Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 08:18 AM

850 posts, read 1,130,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
This.

The Baltimore equivalent of Google would have to be something that draws the best and the brightest of a field the region actually produces a lot of top students in. So that would be medicine, medical research, and public health. So, what would be a high prestige, top of the line mega-company that hires a lot of people in the medical field and is such a leader in the field that it can draw the best from all over the world?

Oh, wait....

ETA: I should add that the second area where the schools in the region produce a lot of talent is probably the arts. Between a MICA, Peabody and perhaps Towson there are a good around of creative types around, and Baltimore not coincidentally has a growing arts scene although nothing Google level yet.
That's like saying the closest thing to Google in Baltimore is McDonalds and Walmart!!!!

Old 03-02-2015, 08:39 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,806,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinthrax View Post
That's like saying the closest thing to Google in Baltimore is McDonalds and Walmart!!!!
So Hopkins Med isn't a world class, innovate leader in its field that attracts top talent from all over the world? It's really a mass market franchise that produces mostly low wage workers who are not at the top of the intellectual food chain? Good to now.

Baltimore's problem is not that it doesn't house enough organizations that attract top talent. It's that the talent doesn't choose to live within city limits often enough so the city loses the potential tax base those organizations generate IMO.

Adding another "Google" type company within city limits will only go so far. More of the city has to be livable for higher income people, particularly families.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:55 AM

934 posts, read 1,061,677 times
Quote:
So Hopkins Med isn't a world class, innovate leader in its field that attracts top talent from all over the world? It's really a mass market franchise that produces mostly low wage workers who are not at the top of the intellectual food chain? Good to now.

Baltimore's problem is not that it doesn't house enough organizations that attract top talent. It's that the talent doesn't choose to live within city limits often enough so the city loses the potential tax base those organizations generate IMO.

Adding another "Google" type company within city limits will only go so far. More of the city has to be livable for higher income people, particularly families.
Don't mind him, Tina. He has a personal vendetta against Hopkins despite having no personal experience with it for some unexplained reason.

Kind of a microcosm of his feelings about Baltimore in general.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by designer_genes View Post
Don't mind him, Tina. He has a personal vendetta against Hopkins despite having no personal experience with it for some unexplained reason.

Kind of a microcosm of his feelings about Baltimore in general.
LOL. Touché.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:46 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,417,247 times
First, you NEED an intelligent political machine and an highly educated public electorate and Baltimore doesn't measure up (yet). That hokey pokey Baltimore attitude is won't cut it anymore! Baltimore is too dumb to see this! MICA, Hopkins, Towson, Morgan, Coppin (yeah, weez Black folks iz smart too sometimez Tina!!!). I know you don't think so, but weez tryin'! Anway.... these plethora of students aren't trying to stay here, maybe a handful of them want/need to because they can't afford NY, LA or London.

Baltimore has a growing art scene that is equivalent to black mold that is growing in the corners of my shower/bathtub.

Quote:
This.

The Baltimore equivalent of Google would have to be something that draws the best and the brightest of a field the region actually produces a lot of top students in. So that would be medicine, medical research, and public health. So, what would be a high prestige, top of the line mega-company that hires a lot of people in the medical field and is such a leader in the field that it can draw the best from all over the world?

Oh, wait....

ETA: I should add that the second area where the schools in the region produce a lot of talent is probably the arts. Between a MICA, Peabody and perhaps Towson there are a good around of creative types around, and Baltimore not coincidentally has a growing arts scene although nothing Google level yet.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:52 AM

I know he wasn't talking to me...I live right down the street from JHU! I eat, mingle and converse with ALL people from ALL walks of existence!

Quote:
LOL. Touché.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:55 AM

"Baltimore's problem is not that it doesn't house enough organizations that attract top talent. It's that the talent doesn't choose to live within city limits often enough so the city loses the potential tax base those organizations generate IMO"

*Who is too blame for this?!!!! Your politicians, business persons and others!

Quote:

Old 03-02-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
First, you NEED an intelligent political machine and an highly educated public electorate and Baltimore doesn't measure up (yet). That hokey pokey Baltimore attitude is won't cut it anymore! Baltimore is too dumb to see this! MICA, Hopkins, Towson, Morgan, Coppin (yeah, weez Black folks iz smart too sometimez Tina!!!). I know you don't think so, but weez tryin'! Anway.... these plethora of students aren't trying to stay here, maybe a handful of them want/need to because they can't afford NY, LA or London.

Baltimore has a growing art scene that is equivalent to black mold that is growing in the corners of my shower/bathtub.
I think Morgan does a great job with education (at all levels) and they are known for producing engineering grads too. And of course football and the band. I think a lot of their alumni stay in the area. And BCCC contributes great things to the nursing pool. But there is no way you are getting to claim Coppin. I'll take a Bowie first. I think Bowie and Morgan may single handedly be responsible for 75% of the black middle class in the region. LMAO

Okay, I'm just teasing with Coppin. A little.

I'm not going to argue about the lack of imagination in the local government.

Hey I like the local arts scene! LOL. so rude.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:19 AM

3,765 posts, read 4,098,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
"Baltimore's problem is not that it doesn't house enough organizations that attract top talent. It's that the talent doesn't choose to live within city limits often enough so the city loses the potential tax base those organizations generate IMO"

*Who is too blame for this?!!!! Your politicians, business persons and others!

Yes, the politicians are to be blamed. Can you please explain why you would blame business persons?

Old 03-02-2015, 11:34 AM

850 posts, read 1,130,671 times
Quote:

Baltimore's problem is that most Baltimoreans are too dumb to even be accepted into Hopkins. You are correct in "attracts top talent all over the world" (excluding Baltimore). That is why Hopkins can function. Anyway the discussion of Hopkins is completely irrelevant in this discussion. I would venture to say most applicants to Hopkins are not Baltimore residents.

Since we are talking about a physical COMPANY where the employees live in and around Baltimore, we are back to square one. Where is the talent???????

You indicated that the talent chooses not to live within the city limits! Hmmmmmmm.. Why is that, let me try to figure this out. If I have a PhD or MD in some field, why the hell do I want to live in Bitchamore City, when I can move to MoCo, HoCo, NoVa or some other state and be paid 100, 200, 300K a year. Salaries that are not commonplace in Baltimore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore