Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2015, 05:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,190 times

Advertisements

Can anyone advise if its ok to move into McElderry St Baltimore MD 21205. Maybe moving there for work in Baltimore would appreciate any feedback. I need to know its ok for young family. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 06:34 PM

556 posts, read 941,305 times
Let me preface this by saying that I really enjoy living in Baltimore, and I think the city is generally nicer/safer than what is commonly perceived, so if anything, I'm probably going assess any part of the city as "better" than many others would...

I assume you will be working at the Johns Hopkins Medical campus (Hospital, Medicine, Public Health, Nursing...)? I strongly recommend that you visit Baltimore for a few days and spend some time driving around that part of town at different times of day/night (emphasis on drive, ideally with someone else in the car). I think it's safe enough during the day time to walk to/from the JHMI campus, but I wouldn't feel comfortable walking at night. At night, I don't think I would even feel safe walking from the front door to my car parked on the street. The McElderry Park neighborhood association is doing more to improve their neighborhood than a lot of other parts of the city, but it still has a long way to go.

I know JHU wants to promote living closer the where you work, and offers financial incentives for employees who buy property in the city - I suggest looking closer to Patterson Park (south of the park in particular), or in Fells Point. From Fells Point, you can take the free circulator bus to get to and from JHMI. You may also want to consider Bolton Hill - it's further away, but still pretty convenient as you can walk to Penn Station and use the free JHU shuttle bus to get to campus. Mount Vernon is also on the JHU shuttle route, and pretty popular among JHU grad students. There are quite a few young families in the neighborhood, so it may also be a good option.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:58 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,496,900 times
Are you talking about being really close to the hospital, say on the 2000 block. That block looks pretty nice but its not the first place I would think of for family living. And then things deteriorate as you move east... If you want an highly urban experience, you could look at places just north of Paterson Park or in Butchers Hill.

Are you working in the Hospital Area? There are also Hopkins shuttle stops in Charles Village. As mpheels says, McElderry Park is improving but it has a long way to go. I think there is a difference between neighborhoods for hardened urban pioneers and neighborhoods that are family friendly.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:27 AM

934 posts, read 1,051,872 times
Would have to agree with the above posts. I wouldn't feel comfortable living there with a young family. I'd recommend widening your search to Butcher's Hill and Patterson Park. There is a Hopkins shuttle stop on the Northwest corner of Patterson Park. Mount Vernon is another neighborhood on the Hopkins shuttle route that is convenient to the medical campus and much safer than McElderry Park. But, if you're looking for rowhome style living, Mount Vernon doesn't have as much of that to offer. But, it is closer to downtown and all of the "hustle and bustle" (harbor, restaurants, stadiums, bars, etc) if that's what you're into. Otherwise, I'd look at Patterson Park, Butcher's Hill, and Fell's Point (where you can take the Green Line Circulator to work, as was mentioned earlier).

Most areas of Butcher's Hill, some of Patterson Park, and a lot of Upper Fells are also walkable to JHMI, so don't feel like you'd be going terribly far. I know plenty of people that live in these neighborhoods that walk to campus daily instead of using the shuttle or bus.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:14 PM

2 posts, read 2,190 times
Thanks again for all your comments, I really appreciate this.The local knowledge Is invaluable. I'm probably more interested in buying a 3bed 2bathroom property rather than renting. If any one knows anyone wanting to sell their property in a nice family friendly area, like the areas you have mentioned in any of the posts, (other than McElderry St area of Baltimore 21205). I would be interested to here from you. Thanks again in advance.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:18 PM

613 posts, read 459,636 times
If you drive, live in the county. =) Milford Mill RD is really close to Bedford Elementary, and not far from Campfield either. The metro is nearby, so if you do work at Hopkinns, it'll take you straight there.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:44 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,266,408 times
Do you have any kids? If so, you'd better be able to afford private schools . . .

Old 03-25-2015, 05:09 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,364,636 times
This is Baltimore....buy a gun, a few guns or a pitbull!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltMD1 View Post
Thanks again for all your comments, I really appreciate this.The local knowledge Is invaluable. I'm probably more interested in buying a 3bed 2bathroom property rather than renting. If any one knows anyone wanting to sell their property in a nice family friendly area, like the areas you have mentioned in any of the posts, (other than McElderry St area of Baltimore 21205). I would be interested to here from you. Thanks again in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: