Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2015, 08:59 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,424,137 times

Advertisements

*It's going to be a very long hot summer!!!

https://www.baltimorebrew.com/2015/0...comes-irritant

Batts continues curfew decried by civil liberties advocates and citizens

ACLU calls for an end to the night-time restrictions, saying they limit citizen rights and quash press coverage of peaceful protests

Fern Shen May 2, 2015 at 9:51 pm

https://www.baltimorebrew.com/conten...jpg&w=590&zc=0 Signs and voices calling for the curfew to end were everywhere in Baltimore today.
Photo by: Fern Shen

Today civil liberties lawyers said it, speakers outside of City Hall got a crowd to chant it and a 61-year-old legal secretary among them directed an angry message about it at Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake:
“She has got to stop this curfew,” said Amanda B., who lives in Northeast Baltimore and spent her Saturday with over 1,000 marchers fired up by both the fatal arrest of Freddie Gray and restrictions stemming from the five-day-old curfew.
“Look at all the people going to jail for nothing,” she said, referring to the curfew. “Grown adults like us have got to go and sit in the house like children? No!”
This evening Police Commissioner Anthony Batts held a news conference to call on citizens to be “patient” and to say the curfew would continue tonight – despite widespread calls for it to end immediately amid civil liberties concerns and the growing economic effects of the shut-down on restaurants and other businesses.
“We see [today] some of the same people we saw Monday,” Batts said, referring to the chaotic night of Freddie Gray’s funeral that erupted into violence in several parts of the city, leading Mayor Rawlings-Blake to declare a 10 p.m.-5 a.m. curfew effective for a week.
“We’re going to keep everything in place,” Batts said of tonight’s curfew, but added, “We all want to get back to normalcy.”

Last edited by bmwguydc; 05-03-2015 at 07:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 07:43 AM

8,239 posts, read 13,357,122 times
I was in Harbor East yesterday just to take in the weather and grab a beer. It was eerie how empty it was considering the weather and it being a Saturday Afternoon. Streams of heavily armed National Guard members walked around smiling and chatting with folks walking around.. It was surreal given what I have seen on the corner of Pennsy and North.. which though the Guard there were somewhat less chatty and a little more matter of fact.. though certainly not threatening.

Unfortunately the City has not choice but to continue the curfew.. and messed up and inconvenient as it is.. If they just placed West Baltimore under a curfew.. you can just hear the headlines....and the ACLU would be right in the middle of it.. If that don't have a curfew..more headlines as soon as a store is broken into or a flash mob descends on a store. Besides looters are mobile they would just go to another side of town not under curfew and start looting.. so City wide. It is no coincidence that many of the drug stores are closed in the City. I have no doubt that the BPD have credible evidence that there would have been looting/mobbing going on over the weekend. Thousands of folks were expected in the City this weekend to protest and even if just 1% were bad and from out of town.. it could still produce damaging results. Even after the indictment there is no way to tell how many people.. still bent on destruction would still arrive in the City and do damage. As an aside.. where is the ACLU located in Baltimore? If their local office was looted I wonder if they would change their position or if they would say.. Freedom of Speech at its finest.. we have succeeded

I think they want to be more safe than sorry Now it they don't lift it beginning next week.. We will talk again...

Old 05-03-2015, 07:52 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,474,807 times
Although I get the importance of having a cooling off period, I don't understand what's going change so much between now and Tuesday morning that makes it so terrible to just lift the curfew today.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:50 AM

You're too nice Woodie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I was in Harbor East yesterday just to take in the weather and grab a beer. It was eerie how empty it was considering the weather and it being a Saturday Afternoon. Streams of heavily armed National Guard members walked around smiling and chatting with folks walking around.. It was surreal given what I have seen on the corner of Pennsy and North.. which though the Guard there were somewhat less chatty and a little more matter of fact.. though certainly not threatening.

Unfortunately the City has not choice but to continue the curfew.. and messed up and inconvenient as it is.. If they just placed West Baltimore under a curfew.. you can just hear the headlines....and the ACLU would be right in the middle of it.. If that don't have a curfew..more headlines as soon as a store is broken into or a flash mob descends on a store. Besides looters are mobile they would just go to another side of town not under curfew and start looting.. so City wide. It is no coincidence that many of the drug stores are closed in the City. I have no doubt that the BPD have credible evidence that there would have been looting/mobbing going on over the weekend. Thousands of folks were expected in the City this weekend to protest and even if just 1% were bad and from out of town.. it could still produce damaging results. Even after the indictment there is no way to tell how many people.. still bent on destruction would still arrive in the City and do damage. As an aside.. where is the ACLU located in Baltimore? If their local office was looted I wonder if they would change their position or if they would say.. Freedom of Speech at its finest.. we have succeeded

I think they want to be more safe than sorry Now it they don't lift it beginning next week.. We will talk again...

Old 05-03-2015, 09:51 AM

The police wants to make arrests really bad because they got embarrassed on national tv!

Old 05-03-2015, 10:02 AM

Default BREAKING NEWS! Mayor: Baltimore City Curfew Ends Immediately

*Weeizz free Massa!!! Dank U! (no racial pun intended sine it's coming from an African American)

Baltimore Mayor Lifts Curfew 6 Days After Riots « CBS Baltimore

Mayor: Baltimore City Curfew Ends Immediately

May 3, 2015 10:38 AM

https://cbsbaltimore.files.wordpress...rop=1Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake speaks to community members in West Baltimore on April 28, 2015. (Photo by Andrew Burton/Getty Images)

BALTIMORE (WJZ) — Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake ends curfew effective immediately.
In a statement, Rawlings-Blake said:
Effective immediately, I have rescinded my order instituting a city-wide curfew. My goal has always been to not have the curfew in place a single day longer than was necessary.
My number one priority in instituting a curfew was to ensure the public peace, safety, health and welfare of Baltimore citizens. It was not an easy decision, but one I felt was necessary to help our city restore calm.
I want to thank the people of Baltimore for their patience during this difficult time as we continue to come together to heal and restore our City.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 05-03-2015 at 08:37 PM.. Reason: Please do not post copyrighted images
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore