U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 01:33 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,172,769 times

Advertisements

When I think "Baltimore" (with exceptions of course) a Nanny Dem City comes to mind and with that lifelong poverty and the rest of the "attributes" that go along with it. Until that ever changes - no turnaround, in fact it may even get worse in as long as dem policies keep them from actually being a positive productive part of society so to get their vote in exchange. The freebie getters who are not really in need of it from "nanny" are the ones I speak of that we working Americans are paying for - they need to actually go out and work as they have too much time on their hands to do too much wrong.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 05:06 PM

158 posts, read 185,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoreJuice View Post
Baltimore at this stage in life can only go up and not down. We have had an increase in population in the last two years for the first time in 30 years. The city has some of the most beautiful homes in the region. Despite the crime, the city is very inhabitable. The restaurant business is booming in the city. Has anybody noticed that the city does not have allot of big box stores? Or even many name branded restaurants? All of that is in the county, and that makes Baltimore unique! But, we want more mom and pop businesses, restaurants, entertainment..

15 years from now, yall can visit me in my Eutaw Palace and look back on how "bad" our city was because it is surely going to get better.

You do realize if the cops are found not guilty there is going to be a larger riot with more building burned down. The white people protesting are complete losers.

Old 05-06-2015, 05:24 PM

2,346 posts, read 1,688,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianExec View Post
You do realize if the cops are found not guilty there is going to be a larger riot with more building burned down. The white people protesting are complete losers.
It is very possible that this would happen.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:04 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,965,891 times
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/05/05...html?referrer=

Something that might be relevant to this thread.

Old 05-07-2015, 04:34 PM

6,897 posts, read 10,478,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/05/05...html?referrer=

Something that might be relevant to this thread.

I guess the point some are making is if the BPD Officers get off.. where will the NEXT riot take place. These areas featured in this news report may not be directly affected THIS time.. But if a second riot occurs because of an aquittal they could be..

At a minimum- Citywide Curfew in effect again.
Secondly, areas like Fells Point, Canton, Highlandtown, Station North, Mt Vernon (which saw some minor looting) and Bolton Hill are either close to some of the affected areas or are Citywide entertainment areas where people may go just so they can prove a point..

If a mob (not to be confused with peaceful protestors) descends on Fed Hill around Cross Street Market.. or Broadway in Fells Point.. where will they be dispersed to when the BPD pushes back? Into the surrounding streets and alleys..which are inhabited by some of the same folks that may feel they are currently immune to any riot activity.. The rage that would have been directed at the local businesses in these areas would be redirected to residential zones as the group moves out of the area in terms of property damage likely mostly cars and a windows. Some Canton residents have complained about property crimes when some of the local city schools let out.. I can only imagine what a group that is outraged could/would do in a residential area that they feel they have no ties to nor repercussions from a known neighbor(since they may not live there) or familiar resident....Again to be clear...mob (bent on riot) versus peaceful protestors...

Again, I hope it doesnt happen but we are not necessarily out of the woods yet.

Old 05-07-2015, 06:16 PM

2,346 posts, read 1,688,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I guess the point some are making is if the BPD Officers get off.. where will the NEXT riot take place. These areas featured in this news report may not be directly affected THIS time.. But if a second riot occurs because of an aquittal they could be..

At a minimum- Citywide Curfew in effect again.
Secondly, areas like Fells Point, Canton, Highlandtown, Station North, Mt Vernon (which saw some minor looting) and Bolton Hill are either close to some of the affected areas or are Citywide entertainment areas where people may go just so they can prove a point..

If a mob (not to be confused with peaceful protestors) descends on Fed Hill around Cross Street Market.. or Broadway in Fells Point.. where will they be dispersed to when the BPD pushes back? Into the surrounding streets and alleys..which are inhabited by some of the same folks that may feel they are currently immune to any riot activity.. The rage that would have been directed at the local businesses in these areas would be redirected to residential zones as the group moves out of the area in terms of property damage likely mostly cars and a windows. Some Canton residents have complained about property crimes when some of the local city schools let out.. I can only imagine what a group that is outraged could/would do in a residential area that they feel they have no ties to nor repercussions from a known neighbor(since they may not live there) or familiar resident....Again to be clear...mob (bent on riot) versus peaceful protestors...

Again, I hope it doesnt happen but we are not necessarily out of the woods yet.
Your absolutely right. Any action the community does not like they know they can riot and destroy property and know that something will change. I excepted protesting like Selma, not World War Z. Blame the working class in Baltimore for their problems because "they don't own anything anyway." Makes my blood boil but we can't teach ignorance.

Old 05-09-2015, 05:47 PM

6,472 posts, read 14,888,037 times
The only problem with Baltimore is some of the people who live there. (OK well that and the aging infrastructure) And the only answer is to move them someplace else. They're not going to suddenly become educated and polite, avoid drugs and drinking and get jobs.

And IMO it is not fair to steal resources from the people who have property in Baltimore and who are not poor to keep trying to funnel to people who don't pay taxes and do whatever they can to blemish the city. They don't have a RIGHT to live there and destroy property, go to schools paid for by taxpayers and not learn etc.

BUT the politicians seem to have an "us against them" attitude. As a result, they won't take any action that can be seen as harming "the community." How is your community a bunch of poor, ignorant, drug-addicted, uneducated (and not valuing education), inarticulate thieves?

In any city with sense, they'd be relocating and moving out scum like this as fast as possible. They're IMPOSSIBLE to live with. IMHO

Old 05-09-2015, 10:00 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,194,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640TAG View Post
Hi to Baltimoreans from a London newbie!

The only US cities I've been in over the years are Las Vegas (hated every minute), LA, Boston, SF (numerous times), NYC (many times) and small towns when driving around. They fascinate me, as they are so completely and utterly different from their European counterparts that I know so well (I'd say Boston is the nearest).

I usually try to see the grit as well as the glitz in everywhere I visit, and having visited the South Bronx in the early 90s all I can say is that if THAT place can turn itself around, it ought to be a piece of cake for Baltimore! I appreciate having Manhattan a subway ride away with it's jobs and housing pressure makes a difference. I am, of course, being flippant.

I've been interested in Baltimore for many years - David Simon's work only intensified it. I can't get over the many streets of rowhouses (what we called "terraced") - they have a European, and above all, English look about them. I'm sure there is nothing cosy about many of those neighbourhoods, but they look it in a way Detroit's wilderness or South Central's sprawl do not. Above all, it must be down to jobs. If there could be more opportunities, then the architecture is all there ripe for restoration (and, I guess, the "g" word). Baltimore could be such a pretty city. It seems to have a compactness missing in many US cities which ought to make transport easier. Many parts of the UK have suffered the same de-industrialisation, especially in the North. Manchester could be our Baltimore (or even Detroit) but has managed to reinvent itself to a fair degree. There's pockets of poverty all over the country - even a few streets of abandoned houses up North, but nothing, NOTHING remotely on the scale of East and West Baltimore in terms of scale or degree of poverty. I guess, despite our financial malaise, we do still have a much tighter welfare safety net and a totally different way of local public finance. A city simply could not go into bankruptcy here - central funding would ensure it didn't.

I wouldn't pretend to know the complexities of the situation in the US. To me, however, it seems to do abandonment and gentrification like no place on earth. That dawned on me a couple of years ago as I sat outside a bar drinking craft beer and eating fries with shaved truffles in Harlem . Like many Londoners, I have a longstanding love affair with NYC and I feel another trip coming on. This time I will make time for Baltimore too.
I fear that the riots will dry up both public and private investment in Baltimore. We will need to try to get going again totally based on our own meager resources. That will impose discipline and force us to set priorities, but, if money doesn't come in from outside, there is no place to go but down. In the end there will be even less jobs for people in places like Sandtown. The rioters, along with their friends and relatives, will end up suffering the most from the fallout from the riots.

On the bright side, "Gentrification" of black neighborhoods will decrease. That seemed to be the big concern of the Black Baltimore elite prior to the riots.

If the plug is pulled on Baltimore, leading to financial crisis in the short term, that should make the conservatives happy too. Of course, pulling the plug on Baltimore will require several major changes to Maryland law. The city's pariah status would have to be stoked for all it is worth in order to do that. In addition, such an endeavor (if it is going to be truly effective) would violate the state constitution. A maneuver where the state withholds funds that would normally flow to the city government, residents, and businesses (like the Israelis do to the Palestinians) would do the trick. Therefore, such a plan would need to create a financial crisis and panic deep enough to put the city in bankruptcy before it is reversed in court. A tricky maneuver indeed!

Old 05-10-2015, 11:23 AM

5,289 posts, read 6,126,194 times
" The white people protesting are complete losers."

*Interesing! LOL!How so? Shouldn't white folks who feel and see injustices lobbied against them and their fellow human beings shouldn't warrant protests against this perceived injustice(s)??! Many whites protested and marched with Dr. King, including many Italians. So, what is your point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianExec View Post

Old 05-10-2015, 11:28 AM

5,289 posts, read 6,126,194 times
" That seemed to be the big concern of the Black Baltimore elite prior to the riots. "

*LOL! The so-called Black elite in Baltimore are mere puppets for the white power structure that runs Baltimore. They are given the illusion these individuals are powerful, but this is far from the the truth. Those negroes down at City Hall don't run or have the resources to affect any sort of sustainable outcomes for the mass majority of African American in this city. Read Franz Fanon, "Black Skin, White Masks" for reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
I fear that the riots will dry up both public and private investment in Baltimore. We will need to try to get going again totally based on our own meager resources. That will impose discipline and force us to set priorities, but, if money doesn't come in from outside, there is no place to go but down. In the end there will be even less jobs for people in places like Sandtown. The rioters, along with their friends and relatives, will end up suffering the most from the fallout from the riots.

On the bright side, "Gentrification" of black neighborhoods will decrease. That seemed to be the big concern of the Black Baltimore elite prior to the riots.

If the plug is pulled on Baltimore, leading to financial crisis in the short term, that should make the conservatives happy too. Of course, pulling the plug on Baltimore will require several major changes to Maryland law. The city's pariah status would have to be stoked for all it is worth in order to do that. In addition, such an endeavor (if it is going to be truly effective) would violate the state constitution. A maneuver where the state withholds funds that would normally flow to the city government, residents, and businesses (like the Israelis do to the Palestinians) would do the trick. Therefore, such a plan would need to create a financial crisis and panic deep enough to put the city in bankruptcy before it is reversed in court. A tricky maneuver indeed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore