Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 09:12 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,424,137 times

Advertisements

*What's that law that is used in Philadelphia about glass bottles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmoore125 View Post
In Pennsylvania, police camp in parking lots at liquor stores at the Delaware border. It is illegal to transport alcohol bought in another state to Pennsylvania. Insanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 09:19 AM

934 posts, read 1,062,841 times
Quote:
That happens in Delaware too. They also turn away passports. It happens.
I lived in DE for 4 years and never had it happen there. Although DE was annoying in different ways, like that weird law where you aren't even allowed in the liquor store if you aren't 21, which is ridiculous. I used to go into the liquor store with my parents all the time growing up in NJ and no one cared. Why should it matter if you're not buying anything?

Old 02-27-2015, 10:12 AM

855 posts, read 1,173,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
*Yes! I love ABC stores. Baltimore liquor stores are very unsafe! Dudes and dudettes selling loosy (loose cigarettes), ready rock (crack cocaine), heroin, bus passes amongst other things!
Honestly, that's the issue with the stores around the city. With ABC all stores have a standard degree of order and cleanliness. It's like going into Target--you know what to expect. I've gone into liquor stores here and they smell like smoke, are dirty, or have some random dude selling something in a corner, and every time I've walked right out. How is that even tolerated?

Old 02-27-2015, 11:09 AM

252 posts, read 425,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by designer_genes View Post
I lived in DE for 4 years and never had it happen there. Although DE was annoying in different ways, like that weird law where you aren't even allowed in the liquor store if you aren't 21, which is ridiculous. I used to go into the liquor store with my parents all the time growing up in NJ and no one cared. Why should it matter if you're not buying anything?
They also reject IDs from far away states. I had a friend from Montatna who had his ID rejected.

Old 03-02-2015, 03:51 PM

759 posts, read 1,357,037 times
Quote:
Many other states allow it, I see this in the South a lot. MD is better than PA as it doesn't have state wine/liquor stores and beer distributors, and better than NC where liquor has to be at a county ABC (alcohol beverage control) store. Every state has its own rules.

Baltimore City doesn't allow liquor stores open on Monday, but bars/restaurants can sell carry out as long as there is food in the same place. Other counties in MD allow this.

Bottom line, it could be worse.
The above highlighted is incorrect.
In general...
Liquor stores in Baltimore City are open Monday-Saturday, and need to close before 12:00 midnight, unless there is a bar attached, in which case they can stay open until 2:00 AM.
Likewise, liquor stores with a bar attached are allowed to be open Sunday and sell carry out beer, wine and liquor during regular bar hours.
However, there are some bars/restaurants that have beer/wine only licenses, some that have only 6-day licenses, some that have a 12:00 or 1:00 AM, rather than a 2:00 AM license, and some that have no off-premise license. To make things more confusing, depending upon a particular license, a bar/restaurant may have any combination of these licenses-e.g., a 6-day beer/wine on and off premise license, a 7-day beer/wine/liquor on premise only license, etc., etc.
Further, liquor stores in the City are allowed to purchase special licenses that allow them to be open for business on several Sundays per year-most choose the period from just before Thanksgiving until New Year's Day.
A hint to the thirsty on the Sabbath...
Many inner-city liquor stores partition off the end of the counter, set up two or three bar stools and call themselves a bar or lounge, just so they can stay open late selling carry-out, and be open for business on Sundays.

Old 03-02-2015, 04:40 PM

252 posts, read 425,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
The above highlighted is incorrect.
In general...
Liquor stores in Baltimore City are open Monday-Saturday, and need to close before 12:00 midnight, unless there is a bar attached, in which case they can stay open until 2:00 AM.
Likewise, liquor stores with a bar attached are allowed to be open Sunday and sell carry out beer, wine and liquor during regular bar hours.
However, there are some bars/restaurants that have beer/wine only licenses, some that have only 6-day licenses, some that have a 12:00 or 1:00 AM, rather than a 2:00 AM license, and some that have no off-premise license. To make things more confusing, depending upon a particular license, a bar/restaurant may have any combination of these licenses-e.g., a 6-day beer/wine on and off premise license, a 7-day beer/wine/liquor on premise only license, etc., etc.
Further, liquor stores in the City are allowed to purchase special licenses that allow them to be open for business on several Sundays per year-most choose the period from just before Thanksgiving until New Year's Day.
A hint to the thirsty on the Sabbath...
Many inner-city liquor stores partition off the end of the counter, set up two or three bar stools and call themselves a bar or lounge, just so they can stay open late selling carry-out, and be open for business on Sundays.
Nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore