Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 07:25 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,304,524 times

Advertisements

Columbia is great for a lot of what you are looking for except you won't likely find the character homes you are asking about. Columbia was built starting in the 60s more or less so the housing stock is reflective of that. Catonsville would be a good choice, as would some of Ellicott City since it borders Catonsville. I have a feeling you'll love the historic downtown area of Ellicott City so be sure to drive through that on your trip. I don't have enough experience with Baltimore City to comment on the specific neighborhoods but there are lots of people here with great ideas on that. Another area you might consider with older character homes is Linthicum. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 01:22 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,959,464 times
Just so people have better context you may be more familiar with, the northside of Chicago is very similar to neighborhoods you would find in NW DC both East and West of Rock Creek Park. The northside is generally a nicer area, houses typically go from around $300k-$1 million, depending on the neighborhood.

In DC this would be far easier for me to point them in the right direction, it sounds like they want something like Shepherd Park in DC or Takoma Park, MD, but Baltimore is a bit more tricky. Ellicot city is not a bad recomendation though. With that being said, they are used to living in the city, and Chicago is even more dense than Baltimore in some ways.

Hopefully this helps people out in making recomendations for Baltimore. I am thinking the whole Hampden, Wyman Park, Wyndhurst, North-Centralish area of Baltimore would fit, with what little knowledge I have of the Baltimore area. Hopefully this helps.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:11 PM

4 posts, read 4,822 times
Thanks DistricSonic. You are pretty spot on...we would have loved Takoma Park if DC was wher we landed. 300 - 500k would not be sticker shock for us...we live a little NW chicago not just north so we are used to a little bit of grass -)

Old 03-29-2015, 01:37 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,510,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny4321 View Post
Thanks DistricSonic. You are pretty spot on...we would have loved Takoma Park if DC was wher we landed. 300 - 500k would not be sticker shock for us...we live a little NW chicago not just north so we are used to a little bit of grass -)
Then you could probably afford a house in the cheaper parts of the Roland Park area of the city. Just make sure that the location is within the Roland Park School zone. You could probably get a little more house for your money in several county locations but Roland Park offers a lot of city conveniences without a lot of the city problems...and a little bit of grass.

Old 03-31-2015, 01:43 PM

866 posts, read 2,628,047 times
You could easily find a nice house in Mount Washington with your budget.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:27 PM

102 posts, read 178,619 times
For a good school in the city where you could enroll all your kids at the same time there is very little choice. Hampstead Hill is one. You have to live in the Canton Neighbourhood. But while there are many house (some very nice) in the area for your budget, I don't see many of them big enough for a family of 6. It's doable but most houses for sale are 2 or 3 bedrooms.

Another one is Wolfe Street Academy, underrated and often overlooked but a very good option. Great school score went up last 3 years, for what it tells you and upper fells point is an up and coming area with a lot to offer.

Roland Park, Mount Washington and....... I think that's about it for public schools. Even in some very good neighbourhoods (Homeland and Guilford come to mind), schools are horrible because families usually can afford private school. Patterson Park Public Charter School is where my daughters go and we love it but I'm curious to hear about their policy for a family of 4 coming all together (it's by lottery and they do give sibling preference but I don't know about getting all of them in on the first year, space is extremely limited for 1st grade and up). Is one of them going for Kindergarden? You can apply as long as you live within the city limits.

Howard County has the reputation to have one of the best public school system in the country, which drives the house prices way up. You might want to look at Ellicott City and Elkridge.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:00 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,809,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisDS View Post
For a good school in the city where you could enroll all your kids at the same time there is very little choice. Hampstead Hill is one. You have to live in the Canton Neighbourhood. But while there are many house (some very nice) in the area for your budget, I don't see many of them big enough for a family of 6. It's doable but most houses for sale are 2 or 3 bedrooms.

Another one is Wolfe Street Academy, underrated and often overlooked but a very good option. Great school score went up last 3 years, for what it tells you and upper fells point is an up and coming area with a lot to offer.

Roland Park, Mount Washington and....... I think that's about it for public schools. Even in some very good neighbourhoods (Homeland and Guilford come to mind), schools are horrible because families usually can afford private school. Patterson Park Public Charter School is where my daughters go and we love it but I'm curious to hear about their policy for a family of 4 coming all together (it's by lottery and they do give sibling preference but I don't know about getting all of them in on the first year, space is extremely limited for 1st grade and up). Is one of them going for Kindergarden? You can apply as long as you live within the city limits.

Howard County has the reputation to have one of the best public school system in the country, which drives the house prices way up. You might want to look at Ellicott City and Elkridge.
In addition to the ones you listed, I've heard very good things about Medfield Heights Elementary. It flies under the radar but apparently people there are very, very satisfied with it. Roland Park is it's zoned middle school. The houses in Medfield are cheaper as well.

Cross Country Elementary is supposed to have an excellent gifted program, and among some African Americans the school is well regarded. Ditto Empowerment Academy, which is a charter (at least on the elementary level, I heard mixed things about the middle school)

Hamilton Elementary/Middle is supposed to be decent as well.

There are a few other public schools/charters that are supposed to be better than their numbers indicate, you have to ask around though.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:08 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,456,641 times
Avoid Hamilton EM, admin doesn't enforce discipline and it is weakening the school; I know staff there, this is policy shoved down form North Avenue, can't suspend anyone now...disruptive students with unresponsive guardians rule the roost.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:24 AM

2,423 posts, read 2,092,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
In addition to the ones you listed, I've heard very good things about Medfield Heights Elementary. It flies under the radar but apparently people there are very, very satisfied with it. Roland Park is it's zoned middle school. The houses in Medfield are cheaper as well.

Cross Country Elementary is supposed to have an excellent gifted program, and among some African Americans the school is well regarded. Ditto Empowerment Academy, which is a charter (at least on the elementary level, I heard mixed things about the middle school)

Hamilton Elementary/Middle is supposed to be decent as well.

There are a few other public schools/charters that are supposed to be better than their numbers indicate, you have to ask around though.

How's the schools up in Mount Washington?

Old 04-09-2015, 08:16 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,456,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoreJuice View Post
How's the schools up in Mount Washington?
Mt Washington is good.

Other good city public schools:
Medfield
Roland Park
Thomas Johnson
Federal Hill Prep
Francis Scott Key
Hampstead Hill

I'm sure there are others, but these are the ones I have direct knowledge of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore