Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 08:40 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,371,560 times

Advertisements

Well...at least Myrtle Beach is nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
Meh..... I won't even touch that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 08:42 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,371,560 times
Stop telling lies about Baltimore!!! This town needs a blood transfusion x 10,000 and you know this to be true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
Hey IH, the young lady is asking questions, don't try to scare her off-this town needs new blood. I seem to remember you raising that point several times in the past, and specifically saying that the town needs a new and different "type" of "black" blood!
Karolinagirl, I too am from the sunny Southland, Georgia in fact, and damn proud of it. I moved here nearly twenty-five years ago, and found Baltimore a real eye-opener. This place will not be what you are used to. People here are much more forward and "in-your-face", than they are down home. Their idea of manners will probably seem much different from what you're accustomed to, as well. Not to say that they are bad people, quite the contrary, just different.
The Woodlawn area is a western suburb, and safe, albeit boring-nothing really happening there for a twenty-something in search of nightlife. The same could be said for most of suburban Baltimore, except possibly the area around Towson U. For the most part, suburbs here are just like suburbs anywhere else in the country-strip shopping centers, malls, chain bars and restaurants, car dealerships, etc. Most of the nightlife, live music, clubs, interesting restaurants, trendy shopping, etc., etc., exists wholly within the City.
There are some dicey areas in the suburban areas immediately East, West and South of the City, so suburbs do not necessarily equal safety.
The other suburbs mentioned, Columbia and areas closer to D.C., e.g., are certainly safer, but much, much more expensive. As someone your age, I'd try to find a roommate, maybe another girl close to your age familiar with the City. I definitely recommend urban living if you are a fairly adventurous young person. There are still parts of the City that are reasonably safe, reasonably priced, have a younger demographic, and are easily accessible to what's happening in town.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:28 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,939,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karolinagrl View Post
Good afternoon!

I am contemplating a job offer near Baltimore, Woodlawn to be exact. To be frank, I haven't a clue about Baltimore! I don't know anyone in the area. I am curious about where to live, quality of life, and what would be a good salary to live decently (and safely) on.

A little background about me - I am mid 20s, black, middle of the road, and spiritual but not religious. I've lived in the South my whole life. I'd love to learn about areas of town with young adults and plenty of activities like live music, lounges, etc. I also have a car.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Take the job in Baltimore as a career stepping ladder. Sure, Baltimore has it's share of problems, crime, etc...just as every other city in America. There is no perfect city. However, ...Baltimore will place you in right smack in the middle of MAJOR EMPLOYMENT HUBS such as Phila, New York and Washington, D.C.

If Baltimore and working for the Federal Government is not your cup of tea, you can make friends, network, change careers or work for another Federal or Government contractor in D.C., NY, or Philadelphia. Living in Baltimore puts you a 35 minute train ride from D.C., 60 minutes from Philadelphia and 1 hr and 45 minutes from NYC.

So far as where to live...if you get some free time, take a train or drive up to Baltimore and see the city for yourself and make an informed decision based upon your own experience, then decide if Baltimore is the right place for you.

JMHO.

Last edited by dorado0359; 03-29-2015 at 12:33 PM.. Reason: ...

Old 03-30-2015, 02:06 PM

569 posts, read 1,435,202 times
Woodlawn has the most violent crime of all the Baltimore County precincts, followed by Landsdowne.

I'd stay away.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:50 PM

30 posts, read 20,431 times
Pay no heed to IH77 or steppenthrax, both of them are negative nancy grouchy naysayers, who would upon finding a $50.00 bill, will curse at it asking why wasn't it a $100.00 and throw it on the ground.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:52 PM

But if they see a homeless person pick up the 50, they'll run over and take the 50 from the homeless guy.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:36 PM

850 posts, read 1,122,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliminatethenegative View Post
Pay no heed to IH77 or steppenthrax, both of them are negative nancy grouchy naysayers, who would upon finding a $50.00 bill, will curse at it asking why wasn't it a $100.00 and throw it on the ground.
Wow I haven't even chimed in and you are angry?

Old 03-30-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karolinagrl View Post
South Carolina
My mother is from North Carolina (Ahoskie).

The Security Blvd area is pretty horrible. The Dept of Vital records is down there (obtain birth cert). I went there a few years back to get my birth records. I should have just went through the mail. The area is a general cesspool.

In the DC area the closest thing I can think of is probably Branch Ave. Just a lot of bad activity and people walking around everyplace. The SS admin is down there, that area is pretty secure (federal building). You should be fine as long as you stick around there.

If you go out for lunch etc, bring a friend or go in groups.

They should change that area to Unsecurity Blvd.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:41 PM

You really are ridiculous steppinthrax. I work for SSA and there's absolutely no reason why any one of working at SSA cannot go get lunch by ourselves in that area!

You are so unbelieveably ridiculously asinine! Every single comment someone makes here you come on and say something contrarian and negative! What you said about the area around SSA is not true at all!

Again I'm going to ask you why do you come on this forum!?! Are you trying to satisfy some sick pathological desire to paint Baltimore in such a negative light?

I'm going to ask you stop right now and get a life!

Old 03-31-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliminatethenegative View Post
You really are ridiculous steppinthrax. I work for SSA and there's absolutely no reason why any one of working at SSA cannot go get lunch by ourselves in that area!

You are so unbelieveably ridiculously asinine! Every single comment someone makes here you come on and say something contrarian and negative! What you said about the area around SSA is not true at all!

Again I'm going to ask you why do you come on this forum!?! Are you trying to satisfy some sick pathological desire to paint Baltimore in such a negative light?

I'm going to ask you stop right now and get a life!
Sure,

There is no reason that I should not let my my 9 yo daughter walk down Penn Ave in Balto. It's possible. Do you think I'm stupid.

Why do you have dual accounts (as someone has pointed out)....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore