U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 10:24 PM

38,704 posts, read 93,542,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by choccity View Post
Now what???!! Outta ideas.
"Stop rioting" would be my first suggestion.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 11:41 PM

7,767 posts, read 4,770,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowery View Post
+1
I saw your earlier posts Sunflowery, and my heart goes out to you.

To all of you regular folks just trying to live your lives, please stay safe.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:15 AM

8,014 posts, read 10,159,261 times
Maybe because Baltimore has been infested with ignored poverty for so long, that no one wants to invest in it. Other than that, all the money in the world could not fix it.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:50 AM

1,184 posts, read 1,141,850 times
Corruption, selfishness, prejudice, lack of opportunity, and not enough supporting, planning, contribution, and humanitarian efforts. Its a shame becuase just because DC has the government, NYC the cultural/financial headquarters along with its immigration appeal, Philadelphia basically left away its inferiority complex and after a bit of a decay like Baltimore (and even NYC and DC), decided to bring investment along with building communities. Sometimes, downsizing (St. Louis, Pittsburgh, New Orleans come to mind) mean that despite the loss of certain industry, you can still have a decent city even if there are some rough spots.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:01 PM

31,441 posts, read 70,482,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
Maybe because Baltimore has been infested with ignored poverty for so long, that no one wants to invest in it. Other than that, all the money in the world could not fix it.
What, pray tell, is "ignored" poverty? I'm friends with a young woman who grew up poor in Newark, NJ and has now become a very successful auditor with the Feds while raising a young child; battling cancer; and working on pursuing her terminal degree. She's more accomplished than I'll ever dream of becoming, and I grew up in a middle-class suburban household in a neighborhood that was 100% white and in which probably 50% of the householders were college-educated. I'm a failure professionally who often skips meals due to poor life choices. She's a success professionally who is often able to splurge due to better life choices. Urban blacks need to get over this "I'm a victim" mentality and start grabbing life by the horns.

We are all given free will. We all have choices to make. VERY generous financial aid packages and scholarships are available for inner-city youths to further their educations beyond high school so they can become productive members of society and not end up flipping cars over and looting liquor stores, as the whole country has now been watching for days on national news. Nobody is telling these poor black youths who are rioting "you can't work hard and better yourselves to achieve the American Dream". You need to work hard to achieve success, and these communities need to stop waiting for everything to be handed to them.

I will say that poor urban blacks tend to be resentful of even lower-middle-class whites because they blame whites for their own unfavorable socioeconomic predicaments, hence why it's unlikely you'll see much in the way of white-led gentrification coming to majority-black neighborhoods in Baltimore until if and when more middle-class and upper-middle-class BLACK households FIRST make the effort to move in to help to bridge the gap a bit. As long as upstanding middle-class blacks don't even want to raise their families around these animals we see wreaking havoc in the streets you're not going to get ANYONE ELSE to want to "turn around" the city, either. Now that I learned that some fellow whites were targeted JUST FOR BEING WHITE I've canceled our plans to visit Baltimore this summer.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:20 PM

1,567 posts, read 2,768,588 times
I occasionally lurk on the Baltimore forum. I like Baltimore. I've noticed that a lot of the negative comments about the city are the same as the ones I used to hear about Philadelphia 10+ (and especially 15+) years ago. If Philadelphia can manage to rise above its own former negativity, I'm sure Baltimore can too. The cities are similar in many ways.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:27 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,236,645 times
I can't wait until all this mayhem finally is passed on to a different city and state. I kind of long for the dull and boring days when the only action seen in the Baltimore forum was a thread about some random reference to the city that Infinite Heights overheard while buying cigs at 3 a.m. at his local Royal Farms.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:18 PM

1,151 posts, read 1,809,503 times
To the question posed by the title of this thread: All you need to do is look at what has been happening in Baltimore the past week. That will give you your answer.

Another thing... I submit that allowing concealed carry permits in Maryland will see these sorts of rioting drop dramatically. Responsible property owners have every right to defend their families and property.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:31 PM

25 posts, read 30,614 times
is the fourth city philly? because if so... yea... philly is a dump.

I used to think that the NE Corridor was a mecca for new urbanist reborn cities. After spending a lot of time in all of them, I stepped back and realized that there's only really 3 cities worth a damn in the entire area, and they are DC, NYC & Boston.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:53 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,286,278 times
Look who's in Charge of your Government. Baltimore is Detroit Bound on Steroids ~ Way to Go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore