Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 09:18 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,626,496 times

Advertisements

Under Stephanie Rawlings-Blake's "leadership," the "peaceful protest" on Saturday turned violent . . . then on Monday, the post-funeral "mourners" expressed their sorrow by looting and burning and assaulting. But then starting on Monday night into Tuesday morning, after Gov. Hogan took charge, the riot was snuffed out fairly quickly.

Coincidence? Maybe. But I'm going to say that Hogan is doing a good job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 10:53 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,357,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Actually, no he doesn't. Not local approval, local request. There's a difference. Don't you think it's telling that Hogan had the order ready when the Mayor called? And he waited. And waited. And waited until she finally did call.

MD's local jurisdictions are very jealous and protective of their Home Rule and charter rights. This extends from this situation down to municipalities with their own police departments. The County law enforcement arm can not respond inside the town unless requested and there is an interjurisdictional agreement in place. No request, no agreement, no response.

I was thinking that she had to request it as well.. but at some point it seems there should be some form of "overide".I do wonder if Hogan had jumped the gun and SENT the National Guard in without the Mayor consent.. he may score points politically in the Counties.. but he would be villified in the City(by some after the dust settled) and likely equated to Putin invading the Ukraine given the *gotcha* politics of today and would become the political fodder until the next election...

Old 04-29-2015, 11:19 AM

3,766 posts, read 4,103,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
^ No, they don't count because they are not relevant. If they DID count, you'd be able to cite, chapter and verse, the requirements for a state governor to deploy NG troops to each and every jurisdiction, You see, what I'm attempting to do is understand if a governor requires local approval to deploy NG troops in a local jurisdiction.

And of course that is not possible to prove because governor has full authority as commander of the state's NG to deploy in an emergency in ANY and EVERY location within the state.

And, after all, with 11 (or is it 12, or 13?) FEMA certifications, you should know that, but you don't, apparently.

If that is what you are attempting to do, why don't you start a thread on it or go to the law library and find out the truth, instead of arguing with someone who is knowledgeable about the situation?

Old 04-29-2015, 11:26 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
I must say, I think the Governor has been handling this whole situation very well. He deployed the National Guard immediately after the city of Baltimore requested it (individual cities must request their help first, which the city of Baltimore was slow to do), he has moved his whole Cabinet to the city of Baltimore for the time being, and he has been giving a very proactive message to city residents not to dwell "on the past", but to look toward the cleanup of the city. If you want to see more of what he's doing, I suggest looking on his Facebook page. This WaPo article chronicles the situation, pertaining to the new Governor, quite effectively:

A political test for a mayor

What are your opinions about Governor Hogan's handling of this mess?
One of the benefits of having a White Republican as governor. Should be the default going forward. It provides cover for pandering black politicians like Blake. They can feed their increasingly irrational electorate garbage and then pass the buck to the mean white guy to clean it up. The Republican gov. gets the benefit of being seen as being tough on those rascally Blacks which appeals to his base.

It's a win/win really.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:00 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,605,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
One of the benefits of having a White Republican as governor. Should be the default going forward. It provides cover for pandering black politicians like Blake. They can feed their increasingly irrational electorate garbage and then pass the buck to the mean white guy to clean it up. The Republican gov. gets the benefit of being seen as being tough on those rascally Blacks which appeals to his base.

It's a win/win really.
It's not so much about race, I'm sure that black Republicans (like Lt. Governor Boyd Rutherford) would have done just as well in handling the situation. The problem lies in the timing of sending out the National Guard, and I believe Gov. Hogan did the best he could (he sent out the call 30 seconds after the city requested it).

Old 04-29-2015, 12:05 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Let's see Hogan actually tried to be proactive. Rawlings-Blake has pretty much been hiding this whole deal and has been behind the whole time. As a liberal, I have the impression that Gov Hogan gives a damn and Mayor Rawlings-Blake does not.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:11 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,458,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
If that is what you are attempting to do, why don't you start a thread on it or go to the law library and find out the truth, instead of arguing with someone who is knowledgeable about the situation?
It is incredibly easy to pull the statute, but the person who was knowledgeable about FEMA issues was mistaken about the Governor's authority.

Personally, I think it's a relevant fact, because Hogan stated that he couldn't react until the Mayor invited him to, which is patently false. Politics are being played even while the city is burning, and guess what; it works. People are lauding Hogan for his responsiveness.

The reality is that he came in with greater resources than the City could ever muster, and he came in after some of the tension had been released through the destructive rioting.

He may be doing a good job, but keeping some of these facts in perspective is relevant.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:49 PM

252 posts, read 425,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Agree

Old 04-29-2015, 01:54 PM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
It is incredibly easy to pull the statute, but the person who was knowledgeable about FEMA issues was mistaken about the Governor's authority.

Personally, I think it's a relevant fact, because Hogan stated that he couldn't react until the Mayor invited him to, which is patently false. Politics are being played even while the city is burning, and guess what; it works. People are lauding Hogan for his responsiveness.

The reality is that he came in with greater resources than the City could ever muster, and he came in after some of the tension had been released through the destructive rioting.

He may be doing a good job, but keeping some of these facts in perspective is relevant.

I guess that I'll have to let the MEMA folks who brief us locals know that they've been telling us the wrong information for, oh, the last 30 years or so.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 04-29-2015 at 02:10 PM..

Old 04-29-2015, 02:20 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
I wrote this yesterday, but it warrants repeating.

If Hogan (White Male, Republican, Governor) had acted without Rawling-Blake's (Black Female, Democrat, Mayor) invitation, the Sh** would have hit the fan.

Everybody would have been wailing and screaming about his big bad and oh so racist Republican snatching authority from the noble black woman who was just trying run her town.

Hogan has done a fine job and could have made her look worse than she has made herself. He has taken the high road. The words everyone is looking for are, "Thank You."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore