphasis on individuality and its potential for rags to riches (shortcuts), and SO LITTLE on collective higher standards of education (hard work) and the benefits that informed and educated minds can think and consider multiple possibilities of any given situation and consequences of any given choices/decisions made.

Have any of you given thoughts to why tougher criminal laws have not helped with reducing certain kinds of crimes? Although overall crime is, comparatively, at a historical low, the amount of legislation and monies being poured into criminalization and incarceration have increased to an astronomical amount - again from a historical perspective relative to our overall GDP. I see people bemoan the lack of intelligence of certain set of demographics and bias against that demographics, but nobody is considering the fact that the first thing GOP does when elected is to cut basic education spending and has proven to be disastrous for a huge set of the American population: HOW do you expect people with no idea what CONSEQUENCES mean to rationalize a choice between committing a crime or not, or consider the risks and understanding the consequences before signing away their lives and money at the hands of predatory lenders?

"Dumb" is the collective result of our failure, as a nation, to improve access and quality of education, nutrition, infrastructure, and healthcare to its citizens while spending TRILLIONS of dollars borrowed from the Chinese and everyone else on senseless wars, and then turning around and blaming all the ills of our society on immigrants, on minorities, and on everyone else but the people we see in the mirror.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore